Key can be removed without turning ignition off! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Key can be removed without turning ignition off!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiSpartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.8

Unread 06-21-2011, 04:12 AM   #1
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

Wj Key can be removed without turning ignition off!

Discovered yesterday that I can remove the key (from my 2004 Grand CHerokee CRD) without turning it off (ie leaving it in the on and running position). This means I can remove the key and leave the engine running!! The engine turns off no prob if I turn the key. Cant see it ever really being a problem as Im unlikely to walk away and not notice the engine is running but what is the prob and it there an easy fix? If its a new ignition switch then I prob wont bother. Key is fairly worn so might just be that I guess. Have not tried spare key yet.

Thanks in advance.

alfaitalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2011, 05:15 AM   #2
99SK04GTX
2004 WJ 

I wish mine would do that! It is probably a worn key; try the spare key and report back
99SK04GTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2011, 06:17 AM   #3
djoy
1999 WJ 

All my keys do that (198k miles) and love it. If you leave some one in the car or need to run to get something or even to just warm it up in the cold winter. You can just lock all the doors
djoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2011, 07:36 AM   #4
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I wish mine did that. I had an F250 that would do it. It was awesome! How does your engine run still without the computer chipped key near by. Does it only check upon start to see that it's the correct key then doesn't check any more?
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2011, 09:30 AM   #5
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

"How does your engine run still without the computer chipped key near by. Does it only check upon start to see that it's the correct key then doesn't check any more? "

Correct. The ECU only checks the chip at start up which takes a sec or two. Thats why you can start the car with a duff/missing chip but it will only run for 2 or three seconds until it realises the problem.
Unread 06-21-2011, 09:59 AM   #6
Ender42
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaitalia
"How does your engine run still without the computer chipped key near by. Does it only check upon start to see that it's the correct key then doesn't check any more? "

Correct. The ECU only checks the chip at start up which takes a sec or two. Thats why you can start the car with a duff/missing chip but it will only run for 2 or three seconds until it realises the problem.
I don't get who's keys are chipped and who's aren't... all of my keys are lowes hardware copies. Is it just certain packages that do it?

Sent from my HTC Aria using JeepForum

[B][SIZE="4"]76 CJ7[/SIZE][/B], 4.2l I-6, 2 inch body lift

[B]Greater love has no man than this, than he who lay down his life for his friends.[/B]
Ender42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2011, 10:13 AM   #7
KayCeeJeep
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender42 View Post
I don't get who's keys are chipped and who's aren't... all of my keys are lowes hardware copies. Is it just certain packages that do it?

I think it depends on the year, the cheapest second key I can find for my 04 is $70, I'm betting your 99 is different.

I also noticed the other day it was apparent my key would come out if I wanted it to...I stuck it back down in there quick as I was worried about the chip too. Now I won't have to I guess. Reminded me of my first Jeep many years ago, which was a 72 model, the key would come right out of it also. Of course chips weren't even thought of then.
KayCeeJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2011, 10:23 AM   #8
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

$70 seems kinda high for a key unless that's dealer price.

I only had one key when I bought mine. To avoid losing keys and having to buy more every time one went missing, I decided to order 3 more keys and 2 key fobs. Order them off the internet somewhere and had the dealer program them. Not sure where I bought them from. I am also not sure if I can put up a website but if you google jeep transponder key, you will find some websites with really good prices. Dealer did all 5 of my devices for $50. I figured, might as well do it all at once for $50 rather than one key at a time for $50 each time.
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2011, 10:38 AM   #9
GRTeam
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaitalia View Post
... Cant see it ever really being a problem as Im unlikely to walk away and not notice the engine is running but what is the prob and it there an easy fix? ...
It's a worn key. This could be a problem if you remove the key in the "Acc" position without noticing this. It's very easy. Happened to me several times before I understood that the key coulb be removed in any position.
The result was that in 2 days the battery was drained. Luckily I had another car nearby, so I could jump start the engine.
If this happens in the wrong place at the wrong time, one might be in trouble ...

Last edited by GRTeam; 06-23-2011 at 05:49 AM.. Reason: Typo
GRTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2011, 12:30 PM   #10
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

Thanks for the advice about leaving it in ACC position. Never even noticed the ACC position is backwards from from the OFF/LOCK position. Strange..on most cars its the first position clockwise. Will watch out for that.

My spare key is nowhere near as worn as my main key ...but still pulls out...so might be wear in the lock itself.
Unread 06-21-2011, 12:44 PM   #11
GRTeam
1999 WJ 

Quote:
... Strange..on most cars its the first position clockwise. ...
That's why it took me a while to understand what the reason for the mysterious battery drain was.

With the key in the ACC position we measured 1.5 - 1.6A.
GRTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2011, 01:32 PM   #12
KayCeeJeep
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHager View Post
$70 seems kinda high for a key unless that's dealer price.

I only had one key when I bought mine. To avoid losing keys and having to buy more every time one went missing, I decided to order 3 more keys and 2 key fobs. Order them off the internet somewhere and had the dealer program them. Not sure where I bought them from. I am also not sure if I can put up a website but if you google jeep transponder key, you will find some websites with really good prices. Dealer did all 5 of my devices for $50. I figured, might as well do it all at once for $50 rather than one key at a time for $50 each time.
I will check that out, thanks! Been putting it off due to expense.
KayCeeJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2011, 11:04 PM   #13
Ender42
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRTeam

It's a worn key. This could be a problem if you remove the key in the "Acc" position without noticing this. It's very easy. Happened to me several times before I understood that the key can be removed in any position.
The result was that in 2 days the battery was drained. Luckily I had another car nearby, so I could jump start the engine.
If this happens in the wrong place in the wrong time, one might be in trouble ...
I can't tell you how many times I would come out after my gf drove the jeep and found it dead. Took me about 10 times of having to jump it off to figure out it was this!

[B][SIZE="4"]76 CJ7[/SIZE][/B], 4.2l I-6, 2 inch body lift

[B]Greater love has no man than this, than he who lay down his life for his friends.[/B]
Ender42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2011, 04:52 AM   #14
roach68
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayCeeJeep View Post
I think it depends on the year, the cheapest second key I can find for my 04 is $70, I'm betting your 99 is different.

I also noticed the other day it was apparent my key would come out if I wanted it to...I stuck it back down in there quick as I was worried about the chip too. Now I won't have to I guess. Reminded me of my first Jeep many years ago, which was a 72 model, the key would come right out of it also. Of course chips weren't even thought of then.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/55216_901.htm
Unread 06-23-2011, 05:57 AM   #15
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Thanks for the advice about leaving it in ACC position. Never even noticed the ACC position is backwards from from the OFF/LOCK position. Strange..on most cars its the first position clockwise. Will watch out for that.

My spare key is nowhere near as worn as my main key ...but still pulls out...so might be wear in the lock itself.
my eclipse is the first of 7 cars i've owned that had the acc position FORWARD. all others was back from the off position. heck, only car i've ever driven that was that way.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.