Just lifted, now the tire questions... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Just lifted, now the tire questions...

Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRoad Race Motorsports Stage 2 Power Pack

Unread 05-05-2014, 08:25 PM   #1
yellowismellow
rubber duck sicko!

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Just lifted, now the tire questions...

2004 wj with a 4.0 and 247. I just installed 2" IRO springs with new isolators and bilstein 5100 shocks from kolak. Currently I'm running the stock 245/70/16 tires and wheels. Looking for tires to put on a set of JK rubicon rims that I scored for cheap in mint condition.

My question...yes, what the largest tire I can move up to without trimming? From what I see, tires that will equal the circumference of my current tires(245/70/16), would be a 245/65/17. Correct me if I'm wrong on these tire conversions. What size would be best? This wj is 95% street as it's my wife's, yet we use it to haul all my gear when going on long wheeling trips in my TJ. 245/75/17? /255/65/17? 235/75/17?? Also, how bad is the speedometer going to be? I noticed there's not gear to swap out, and is sensored. Not too concerned about being off a mph or 2, more worried about transmission issues arising with a drastic change in size.

Lift install went smoothly. All control arms replaced with stock new replacements, rides great even without getting an alignment for a few days yet.

Here's a pic. What tire would you go with?
Thanks for the advice.

Unread 05-06-2014, 05:02 AM   #2
yellowismellow
rubber duck sicko!

2006 TJ Wrangler 

100 views and no responses? I know this topic is brought up all the time, but help me out guys!
Unread 05-06-2014, 05:49 AM   #3
braddf
2001 WJ 

most people say 245/70/17 for that unless you don't offroad much then you could go maybe a tad bigger. 245/70 to be safe tho
Unread 05-06-2014, 05:59 AM   #4
HamJam
2004 WJ 

I have a 3" Iro lift and Jk take offs and run 245/75/17 duratracs and they only rub very slightly in reverse with steering cranked.
HamJam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2014, 06:22 AM   #5
yellowismellow
rubber duck sicko!

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys. I'm looking for a decent all terrain tire to stick under her wj
Unread 05-06-2014, 07:09 AM   #6
PirateB
2004 WJ 

Toyo open country a/t II great tire!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using JeepForum
PirateB is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2014, 07:59 AM   #7
ChrisHager
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

If you're sticking with stock backspacing, you'll want a 245/75R16 (245/70R17). I went with Goodyear Wrangler DuraTracs in that size and love them. I found my speedometer is now spot on (they typically are not when the vehicle is in stock form).

ChrisHager's 'Grilled' Thread

WJ Torque Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyooooooh View Post
But ChrisHager makes me want to poor water on a burning bucket of gasoline now just out of curiosity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
The latest lift kit from Rough Country? :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is.
ChrisHager is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2014, 12:11 PM   #8
jpat30

I run 245 75 16 KM2 and I found that my speedo is now dead on as well as measured with GPS.
-Carpe Diem Phil 1:20
jpat30 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2014, 12:25 PM   #9
gold01wj
2000 WJ 

FYI speed is electronically controlled from the rear abs sensors... A speedo drd or super lift true speed are the best way to fix modern signal fed speedometers... I have the drd on my wj and the true speed on my silverado. Both work great. I think the drd is a bit easier to program tho
Unread 05-06-2014, 12:27 PM   #10
poj2001
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHager View Post
If you're sticking with stock backspacing, you'll want a 245/75R16 (245/70R17). I went with Goodyear Wrangler DuraTracs in that size and love them. I found my speedometer is now spot on (they typically are not when the vehicle is in stock form).
Thats good to know for those who lift, but kinda crappy for the majority of the world that drives it stock. My 01 WJ speedometer was off by about 3mph with stock tires.

I am picking up an 04 WJ Friday and plan on putting a 2" lift in, good to know 245/70R17 will fix the speedo
poj2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.