Just need to vent for a sec... - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Just need to vent for a sec...

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comECGS American Made Stub ShaftsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 12-17-2013, 01:13 AM   #16
MadderThanMax

Wj

[QUOTE=MTB04WJ
Stupid $3.15 per gallon gas![/QUOTE]

Jeez!! Is that ALL?? Try $9.79 per gallon then you'd be doing something about your mpg!!!

MadderThanMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2013, 04:16 AM   #17
Notabene
2004 WJ 

Learnt something new tonight.

'Rude health'.

Haha.

Truly an international haunt here.
Notabene is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2013, 04:36 AM   #18
MWF
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTB04WJ View Post
That's where I don't want to go. I'm just not interested in throwing money and time I don't have, (full time job, full time student, husband, 3 yr. old, etc.), into it to try and get 2 mpg's.
Get your husband to do it for you then.
Unread 12-17-2013, 04:53 AM   #19
cde02ltd

I think our window sticker on our 02 limited with the 4.7ho said 13 city. Up on all maintenance, stock, and 78k miles. I get around 12 to 13 regardless of how I drive, and it always drops in the winter.
cde02ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2013, 05:28 AM   #20
sbsshadow
2001 WJ 

Try living in the UK

Then you would moan lolol
sbsshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2013, 05:34 AM   #21
question4u92

Not sure if it's it because it's a V8 or what... But my 4.6 stroker is sitting on about 3.5 inches of lift and 265/75/16's and I still manage to get 16-17 MPG.
question4u92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2013, 08:27 AM   #22
swkenobi
2003 WJ 

I suggest you run your tires through this as it will give you the exact percent you are off. My V8 with stock tires varies from 14 to 18mpg depending on driving and conditions. I just had my worst tank of gas at just under 14mpg but then we had a huge cold snap and crappy road conditions for a week so I expect it will get better. Air filter, plugs, run some BG-44 through to clean the fuel injectors. All told you might have $60 invested and you will probably see some improvement. I'm reminded of what I was told when I got my first Jeep and noticed the mileage sort of sucked, "You didn't buy the Jeep for the mileage, get over it".

Still true six years later, if you bought your Jeep thinking it was a fuel efficient vehicle, then you have only yourself to blame.
Unread 12-17-2013, 08:57 AM   #23
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadderThanMax View Post
Unfortunately if you're gonna b1tch about the mpg then you're gonna have to bite the bullet and make sure she's in total rude health! I can't believe that you bought it, worked out the mpg then expect it to fix itself Doh!!!

Get in there with a spanner and treat her to some Lurv'

Start like the others say with a good service. Its amazing what happens with just a new air filter alone. So get a routine service kit and get it serviced - plugs, filters etc, etc then work up from there.. do the simple things first, clean the throttle body until spotless using carb cleaner will help.

I had a Passat VR6 once that was renowned for misfires and heavy on the gas. On their forum board there was a lot of complaints of low 20's and early teens on mpg when the text book says it should return 34mpg! I spent ages making sure mine was in total rude health, new leads, coil pack, full service, new MAF and guess what.. I did get mine to 33/34 mpg but as I say the car has to be in total RUDE HEALTH!

So don't come on here and b1tch about it if you're not prepared to get your hands dirty...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadderThanMax View Post
Jeez!! Is that ALL?? Try $9.79 per gallon then you'd be doing something about your mpg!!!
Go Max....Go Max!!! Good posts and Im 100% with you on both. Makes a change doesn't it!
Unread 12-17-2013, 09:28 AM   #24
wjidaho
1999 WJ 

If I wanted good MPH I would have bought a car instead of a jeep, I got the jeep because I like to run **** over :-)

My build thread
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/wjidahos-expedition-build-1904282/[/url]
wjidaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2013, 09:33 AM   #25
derekmac

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTB04WJ View Post
That's where I don't want to go. I'm just not interested in throwing money and time I don't have, (full time job, full time student, husband, 3 yr. old, etc.), into it to try and get 2 mpg's. I think I may check my brakes bc they seem like they need a little help. The pedal travels farther and takes more pressure than should be necessary to stop. I'm also getting a lot more brake dust build up on my right front wheel. Maybe the caliper on that side is sticking?

Idk, just kinda bummed I find this great dub and the dang mileage sucks!
Stupid $3.15 per gallon gas!
If you have a sticky caliper, you will lose mileage.

Right now, I'm getting on average between 10-14mpg. My last tank I got 10.4, and that was with a 25km trail run, and a 1.5hr drive on the hwy with 20psi in the tires (I know, should have aired up, but there was close to an inch of ice on the rims and it was -18).
Future: 4" lift and lockers
derekmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2013, 09:39 AM   #26
texlurch
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by swkenobi View Post
I suggest you run your tires through this as it will give you the exact percent you are off. My V8 with stock tires varies from 14 to 18mpg depending on driving and conditions. I just had my worst tank of gas at just under 14mpg but then we had a huge cold snap and crappy road conditions for a week so I expect it will get better. Air filter, plugs, run some BG-44 through to clean the fuel injectors. All told you might have $60 invested and you will probably see some improvement. I'm reminded of what I was told when I got my first Jeep and noticed the mileage sort of sucked, "You didn't buy the Jeep for the mileage, get over it".

Still true six years later, if you bought your Jeep thinking it was a fuel efficient vehicle, then you have only yourself to blame.
We get better mileage up here.. less air so engines burn less fuel at the same AFR, more coasting down hills.. too many tourists driving 10 under the SL..
Colorado Jeep Club Member #383
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2013, 10:56 AM   #27
TwinchargedRX7
2002 WJ 

how does a new fuel filter improve gas mileage?
TwinchargedRX7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2013, 10:59 AM   #28
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

Because a half Way glogged filter will refuse the pressure from pump making the injectors spray poorly.
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...grade-1813490/

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2013, 11:13 AM   #29
thecubfan
2002 WJ 

Wj Wj mpg

Your MPG is actually pretty close to where it should be. I have a 02 WJ Laredo v8 2.5 coils in front 2.0 in rear - running 265 -70-17 Sra-s. Thule Moab rack with rear hitch tire carrier for my spare which doesn't fit inside the Rigs compartment - yeah check your plugs and fuel filter. I'm still new at everything Jeep with this being my 1st wj after owning 3 xj's - so it's just my 2 pennies.
thecubfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2013, 12:37 PM   #30
brianestep
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezflip View Post
Nah, it works. 32" is 3" larger than stock. Which is roughly 10%. Which means he is traveling 10% further than what the odo reads.

But, the complaint about mpgs is moot. These only got 14mpgs in the city from the factory. You're a fool if you think youre going to get better than that after a lift and larger, more aggressive tires. 12 is about right. I get 12.5 but I travel one 55mph road for 20 miles to work every day.
You'd probably use rolling circumference, not outside diameter (well, I guess that feeds into the calc. too, but anyway). So it'd be something like 99 inches versus 91 inches, about 8%. So yea, pretty close right?
-Brian- 2000 WJ Four liter, 4" RC springs; Bilstein 5100s; JKS trackbar w/KOR bushings; Stillen rotors; KOR (RC) 1.5" wheel spacers; 265/75/16 Treadwright Guard Dogs; Rusty AirTube, Amsoil Cone; Thule M.O.A.B.; Bumper delete; rear seat disco
brianestep is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.