Keep fixing or buy new? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Keep fixing or buy new?

THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 05-22-2014, 11:27 AM   #16
nickfast
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WXman View Post
164K and it's worn out? You must have a 4.7.
Dude, did a 4.7 steal your lunch money when you were a kid?
I have only been in the WJ section for a couple of weeks, but anytime 4.7 is mentioned, I see you chiming in with how horrifyingly bad the engine is.
we get it-you don't like the V8.

nickfast is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2014, 11:47 AM   #17
BustedZJ
1999 WJ 

^^ 4.7 stole my ice cream money! i am scarred for life!!!
BustedZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2014, 11:57 AM   #18
skain8
Under Construction

2002 WJ 

Quote:

First of all...do not buy the GM unless you want to go from bad to worse. No joke. A GM truck will money you to death...ESPECIALLY the '99-'07 years.

I guess if I was faced with this decision it would come down to "how much do I really love this vehicle?" If you truly love your Jeep it definitely makes sense to "keep fixing" it. If the transmission is done properly it'll last you the rest of the life of the vehicle. The other stuff is relatively minor. If, on the other hand, you're mentally just ready to move on...don't spend a dime on the Jeep and start shopping now.

I would stick to Chrysler. Yes they have their issues but GM has more issues and Ford isn't far behind. And trust me...I've owned them all in the past 10 years.
Love your generalities. Keep them coming.

'02 WJ: 4.7L, 5", HP44/9", 231HD, tall & skinny KM2's
'99 XJ: stock
'99 XJ: stolen
'06 XK: sold
231HD build guide
skain8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2014, 01:36 PM   #19
jeep1987
2001 WJ 

Quote:

First of all...do not buy the GM unless you want to go from bad to worse. No joke. A GM truck will money you to death...ESPECIALLY the '99-'07 years.

I guess if I was faced with this decision it would come down to "how much do I really love this vehicle?" If you truly love your Jeep it definitely makes sense to "keep fixing" it. If the transmission is done properly it'll last you the rest of the life of the vehicle. The other stuff is relatively minor. If, on the other hand, you're mentally just ready to move on...don't spend a dime on the Jeep and start shopping now.

I would stick to Chrysler. Yes they have their issues but GM has more issues and Ford isn't far behind. And trust me...I've owned them all in the past 10 years.
It's a 4.0. I've been calling around some more for transmissions. So far I've found $2100 for a used that has 115k miles with 6 month warranty or $3100 for a new one with 100k mile warranty. Nothing at junkyards around here.
jeep1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2014, 01:55 PM   #20
TURNER76
1999 WJ 

If you do not turn your own wrenches and enjoy It, I say get rid of It and move on.
TURNER76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2014, 02:02 PM   #21
DeChache
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURNER76 View Post
If you do not turn your own wrenches and enjoy It, I say get rid of It and move on.

This

I keep fixing the WJ but I turn my own wrenches.

I'd prob go for a Tahoe over a Durango but that's just me.
Unread 05-22-2014, 03:08 PM   #22
Merc1973
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BustedZJ View Post
find out why it is idleing rough. that would be your potentially most expensive fix. if it is simple, like spark plugs or vacuum leak, fix it. if the motor is shot (blow-by, lost compression, bad bearings) go from there. a/c blowing on high only is a blower motor resistor, about $40 if you are manual HVAC. 10 min to swap it. do the brakes yourself and it would run you around $100, you can always find coupon deals for advance auto online and order for pickup in store. get a trans with a warranty from the j/y and swap it for a couple hundred and good to go! hell my motor swap 4.0 only cost me $450 and i got functional accessories with it.

This. It's all about repairing and maintaining things yourself. I bet if you kept up with maintenance, you wouldn't be in as deep...

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Merc1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2014, 03:47 PM   #23
Range07
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc1973 View Post

This. It's all about repairing and maintaining things yourself. I bet if you kept up with maintenance, you wouldn't be in as deep...
Agreed. The only reason I sold my zj after 9 years was that I had let rhe maintenance get away from me, and it got to a point where it would take more than I could handle to get it back in good shape.

with my n2m wj, I immediately got the maintenance level to 100%. Im now working on fixing cosmetic flaws and things on a personal level, and im almost done with that, and its fun. I definitely learned my lesson.

if its too far gone, let someone have it cheap so they can repair it. But I guarantee that both the tahoe and the durango will soon have maintenance bills of their own, in addition to payments, simply because theyre used vehicles approaching 10 years old
Range07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2014, 08:41 PM   #24
BustedZJ
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Range07 View Post
Agreed. The only reason I sold my zj after 9 years was that I had let rhe maintenance get away from me, and it got to a point where it would take more than I could handle to get it back in good shape.

with my n2m wj, I immediately got the maintenance level to 100%. Im now working on fixing cosmetic flaws and things on a personal level, and im almost done with that, and its fun. I definitely learned my lesson.

if its too far gone, let someone have it cheap so they can repair it. But I guarantee that both the tahoe and the durango will soon have maintenance bills of their own, in addition to payments, simply because theyre used vehicles approaching 10 years old
did the same thing with my WJ. got it, and replaced engine. i have added things it needed (tow hitch, stronger springs, akebono calipers, trans cooler) and have gotten all the fluids changed (except trans, but that is coming) and fixed A/C. now it is just keep up with it and work on little things along the way.

and a used car is still a used car. even if it is a little newer, that doesnt make it flawless. going with the lower end of the price spectrum would mean it is probably more prone to needing something, unless you get incredibly lucky.
BustedZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2014, 05:26 AM   #25
WXman
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamJam View Post
Hey! My 99 Silverado has been a wonderful truck! It will not money you to death.
You're one in a million. Congrats.

[quote=Darnice;23108057]
Quote:
164K and it's worn out? You must have a 4.7

Nope says 4.0 in his profile, so stop bashing

Who takes time to go look through a profile? He should fill out his sig.

And, I'm not bashing. Since when is telling the truth bashing? You must be a liberal.

You can all kiss my ***. I've owned two 4.7s. If you've really paid attention to my threads you'd know that. And 4.7s are dropping like flies on this forum. So it's the truth. Get over it.

Back to the original point of this thread...I gave my honest advice. If you love the Jeep, keep fixing it. It makes more sense to do that. But if you're mentally ready to move on then you should do that now and not waste any more cash.
'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2014, 09:04 AM   #26
Darnice
2004 WJ 

[quote=WXman;23126121]You're one in a million. Congrats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darnice View Post

Who takes time to go look through a profile? He should fill out his sig.

And, I'm not bashing. Since when is telling the truth bashing? You must be a liberal.

You can all kiss my ***. I've owned two 4.7s. If you've really paid attention to my threads you'd know that. And 4.7s are dropping like flies on this forum. So it's the truth. Get over it.

Back to the original point of this thread...I gave my honest advice. If you love the Jeep, keep fixing it. It makes more sense to do that. But if you're mentally ready to move on then you should do that now and not waste any more cash.

Yea, what ever, I love my 4.7, that is true.
But bashing the 4.7 can go both ways, the 4.0 has is share of problems too, its no God of all engines either. I see just as many posts both ways for "won't start" won't run right" , " head Gasket", "Exhaust" etc.
They are both a durable if take care of, that's the facts.
If you like your 4.0, great, but it does not give you the superiority complex you seem to have.

Things break, making smart azz comments like yours was of no value to the OP.

I'm not getting into a pissing match with you, just were all here to help.
Darnice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2014, 10:14 AM   #27
jeep1987
2001 WJ 

Well I was going to fix the transmission, buy new pads and rotors, replace the spark plugs...but now it just cut off on me. I was driving on the highway and it just shut off. I was planning on changing the oil(about 3k since last change and it's dark) and then taking it to the transmission shop but now I don't know what to do. Any ideas why it would turn off as I'm driving? The other day I was at a light and it rumbled, shook, and then lurched forward a little as my foot was on the brake. I'd rather fix it if I can because I'm about to have a medical bill coming up.
Unread 05-26-2014, 10:27 AM   #28
jeep1987
2001 WJ 

Also, after it shut off it didn't start right back up, it took a minute of cranking and stopping before it came back on.
Unread 05-26-2014, 11:36 AM   #29
Mp5ben
2001 WJ 

Probably your IAC. Very common on WJ. If the throttle body has never been cleaned you should probably do that. Very simple job that'll take about 30 minutes.
Mp5ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2014, 03:45 PM   #30
gold01wj
2000 WJ 

Quote:
You're one in million. congrats.
Guess he's two in a million....
1998 Chevrolet k2500hd owned it for 10 years 200000 on the clock.6" RCD lift and 315/75/16s Original 7.4 (that's a 454 in case wxman can't count that high) original 4l80e. the biggest things I've had to do to it are front hub bearings a fuel pump and valve cover gaskets. For 10 years it's been and continues to be the most dependable vehicle I own.(I've got 4 at the moment)

From now on how about we speak about what is on topic. The op never asked for your insightful opinion on any member of the big 3 In Detroit.
Back on track now:
Op if it were me id fix the jeep. A few hundred or a thousand dollars over a few weeks or months is better than 1-200 minimum a month for the next few years. If your remotely handy with a wrench you can get it running on your own and save your self some big cash.
There is a wealth of info on this and other forums that can get you thru the common repairs our 10+ year old wjs need.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.