Keep fixing or buy new? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Keep fixing or buy new?

Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 05-22-2014, 06:50 AM   #1
jeep1987
2001 WJ 

Keep fixing or buy new?

I can't decide if I should put some money into my Jeep or buy something else. I love my jeep but at the same time it's becoming a pain in the ***.

Right now I'm looking at a 03 Tahoe 2wd and a 05 Durango 4x4.

My Jeep needs a new transmission, brake pads and possibly rotors(metal on metal sound), charge the a/c again, only high works on the a/c now, it has started idling rough(it nearly shut off after starting it for some reason 2 days ago). It has 164,000 miles, I feel like it's near the point when my 95 started falling apart.

So what would you do, put some money into it or get something else with a payment?

jeep1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2014, 06:57 AM   #2
Terminal
2000 WJ 

"Keep Fixing" is the key here. Whether you buy new or not, you'll still keep fixing a Jeep.
Terminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2014, 07:06 AM   #3
jeep1987
2001 WJ 

I don't plan to get another Jeep, although I really like them. After I got this one the radiator fan and radiator broke and I told myself I won't buy another, but's hard not to too. I'm concerned about the Duragno though since it is also a Chrysler product, but I can get a good deal on one.
Unread 05-22-2014, 07:19 AM   #4
Trav1s
2004 WJ 

I have read that from a financial standpoint you are money ahead if your repairs are less than $1000/year. If you want something different then that is your call. As far as I am concerned it is this simple: Any used vehicle over 5 years old or 75k miles is going to need repairs. I'd rather stick with my known instead of jumping into another unknown.
Unread 05-22-2014, 07:27 AM   #5
BustedZJ
1999 WJ 

find out why it is idleing rough. that would be your potentially most expensive fix. if it is simple, like spark plugs or vacuum leak, fix it. if the motor is shot (blow-by, lost compression, bad bearings) go from there. a/c blowing on high only is a blower motor resistor, about $40 if you are manual HVAC. 10 min to swap it. do the brakes yourself and it would run you around $100, you can always find coupon deals for advance auto online and order for pickup in store. get a trans with a warranty from the j/y and swap it for a couple hundred and good to go! hell my motor swap 4.0 only cost me $450 and i got functional accessories with it.
BustedZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2014, 07:28 AM   #6
onlyjeepv8
2004 WJ 

Repairs are part of driving

Go and repair what you got,it will be as new when done
Unread 05-22-2014, 07:29 AM   #7
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trav1s View Post
As far as I am concerned it is this simple: Any used vehicle over 5 years old or 75k miles is going to need repairs. I'd rather stick with my known instead of jumping into another unknown.
Exactly correct. OP, is the WJ paid off? An 05 Durango is what - $9k? That's ~$200/month on a car payment. If you put less than $2,400 into the WJ per year, you're better off than adding a new car payment to your bills, especially considering you won't be gaining any fuel mileage.

That being said, there is always a point where it's time to send the ole' girl to the farm. Hypothetically, if it's worth $3k, dropping $5k into it to get it running seems a little crazy.

Depending on your situation, you should fall somewhere near one side or the other.

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2014, 07:48 AM   #8
jeep1987
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHager View Post
Exactly correct. OP, is the WJ paid off? An 05 Durango is what - $9k? That's ~$200/month on a car payment. If you put less than $2,400 into the WJ per year, you're better off than adding a new car payment to your bills, especially considering you won't be gaining any fuel mileage.

That being said, there is always a point where it's time to send the ole' girl to the farm. Hypothetically, if it's worth $3k, dropping $5k into it to get it running seems a little crazy.

Depending on your situation, you should fall somewhere near one side or the other.
It's been paid off for a while now. There are a few Durangos for $9k-$6k, I was going to get the $6k if I did. Loan payment would be about $100-$167 a month depending on how much I take out. The tahoe is 9k.

I've called a bunch of junk yards and checked craigslist, can't find anything. It will be about $1600 at a shop to get one put in, one shop has a transmission with 90k, not sure what the other one has or if it will rebuild.
Unread 05-22-2014, 07:54 AM   #9
BustedZJ
1999 WJ 

do the trans yourself and save TONS of $$$. unless you don't have another ride for temporary, or just don't have the time.
Unread 05-22-2014, 08:26 AM   #10
Trav1s
2004 WJ 

A $6k Durango is going to give you another list of repairs. Do some research on the platform before you jump. Ball joints were a huge problem on Dakotas and 1500 Ram trucks from that time...
Unread 05-22-2014, 08:53 AM   #11
Highschool_WJ
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trav1s
A $6k Durango is going to give you another list of repairs. Do some research on the platform before you jump. Ball joints were a huge problem on Dakotas and 1500 Ram trucks from that time...
This^

I had many more problems with the steering and suspension in the two ram 1500s that we've owned then I ever had with my jeep that has like 40k more miles then either of those trucks
Highschool_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2014, 09:48 AM   #12
BustedZJ
1999 WJ 

i had a durango, and i ended up replacing all of the ball joints on it at one time. huge pita...
Unread 05-22-2014, 10:20 AM   #13
WXman
2001 WJ 

164K and it's worn out? You must have a 4.7.

First of all...do not buy the GM unless you want to go from bad to worse. No joke. A GM truck will money you to death...ESPECIALLY the '99-'07 years.

I guess if I was faced with this decision it would come down to "how much do I really love this vehicle?" If you truly love your Jeep it definitely makes sense to "keep fixing" it. If the transmission is done properly it'll last you the rest of the life of the vehicle. The other stuff is relatively minor. If, on the other hand, you're mentally just ready to move on...don't spend a dime on the Jeep and start shopping now.

I would stick to Chrysler. Yes they have their issues but GM has more issues and Ford isn't far behind. And trust me...I've owned them all in the past 10 years.
'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2014, 10:34 AM   #14
HamJam
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WXman View Post
164K and it's worn out? You must have a 4.7.

First of all...do not buy the GM unless you want to go from bad to worse. No joke. A GM truck will money you to death...ESPECIALLY the '99-'07 years.

I guess if I was faced with this decision it would come down to "how much do I really love this vehicle?" If you truly love your Jeep it definitely makes sense to "keep fixing" it. If the transmission is done properly it'll last you the rest of the life of the vehicle. The other stuff is relatively minor. If, on the other hand, you're mentally just ready to move on...don't spend a dime on the Jeep and start shopping now.

I would stick to Chrysler. Yes they have their issues but GM has more issues and Ford isn't far behind. And trust me...I've owned them all in the past 10 years.
Hey! My 99 Silverado has been a wonderful truck! It will not money you to death.
HamJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2014, 10:58 AM   #15
Darnice
2004 WJ 

[QUOTE=WXman;23106993]164K and it's worn out? You must have a 4.7

Nope says 4.0 in his profile, so stop bashing
Darnice is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.