Key - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Key

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 10-17-2014, 06:33 PM   #1
xjpete
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Key

When I purchased my 2001 Grand Cherokee 2 weeks ago, it only came with 1 key. I keep reading the stories of having more than 1 key but how many really use the 2nd key? I live maybe 4 miles from a Jeep dealer so that is not an issue but can I just get 1 made? or do I need codes to program the second key. Also this may have been discussed on here before but how hard is it to bypass this key security system? Can the ignition be switched so no security key is used just a regular key?

xjpete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2014, 06:39 PM   #2
losttech

2000 WJ 

Do you need a second key up to you.
You need 2 programmed keys to program your own keys the remotes have to be done at the dealer maybe a locksmith too but you cant program the FOB by yourself.
Bypass the security I don't think its easy I am sure you could really do it if your tried hard enough but not worth the hassle to me and will possibly screw on insurance if your car ever gets stolen.
losttech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2014, 06:43 PM   #3
xjpete
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I like the fact the Jeep cant get stolen by using any key to start it or hot wire it. I will get another key on E Bay or Home Depot as I have one less than a block away. Appreciate the reply!
Unread 10-17-2014, 06:55 PM   #4
losttech

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjpete View Post
I like the fact the Jeep cant get stolen by using any key to start it or hot wire it. I will get another key on E Bay or Home Depot as I have one less than a block away. Appreciate the reply!
Unless they sell chipped keys and can program them the key will only open the door wont start the car.
Just letting you know that may be all you want just an emergency open the door key.
Unread 10-17-2014, 07:03 PM   #5
xjpete
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Is there a battery in the key? If so does it need to be replaced? I didn't even get the key fob that locks and unlocks the doors. Can the fobs be purchased and do they need to be programmed?
Unread 10-17-2014, 07:19 PM   #6
joe12473
2002 WJ 

The keys have transponders in them. Lowes can make a new one if you have your old one, and Advanced auto and other planes can get you a new fob if you don't have your old one.
joe12473 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2014, 07:26 PM   #7
xjpete
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Does the fob need to be programmed? OEM one on E-Bay say they are not programmable and must be taken to dealer.
Unread 10-17-2014, 07:43 PM   #8
irzyxel
2004 WJ 

I've had two WJ and both came with two keys. Neither of the second keys were programmed. I've yet to get it done. I think, if I remember right, the dealer said it'd be about $45 to program my key. The first WJ's second key came with another fob and it didn't work either. Strange.
Unread 10-17-2014, 07:54 PM   #9
multmigs
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by losttech View Post
Do you need a second key up to you.
You need 2 programmed keys to program your own keys the remotes have to be done at the dealer maybe a locksmith too but you cant program the FOB by yourself.
This is the correct answer not sure why you are still questioning? Sounds like you will need a trip to dealer to do anything regardless if you buy the keys or fobs online or not. My dealer usually gives a break on the price of a key if you pay them to do the programming and I would think would be likely to do all the programming you want for a flat fee since its all the same program on their computer.
multmigs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2014, 02:41 AM   #10
xjpete
1997 XJ Cherokee 

The reason for asking is on E-Bay the one fob I saw says ready to go-nothing about programming.
Unread 10-18-2014, 03:16 AM   #11
losttech

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjpete View Post
The reason for asking is on E-Bay the one fob I saw says ready to go-nothing about programming.
Understand all the jeeps use chip keys its RFID like packages in stores just a little magnetic strip with a code on it that is set to your car.
Best bet if you want to save money is to buy from these guys had good luck with keys and they returned a bad FOB no issue.
https://ikeyless.com/

I would not buy the remote/FOB from them just the keys and then get them cut and programmed at dealer or wherever you can find to do it for cheap dealer is best they do it buy code and not copy old key which is worn out.

I think they charged me 30ish to cut and program all 3 keys but I did buy a new FOB at 130 so they might have given me a price break. You can always call and ask them.
Unread 10-18-2014, 03:42 AM   #12
xjpete
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I will try them losttech-thanks for the reply!
Unread 10-18-2014, 06:30 PM   #13
WXman
2001 WJ 

Locksmith here told me he will come to my location and make me a new key for $75 bucks. Also, if you only have one key and lose that one it's more difficult and expensive to get up and running again. Get a second key while you can. I keep putting this off myself....I need to get it done.
'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
WXman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.