Key can be removed without turning ignition off! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Key can be removed without turning ignition off!

Thanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfECGS Black Friday Sale!!Gear Installs at CCOR Special

Unread 06-23-2011, 11:09 AM   #16
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
my eclipse is the first of 7 cars i've owned that had the acc position FORWARD. all others was back from the off position. heck, only car i've ever driven that was that way.
Hmmmm. Interesting. Must be an American thing!! Never seen it of any British / Jap or European car marketed in the UK....and Ive bought , sold and owned a few. You learn something completely useless everyday!!

alfaitalia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2011, 08:13 AM   #17
djoy
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender42 View Post
I can't tell you how many times I would come out after my gf drove the jeep and found it dead. Took me about 10 times of having to jump it off to figure out it was this!

Sent from my HTC Aria using JeepForum
The best way to tell is to look over and see if your radio clock is still displayed. If it's not, then that's a quick way to tell if you forget to put your key in the off position. I have the worn out key for 3 years and never had a problem.
djoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2011, 08:47 AM   #18
KayCeeJeep
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach68 View Post
Thanks Roach!
KayCeeJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2011, 09:31 AM   #19
CTJeepWJ
2010 JK Wrangler 

I can do this on my 02 Wrangler, it is great for offroading since your keys aren't smashing around your steering column as you are hitting bumps etc.

My WJ has the chip in the key, so I am not sure how that works if you were able to pull the key out while running.

BLACK JEEP SOCIETY
www.facebook.com/BlackJeepSociety
2010 JK & 2004 WJ
CTJeepWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2011, 08:59 PM   #20
josephmartins
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Damnit. I've been beating myself up over a mysterious batter drain issue for the past several days. First I thought it was the lift gate switch. Then I thought it might be a ground. It was only yesterday evening that I realized the radio clock was still on after removing the key. I missed that detail previously (assuming that it was supposed to work that way). Today I realized my key could be removed while driving....and while in ACC position.

Found this thread and realized my drain was due to accidentally leaving the WJ in ACC overnight. Now that I know the key is so easily removed in ACC, I just need to be more careful.

Joe Martins
Milford, NH

12 Wrangler Sahara JK8 conversion, <10 miles (FOR SALE, $56,700)
01 WJ Limited, 4.7, 247, black on black, 157k miles (sold)
96 XJ Classic, 4.0, 242, black on grey, 267k miles (sold)
00 XJ Sport, 4.0, 242, fern green on grey, 76k miles (sold)
90 XJ Wagoneer, 4.0, 242, burgundy on tan, unknown mileage (sold)
97 ZJ Limited, 5.2, 249, black on black, 138k miles (wrecked 12/15/05)
98 ZJ Limited, 5.2, 249, burgundy on black, 197k miles (sold)
josephmartins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2011, 04:40 AM   #21
rostig1
1999 WJ 

Mine also has this "problem". I had a few dead batteries before I realized it. I have a lot of keys on my ring so now I just through my keys in front of the shifter to stop the clanging. When I get out I just grab the first key I can, it doesn't have to be jeep, and cut the switch to the lock position. When the switch locks you know it, no way then to leave it in acc.
rostig1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2011, 09:45 PM   #22
04bullet
2004 WJ 

HAHA 70$ high for a key my familys GTOs spare key was 270
04bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.