Just an idea! - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 07-22-2017, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
97Mule
2002 WJ 

Garage
Wj Just an idea!

Has any one with sub par ac thought of blocking off back behind back seats with plexiglass? Thinking it might help with less volume to cool.

WHAT'S THE WORSE THAT CAN HAPPEN?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-22-2017, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
97Mule
2002 WJ 

Garage
Wow! Nobody

post #3 of 8 Old 07-22-2017, 03:03 PM
MossyOakD
2002 WJ 

Do you want fab something up to block off the trunk space? I've seen people use a net, but that's really all. I can't say I've seen anyone use to have less area too cool. I have seen someone fab something up to haul dogs back there using Plexiglass though...

post #4 of 8 Old 07-22-2017, 11:26 PM
GhostJeepWJ
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Garage
As little of cubic space that's in the cargo area, I can't see it making that much of a difference.
I have to rip my dash out and overhaul whole system (fun fun) before fall gets here. I've seen replacing the foam that seals the edges of the vents reportedly is making a huge difference in heat flow. I would think that same thing should help with the AC. Minimizes the lost air behind the dash.
I got my foam from O'Riely's. I have seen a write up about it on here but can't remember who. I think I'm sub'd to it though

If you want to achieve greatness, stop asking for permission!!

2002 Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 HO
2" IRO Spring Lift w/Bilstein 5100s 245/75/R17 Goodyear Armour Shield

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 Old 07-22-2017, 11:33 PM
GhostJeepWJ
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Garage
Also, @LeakinOil did a nice little mod to his. You can see it on page 3009 of the "What did you do to your WJ"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 Old 07-23-2017, 04:39 AM
HarryH3
2001 WJ 

Here's the airflow fix-it thread that GhostJeepWJ mentioned: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...vents-3544698/

Reducing the conditioned space should certainly help also. Does your WJ have a sunroof? I'm seriously thinking about somehow covering the outside of the sunroof glass with white paint, or plasti-dip, or something, as it adds a ridiculous amount of heat to the interior on a sunny day, even with the interior shade closed. I can feel the heat radiating from that area as if there are heat lamps overhead. The inside of my WJ gets WAYYY hotter than the inside of my Suburban in the same weather. I thought about installing some reflective film or some insulation on the inside of the sunroof glass but I'm concerned that it may cause the glass to overheat and shatter. Replacing that doesn't look like it would be much fun at all...

I also wonder about roof insulation in the WJ. Can anyone that has had their headliner down confirm if there is any insulation between the headliner and roof? My Suburban has a thin sheet of insulating foam glued to the roof.
post #7 of 8 Old 07-23-2017, 06:36 AM
GhostJeepWJ
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Garage
One of my projects (that I'm not looking forward to...lol) is repairing my sunroof. I believe it's the cables.
But I'm thinking of doing it the same time I do the coatings on the floor. There is no insulation between the liner and roof. So, the "plan" is to use thermal coating on the roof as well help with the interior heating/cooling. Haven't decided whether to use sheets of it or spray on LizardSkin like the floor. Anyway, should be a "fun" job! But it should definitely help with the temperatures inside the cabin.
#neverendingjeepsaga

post #8 of 8 Old 07-23-2017, 08:22 AM Thread Starter
97Mule
2002 WJ 

Garage
I do have the dreaded air flow issue, all the doors work, but the seals are worn out. Have had foam fly out of vents ever since i got it. This winter i will pull the dash and replace condenser, heater core and fix seals, just been pun't it off. Trying to get it ready to take out west again second week of aug, going to jackson hole for at least a week. (Hopefully my wife will navigate us through las vegas ) We might leave it somewhere out west til winter, and go back out 2 or 3 more times in the next 6 mos. Yes i have the sunroof, i got a overland. Also thinking about finding a durango with a rear air unit and trying to fit it in the back. Just a thought!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.