Just need to vent for a sec... - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Just need to vent for a sec...

Savvy Aluminum BumpersIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 12-17-2013, 01:48 PM   #31
PeteYJTJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planetcat View Post
You can update your facebook page and tweet all day long, but couldn't figure out how to google "jeep grand cherokee gas mileage"? It's no secret.
No offense intended to the OP, but this is the way of the world today. Spot on for most of society, sadly.

It's like watching the News today. "Log onto our facebook page and tell us what you think about the serial killer. .....Jill from Boise thinks that the serial killer is not good..... Bill from Detroit thinks he should be locked up."

It's just all way out there.

Anyway, my lifted WJ gets about 13-16 based on gas, winter/summer, how I drive, how much highway, etc.

Good luck
Pete

Laredo, 104K, sunroof, 4.0, selectrac, 3" IRO +10mm, adj trac bar, 265-75-16s Goodyear = DD & Expedition Jeep.
PeteYJTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2013, 03:10 PM   #32
three_jeeps
2004 WJ 

2004 WJ with 4.7 std output engine. Been filling tank-empty-repeat and saving all gas receipts for 8 years, have numbers on spread sheet....90K miles....city is 15-16, hw is 19-20. Stock everything...tires have either been Michilen LTX or Firestone destination...always over filled by 1-2 psi. Mostly do maint by the book...(cept oil (5-6K), plugs 25k, air filter 25k).
three_jeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2013, 07:35 PM   #33
MTB04WJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezflip View Post
Nah, it works. 32" is 3" larger than stock. Which is roughly 10%. Which means he is traveling 10% further than what the odo reads.

But, the complaint about mpgs is moot. These only got 14mpgs in the city from the factory. You're a fool if you think youre going to get better than that after a lift and larger, more aggressive tires. 12 is about right. I get 12.5 but I travel one 55mph road for 20 miles to work every day.
I'm no fool friend, but thanks for your tip.
MTB04WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2013, 07:38 PM   #34
MTB04WJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planetcat View Post
You can update your facebook page and tweet all day long, but couldn't figure out how to google "jeep grand cherokee gas mileage"? It's no secret. I get 13 consistently with the regular L.O. 4.7L. I am heavy on the gas pedal. When my wife drives it, she gets maybe 15 mpg at best.
FWIW, I don't do Facebook, twitter, or Instagram etc. I have Googled this topic as I enjoy researching my hobbies and interests. However, this was just a little vent thread. I probably shouldn't have said anything.
Unread 12-17-2013, 07:42 PM   #35
MTB04WJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadderThanMax View Post
Unfortunately if you're gonna b1tch about the mpg then you're gonna have to bite the bullet and make sure she's in total rude health! I can't believe that you bought it, worked out the mpg then expect it to fix itself Doh!!!

Get in there with a spanner and treat her to some Lurv'

Start like the others say with a good service. Its amazing what happens with just a new air filter alone. So get a routine service kit and get it serviced - plugs, filters etc, etc then work up from there.. do the simple things first, clean the throttle body until spotless using carb cleaner will help.

I had a Passat VR6 once that was renowned for misfires and heavy on the gas. On their forum board there was a lot of complaints of low 20's and early teens on mpg when the text book says it should return 34mpg! I spent ages making sure mine was in total rude health, new leads, coil pack, full service, new MAF and guess what.. I did get mine to 33/34 mpg but as I say the car has to be in total RUDE HEALTH!

So don't come on here and b1tch about it if you're not prepared to get your hands dirty...
Come on man. Why chew someone out who just posted something up here to vent about a common issue with these Jeeps?
Unread 12-17-2013, 07:45 PM   #36
MTB04WJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadderThanMax View Post
Jeez!! Is that ALL?? Try $9.79 per gallon then you'd be doing something about your mpg!!!
It's all relative man. I seriously doubt we have the same income and expenses but you pay almost three times what I pay for gas. It's a number.
Unread 12-17-2013, 07:46 PM   #37
MTB04WJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWF View Post
Get your husband to do it for you then.
Really bro? It's hilarious the guys from over the pond have so much useful info.
Unread 12-17-2013, 07:48 PM   #38
MTB04WJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjidaho View Post
If I wanted good MPH I would have bought a car instead of a jeep, I got the jeep because I like to run **** over :-)
I certainly didn't buy this Jeep for mpg's. However, I guess I just wasn't expecting to average less than 15. It'll be ok, no worries.
Unread 12-17-2013, 07:52 PM   #39
MTB04WJ
2003 WJ 

Thanks to everyone who had something positive to add to this thread. I will certainly be more selective about what I say on here. I've been using forums like this for several years. Nothing I say on here should get "flamed" by anyone. I'm laid back and love to learn and talk about our common interests, in this case, Jeeps.
Unread 12-17-2013, 08:00 PM   #40
Ah673000
2002 WJ 

Reference: totally stock '02 Jeep GC 4.7 ... 160 k

Owned since new..... 80% of miles are HWY

Average mileage since new .... 18 MPG

Highest : 21 mpg
Lowest : 14 mpg

Champion Plugs , air filter every 30k ..... Tires - 17 " Mitchlen @ 35 PSIG
Oil and fluids- Mobil 1 synthetic

Most important..... Keep your foot out of the throttle..... Ruins the fun factor .... But saves the wallet .

Just bought a new WK2 .... V6 gets 25 mpg hwy and 18 mpg city.... But is not as fun as the '02 V8...... So I kept the '02 for fun..... I am sure I will now join the 11 mpg group!
Ah673000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2013, 08:23 PM   #41
pmdowd6
2002 WJ 

Wj's get super low gas mileage from the factory. You should have known not to buy a non aerodynamic SUV if you wanted good gas mileage. I don't think you would have been flamed either if you didn't complain about the gas mileage, then say you're not willing to do anything about it because you're too busy.
Unread 12-17-2013, 08:26 PM   #42
ezflip
Theme Park Dinosaur Head

2002 WJ 

Here are the EPA values printed on the sticker in 2002. http://www.fueleconomy.gov/Feg/bymod...Cherokee.shtml

That happened to be the very first link on Google.

Highest city mileage being 14 from the 2wd 4.slo. If you want decent replies in your threads, post a relevant thread. Bad mpgs isn't a "common issue" with these. An "issue" is something that is unintended. These got bad mileage from the get go. So just to be clear, the point of this thread was to complain about the vehicle because it is working exactly like it's supposed to? And in that case, why did you buy it? Not to imply that you're a fool, or "flaming" you in any way, but it seems like you would have done at least a little research and known that if you wanted at least 15 mpgs, a lifted jeep that only got 13 stock from the factory was not the way to go.

Build Thread

KCCO
ezflip is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2013, 11:24 PM   #43
Planetcat
2004 WJ 

Wj

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTB04WJ View Post
FWIW, I don't do Facebook, twitter, or Instagram etc. I have Googled this topic as I enjoy researching my hobbies and interests. However, this was just a little vent thread. I probably shouldn't have said anything.
Misery loves company bro! That's all.
Unread 12-18-2013, 12:57 AM   #44
MadderThanMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTB04WJ View Post
Come on man. Why chew someone out who just posted something up here to vent about a common issue with these Jeeps?
Because YOU are just one of the many on here that B1tch about "Low MPG" and won't do anything about it... my thread, I thought was fairly constructive on advising you to roll up your sleeves and start tweeking.. If you want more MPG.. Even the diesel is a heavy beast, but I didn't b1tch about it - instead I set about getting it running straight i.e as best I could get it, serviced, tuned etc, then looked into getting it remapped for better economy (although I gained More BHP ) and so far I've been reasonably successful - On a long run @75mph I can get 38 -42mpg which in my opinion isn't bad for 2.7CRD and a vehicle that weighs over two tonnes! So if I were you I'd have used the search engine (Like what its there for..) before posting, to see what others have said..

Oh, and I'm not here to flame anyone, its about helping others on the forum but the "Low MPG Thread" is about as long as the Mississippi ..

And another thing, salaries - Feck Aww to do with the fact that you pay $3.19 against $9.79 per gallon, fact of the matter is you get off lightly on fuel - I'm unemployed at present so don't lecture me about difference of monies.. it is what it is, you pay less for your fuel than other parts of the world therefore should be able to afford more in comparison..

Apologies to anyone who was offended here, a raw never was hit here about monies (In my case lack of at present..) Bah Humbug! But as a great man once said

"I'LL BE BACK! "
MadderThanMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2013, 01:44 AM   #45
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

^^^Thumbsup madmax,
The US guys dont Even know what gas prices Are, its litterly free for them.
1l cost 16.5NOK here yesterday, still smiles pr miles counting.

Money is like monopoly, sometimes you have to little, sometimes to much, sometimes Go back to start,,,,
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...grade-1813490/

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.