Keep fixing or buy new? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Keep fixing or buy new?

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-26-2014, 05:46 PM   #31
Frost4
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WXman View Post
164K and it's worn out? You must have a 4.7.

First of all...do not buy the GM unless you want to go from bad to worse. No joke. A GM truck will money you to death...ESPECIALLY the '99-'07 years.

I guess if I was faced with this decision it would come down to "how much do I really love this vehicle?" If you truly love your Jeep it definitely makes sense to "keep fixing" it. If the transmission is done properly it'll last you the rest of the life of the vehicle. The other stuff is relatively minor. If, on the other hand, you're mentally just ready to move on...don't spend a dime on the Jeep and start shopping now.

I would stick to Chrysler. Yes they have their issues but GM has more issues and Ford isn't far behind. And trust me...I've owned them all in the past 10 years.
I love my Chevy trucks I have had a good few trucks and blazers so has my wife. always been treated right. My next truck will be a Chevy duramax. That being said. I love my jeep and it is easy to work on yourself. I would fix the jeep car payments suck. Is there no junk yard around. There is tons around Utah and parts are cheep. Any vehicle you take care of will last you. 2 wheel drive is no bueno. Especially in Utah. Find a 4x4 of you want a tahoe.

Frost4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2014, 07:26 PM   #32
Ravie
1999 WJ 

I don't claim to be an expert, but after the rear end on my FIL's grenaded while he was driving down the road, I did some research and my basic review of them via the next is that Durangos SUCK. He later had to have the entire front end redone. Yeah. No thanks. And probably even worse gas mileage than a WJ.

I fall into the category of guys that think you should fix what's wrong instead of buying someone else's used headache.
Unread 05-26-2014, 10:37 PM   #33
jeep1987
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mp5ben View Post
Probably your IAC. Very common on WJ. If the throttle body has never been cleaned you should probably do that. Very simple job that'll take about 30 minutes.
I figured it out, it's the Crankshaft position sensor, gonna get it fixed when I send it in for the transmission tomorrow or do it myself if I have time.
jeep1987 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2014, 10:55 PM   #34
new2site
2002 WJ 

Tahoe's are some of the most reliable vehicles out there...period... (next to Ford Rangers
Out here in So Cal I know I shop that will do a complete WJ tranny rebuild w/ removal and installation and 1 year warranty for $1,400 total.
new2site is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2014, 08:10 AM   #35
curbry
2012 WK 

Coming in a little late but if you know what's wrong with your jeep and it's less to fix then the others are to buy, then why buy somebody elses headache?

I say this after getting a good deal on my 04 jeep but then funneling parts into it to keep up on maint.

2004 WJ 4.0L, 4x4 automatic 42re select trac, 242 tcase, d30 & d35, manual AC - my run around

2014 Mustang GT 5.0 with some goodies but nothing major yet...
curbry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2014, 08:20 AM   #36
AdamWY
2004 WJ 

dude if it's idling bad you should have compression checked before you spend another penny. If you fix that trans and then find out your motor is blown, too, you're gonna be in wayy over your head. Except I wouldn't go durango, hell either, in my opinion. There's a reason durango's don't hold their value. Jeep all the way. Get something else with a inline 6, a cherokee before the head issues. 96 oughta do it. Those engines will run forever. If you wanna dump the money into yours though, not saying it's wrong, but compression check that stuff first that way you at least know what you are getting into. That idling thing could be very bad stuff. Good luck
AdamWY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2014, 08:24 PM   #37
jeep1987
2001 WJ 

I got the transmission rebuilt(didn't have enough money for new). It isn't coming out of gear anymore but it downshifts really hard. For example, I'll be driving from my house to the stop sign, when I let off the gas to stop it slams into gear. Or if I'm driving say 55 mph and get on the gas to speed up it will sometimes slam down and then speed up. Any ideas on what it could be? I'm going to call the shop that worked on it tomorrow.
jeep1987 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.