Just need to vent for a sec... - Page 4 - JeepForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of 56 Old 12-18-2013, 05:32 AM
MWF
Registered User
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTB04WJ View Post
Really bro? It's hilarious the guys from over the pond have so much useful info.
Sorry couldn't resist.

MWF is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #47 of 56 Old 12-18-2013, 07:58 AM
Turbozcs2003
Registered User
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NE
Posts: 382
Not sure what maintenance your WJ has scene, but as mentioned, good set of new plugs( I run the stock champs), clean TB, fuel filter, air fitler, PCV Valve etc are not bad investments if they have not been done in a while.

Poor city gas mileage is tough to diagnose, what does it get on a pure highway run for a couple hours, hand calc it? You should see 18sh with the crappy winter gas.

Other potential things are tired O2 sensors and coolant sensor, maybe yours is running rich.
Turbozcs2003 is offline  
post #48 of 56 Old 12-18-2013, 08:46 AM
wjidaho
Registered User
1999 WJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: boise
Posts: 2,119
Winter gas sucks mine is down to 13.2 in town and I have my little 4.0 tuned up and up to date, with that said come summer it will be back to 15.3, with all of that said, I am fine with that my old rig was a Toyota that ended up with a v8 conversion, I was lucky to see 13 in the summer (heavy foot and all) as far as has prices here in America we do pay the lowest, I can't believe how expensive it is over the pond, feel for you guys. I do how ever wish I was able to get the diesel motor here, it's more expensive but for my build I would love to get that type of fuel mpg, it would extend my exploring
wjidaho is offline  
post #49 of 56 Old 12-18-2013, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
MTB04WJ
Registered User
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Pikeville
Posts: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbozcs2003 View Post
Not sure what maintenance your WJ has scene, but as mentioned, good set of new plugs( I run the stock champs), clean TB, fuel filter, air fitler, PCV Valve etc are not bad investments if they have not been done in a while.

Poor city gas mileage is tough to diagnose, what does it get on a pure highway run for a couple hours, hand calc it? You should see 18sh with the crappy winter gas.

Other potential things are tired O2 sensors and coolant sensor, maybe yours is running rich.
I think it's been well maintained but I would like to go through it sometime soon for a good tune up with all fluids etc. At least then I'll know for sure how everything looks.

I've never done a hand calculation for highway. It's my daily driver to work and back. It only sees the highway for a few miles here and there. I work in the city but live in the country. It's about a 13 mile trip to work. I guess I'm pretty close to average for what it is and how it's set up. For some crazy reason I guess I magically thought it would get better gas mileage. LOL!
MTB04WJ is offline  
post #50 of 56 Old 12-18-2013, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
MTB04WJ
Registered User
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Pikeville
Posts: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjidaho View Post
Winter gas sucks mine is down to 13.2 in town and I have my little 4.0 tuned up and up to date, with that said come summer it will be back to 15.3, with all of that said, I am fine with that my old rig was a Toyota that ended up with a v8 conversion, I was lucky to see 13 in the summer (heavy foot and all) as far as has prices here in America we do pay the lowest, I can't believe how expensive it is over the pond, feel for you guys. I do how ever wish I was able to get the diesel motor here, it's more expensive but for my build I would love to get that type of fuel mpg, it would extend my exploring
The diesel would be awesome! I'd be all over that. I could smell diesel exhaust all day and love the sound and power.
MTB04WJ is offline  
post #51 of 56 Old 12-18-2013, 09:26 PM
wjjeep19
Registered User
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Chambersburg
Posts: 1,454
The diesel does sound like a good option. My friend recently swapped a Cummins 4BT in his LJ and it is a champ.

2002 4.Slow
2.5" lift
-Taxation without consent is robbery-
wjjeep19 is offline  
post #52 of 56 Old 12-19-2013, 01:43 AM
MadderThanMax
Registered User
2001  
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Glasgow
Posts: 2,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTB04WJ View Post
I think it's been well maintained but I would like to go through it sometime soon for a good tune up with all fluids etc. At least then I'll know for sure how everything looks.

I've never done a hand calculation for highway. It's my daily driver to work and back. It only sees the highway for a few miles here and there. I work in the city but live in the country. It's about a 13 mile trip to work. I guess I'm pretty close to average for what it is and how it's set up. For some crazy reason I guess I magically thought it would get better gas mileage. LOL!
Ahhhh... Now we're getting the truth....Then the Jeep is the wrong car for the job.. the engine is barely heated up, and if you consider you American like your CATS and anti smog devices then this type of run is going to be more detrimental to the car than a good long blast on the free way. If you consider that it takes at least 30 miles to charge the battery then everythings lifespan will be dramatically shortened and your CATS won't have the chance to heat up, the engine will not be at its most efficient so yes, expect a low mileage return....
MadderThanMax is offline  
post #53 of 56 Old 12-19-2013, 02:02 AM
sbsshadow
Registered User
2001 WJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Hertfordshire
Posts: 46
Im in the UK , its not the most expensive but pretty close, but looking at this I think we all need to live in Venezuela lolol !
Attached Thumbnails
petrol.jpg  
sbsshadow is offline  
post #54 of 56 Old 12-19-2013, 02:59 AM
Thomahawk
Web Wheeler
 
Thomahawk's Avatar
2004 WJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Oslo
Posts: 7,847
Norway aint on That list, 10.22USD pr gallon yesterday.

2004 Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 HO Quadradrive
95 ZJ Limited 5.2 Winter Project
Sold 94 ZJ Laredo 4.0 Winter Beater
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...grade-1813490/

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is offline  
post #55 of 56 Old 12-19-2013, 03:06 AM
xrunndonex
Registered User
1994 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: coffeyville
Posts: 2,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTB04WJ View Post

I'd be fine putting a new fuel filter on it but 8 new injectors sound like too much when the girl runs so smooth.

You ever check yours?
There are ways to clean them just Google it one I watched was some guy with a civic showing you its really easy
xrunndonex is offline  
post #56 of 56 Old 12-19-2013, 03:14 AM
xrunndonex
Registered User
1994 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: coffeyville
Posts: 2,885
Speaking of tires are they inflated properly? Not the xxpsi on the tire but the one that's selected specifically for your vehicle? They have a calculator on toyo I think that'd tell you what psi to run for even wear it'd in return help your mpgs
xrunndonex is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome