Just need to vent for a sec... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Just need to vent for a sec...

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan Kits

Unread 12-16-2013, 05:34 PM   #1
MTB04WJ
2003 WJ 

Just need to vent for a sec...

I know this is small to a lot of you guys but I can't believe how poor the gas mpg is on my Jeep!

About a month ago I bought what I feel is a super nice 03' Jeep GC Overland. Very clean, 91,000 miles, every option, OME HD's, Bilstien 5100's, and more riding on 265/70-17 with Moab wheels.

Anyway, I really like it but I'm a little taken back from the mpg. I baby it everytime I drive it but today I did my own calculations for mpg and came up with 11.9!!!

Now, my speedo is off but using a GPS i've found it to be pretty much 10% slower than I'm actually traveling. So, when calculating the mpg I multiplied my trip mileage by 1.1 to add back the 10% and divided by the gallons I pumped back in to get my number.

Should be accurate right?

Anyway, just had to vent. I'm used to 20+ mpg from our other vehicles and one of them being an '04 V6 4Runner that my wife stomps on everytime she pushes the gas!

MTB04WJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2013, 05:47 PM   #2
04dubjay

Sounds like soemthing is wrong to me. I know it's a V8, but my I6 4" lIft with 32's gets 14 on its worst day.
Unread 12-16-2013, 05:53 PM   #3
filipm
2002 WJ 

I'm in the same boat right now. Pretty much stock '02 V8 w/ 130k and getting between 9-10 mpg in the city by hand calc. 100% pure highway trip last weekend was 19.3 average (which I'm totally expecting).

I've replaced the TPS, IAC, cleaned the throttle body, new plugs 5k ago, fuel filter and new Denso O2s last month. No codes being thrown and otherwise driving pretty smooth. I know winter gas has some impact but in the city I rarely dipped below 12mpg at it's worst. Pretty much gave up trying to improve it at this point.
Unread 12-16-2013, 06:09 PM   #4
fast540
1999 WJ 

I get about 12mpg on 4.5" lift and 32" tires
fast540 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2013, 06:17 PM   #5
narnwv

2000 WJ 

New fuel filter and injectors did the most improvement for my mpg.

Typing on phones sucks.

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2013, 06:44 PM   #6
MTB04WJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by filipm View Post
I'm in the same boat right now. Pretty much stock '02 V8 w/ 130k and getting between 9-10 mpg in the city by hand calc. 100% pure highway trip last weekend was 19.3 average (which I'm totally expecting).

I've replaced the TPS, IAC, cleaned the throttle body, new plugs 5k ago, fuel filter and new Denso O2s last month. No codes being thrown and otherwise driving pretty smooth. I know winter gas has some impact but in the city I rarely dipped below 12mpg at it's worst. Pretty much gave up trying to improve it at this point.
That's where I don't want to go. I'm just not interested in throwing money and time I don't have, (full time job, full time student, husband, 3 yr. old, etc.), into it to try and get 2 mpg's. I think I may check my brakes bc they seem like they need a little help. The pedal travels farther and takes more pressure than should be necessary to stop. I'm also getting a lot more brake dust build up on my right front wheel. Maybe the caliper on that side is sticking?

Idk, just kinda bummed I find this great dub and the dang mileage sucks!
Stupid $3.15 per gallon gas!
Unread 12-16-2013, 06:46 PM   #7
MTB04WJ
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by narnwv View Post
New fuel filter and injectors did the most improvement for my mpg.

Typing on phones sucks.
I'd be fine putting a new fuel filter on it but 8 new injectors sound like too much when the girl runs so smooth.

You ever check yours?
Unread 12-16-2013, 06:49 PM   #8
Pedro7
2000 WJ 

Start with plugs and fuel filter. When were they last changed? Pull the first plug and look at it
Pedro7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2013, 06:52 PM   #9
richsandwich

Just bought a 99 camry cause of my gas mileage. With the money I save on gas it will take 6 months to pay for its self. Best part is jeeps off the road for the winter and in the garage for some upgrades.33's seeing gas mileage doesnt matter when I have a camry. Win Win!!!
richsandwich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2013, 07:18 PM   #10
mycreativename
1999 WJ 

I get 14mpg average babying the WJ. 12mpg sounds about right to be honest.
mycreativename is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2013, 08:03 PM   #11
braddf
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTB04WJ View Post
Now, my speedo is off but using a GPS i've found it to be pretty much 10% slower than I'm actually traveling. So, when calculating the mpg I multiplied my trip mileage by 1.1 to add back the 10% and divided by the gallons I pumped back in to get my number.

Should be accurate right?
Something about that logic doesn't seem right...
Unread 12-16-2013, 08:57 PM   #12
ezflip
Theme Park Dinosaur Head

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by braddf View Post

Something about that logic doesn't seem right...
Nah, it works. 32" is 3" larger than stock. Which is roughly 10%. Which means he is traveling 10% further than what the odo reads.

But, the complaint about mpgs is moot. These only got 14mpgs in the city from the factory. You're a fool if you think youre going to get better than that after a lift and larger, more aggressive tires. 12 is about right. I get 12.5 but I travel one 55mph road for 20 miles to work every day.

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread
ezflip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2013, 09:20 PM   #13
Planetcat
2004 WJ 

You can update your facebook page and tweet all day long, but couldn't figure out how to google "jeep grand cherokee gas mileage"? It's no secret. I get 13 consistently with the regular L.O. 4.7L. I am heavy on the gas pedal. When my wife drives it, she gets maybe 15 mpg at best.
Unread 12-17-2013, 12:18 AM   #14
Notabene
2004 WJ 

4.7. With 4" lift, 32" muddies, steel bar with winch and stuff...I get on average 13mpg.

It doesn't seem much difference if I boot it around or not, so I never think about it and have fun all the time.

Having said all that, it is my DD, but work is only 10 minutes away.
Notabene is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2013, 12:59 AM   #15
MadderThanMax

Unfortunately if you're gonna b1tch about the mpg then you're gonna have to bite the bullet and make sure she's in total rude health! I can't believe that you bought it, worked out the mpg then expect it to fix itself Doh!!!

Get in there with a spanner and treat her to some Lurv'

Start like the others say with a good service. Its amazing what happens with just a new air filter alone. So get a routine service kit and get it serviced - plugs, filters etc, etc then work up from there.. do the simple things first, clean the throttle body until spotless using carb cleaner will help.

I had a Passat VR6 once that was renowned for misfires and heavy on the gas. On their forum board there was a lot of complaints of low 20's and early teens on mpg when the text book says it should return 34mpg! I spent ages making sure mine was in total rude health, new leads, coil pack, full service, new MAF and guess what.. I did get mine to 33/34 mpg but as I say the car has to be in total RUDE HEALTH!

So don't come on here and b1tch about it if you're not prepared to get your hands dirty...
MadderThanMax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.