Katzkin Leather Seat Write-Up - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Katzkin Leather Seat Write-Up

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wNew Hours at RUFFSTUFF!Enjoy 5% off in April 2000-2006 Jeep Wrangler Ignition Coi

Unread 04-18-2015, 10:28 AM   #1
Robx4
2004 WJ 

Wj Katzkin Leather Seat Write-Up

I posted a question about my Katzkin installation and had more than a few requests for a write-up. Its been busy, so I am just getting a few minutes so here it is.

My WJ is an 04 with over 200k on the clock. New seat skins were in order and I ordered a set from SAR out of New York. Wayne was my rep and was very thorough and had me send photos of the existing seats to have Katzkin confirm my seats style was available. He also sent me a swatch book to make sure I knew what my new seats would look like.

About 4 days after placing the order, my new seat leathers arrived. Installation was very labor intensive and pretty tedious. They replacement leathers fit perfectly and the installation looks great.

To anyone considering this upgrade, I would say do it with the following caveats:

1) The replacement covers are made from the original patterns. This means if your foams are crushed, torn, or damaged, they will not look right. Better to fix or replace seat foams rather than save a buck and screw up the appearance of an otherwise perfect fit.

2) Do this job when you are not rushed in any way. You will have to form and move the leather into position and then, the terrifying part, CUT your new leather where headrests, screws, electrics and levers pass through. Scary, but if you measure twice, cut once, it will be fine.

3) Headrests: Hard to do right if you try to wrestle them on. The trick is to put a plastic bag around the headrest, hold a vacuum hose to seal the bag, run the vacuum to suck out air. This shrinks the headrest enough to easily install the new cover and clip it closed before the foam "Re-inflates"

4) Take your time and do your homework first. YouTube is your friend. Take the seats out, disassemble, strip, clean and TAKE YOUR TIME!

5) New leather smells Great. (Not an instruction, I just really like the smell.

That's about it. The job, overall, is not hard. It is very tedious and nerve wracking at times, so just take your time and enjoy!

imag0179.jpg   imag0203.jpg   imag0182.jpg   imag0191.jpg   imag0192.jpg  

imag0194.jpg   imag0199.jpg  
Robx4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2015, 10:35 AM   #2
PolarWolf

That looks pretty. Congrats on a job well done!
Unread 04-18-2015, 10:52 AM   #3
Vaporhead
2004 WJ 

Looks great! How much did it set you back?
Vaporhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2015, 11:30 AM   #4
r_kelly252
2001 WJ 

Damn, Ive wanted a katskin interior for a long time. Their website doesn't list wj's. But I did find a brand new Columbia edition interior on eBay.
My overland though.....
So how much and what's the order process? Who is SAR...and what's their number.
r_kelly252 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2015, 12:01 PM   #5
Robx4
2004 WJ 

There are many different prices/options. www.shopsar.com They are an automotive specialty shop out of N.Y. For your Overland: Mine were the same. I am sure they have them. As far as the brand new interior, by the time you buy all the pieces, I think Katzkins will be a little less. And the leather is much better quality than stock. You can customize everything with Katzkin, so there is no fixed price. Mine with leather front and back, perforated inserts front and back, MOPAR embroidery in 2 colors and blue reverse stitching on all seats and headrests were right at $1200.00 and worth every penny.
Unread 04-18-2015, 02:28 PM   #6
r_kelly252
2001 WJ 

$1200 is a lot but I agree with worth every penny... You get what u pay for and your eyes see this right away. So even for looks factor its worth it to me.
Thanks for the link
r_kelly252 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2015, 02:52 PM   #7
Jeeples
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

Me likey!

Also, thanks for the follow up!

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2015, 03:15 PM   #8
multmigs
2003 WJ 

what color leather did you order?
multmigs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2015, 03:31 PM   #9
JRobes
2004 WJ 

dang those look great. awesome color combination.
Unread 04-18-2015, 04:19 PM   #10
99WJ539918
1999 WJ 

Looks great.
99WJ539918 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2015, 07:18 PM   #11
Robx4
2004 WJ 

Wj

They are black leather with black perforated inserts and blue stitching. I think the color is better than the stock
bluish grey.
Unread Yesterday, 12:42 PM   #12
leadsled jeep
2002 WJ 

Did you replace any worn foam? If so, did you form it yourself or where did you source it? Thanks.
'02 Overland 130k+ miles. 245-70-17 GG AT2's. BDS 2" lift, Bilstein 5100's, JKS QDs. Addco Swaybars F/R. Stillen Front Rotors/ Pads. TRE's, BJ's, wheel bearings. 100% Amsoil. I like my rifles like my coffee, hot, black and continually refilled.
leadsled jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 02:27 PM   #13
Robx4
2004 WJ 

Good Question. I did decide to replace the foam bottom on the drivers side. Since the leathers are based off of the original pattern, it assumes the original foam dimensions. I originally replaced the drivers side bottom foam because it was pretty flattened after 200+ k. After seeing the finished product, I also ordered the passenger side foam (bottom only as well). The old passenger side foam was ok, but it didn't look as good for feel as comfortable as the new drivers side. As long as I am spending that much on leathers, to cheap out on the foams seemed a little silly. The foam is MOPAR. I found someone who said they could "fab" me some new foams for $50.00 less each, but I could not be certain that they met original dimensions. In for a penny, in for a pound!

Last edited by Robx4; Today at 02:29 PM.. Reason: refining response.
Unread Today, 02:52 PM   #14
MadderThanMax

I liked the old ones better.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> NOT!

What an awesome Job, really do look the part. As you say though to cut the corner on the foam was a big mistake, but you live and learn... Welll done, Great work!

Currently waiting on better weather to tackle mine. I'm going for the Jag seats so I have to fab up a mounting and get it motorised and make sure the heated seats work! Jeez .. but if they came out as good as yours I'd be a happy man. Huge Kudos to you..
MadderThanMax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Today, 03:45 PM   #15
Robx4
2004 WJ 

Thanks MadderThanMax! I just ordered the passenger side seat foam yesterday, so they will be truly complete in a week or so. Still, I am really trilled with the way they look and feel.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.