Just got a WJ not long ago and have a couple of questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Just got a WJ not long ago and have a couple of questions

Metalcloak's Black Friday & Small Business Saturday SaNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 03-04-2013, 05:43 PM   #1
Starlightz
2003 WJ 

Wj Just got a WJ not long ago and have a couple of questions

1) There is a ticking noise, doesn't seem to be coming from the engine. If it is it is near the back towards the dash. But there is a round metal covering that on the far drivers side attached to the firewall and it is coming from around that area if I hear it right. I have searched a little and found that another guy had the issue but his engine oil and spark plugs proved a bad cause when his motor stopped. The Jeep has only had Mobil 1 synthetic and K&N oil filters with the past owner. I am planning to switch to Castrol Syntec Edge synthetic oil with the same filters. when it is due.

2) My transmission seemed to be jerking just before I would come to a complete stop. I read that it isn't actually the tranny but something like a slenoid maybe? I had the transmission fluid changed and the filter replaced at 75k (which was only about 2 weeks or so ago) and it was doing it before that.

Thanks, :-)

Starlightz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2013, 11:05 PM   #2
ujoint
2004 WJ 

if it a constant tick and does not change when reving the engine it sounds like the purge solenoid. this is normal. some are louder then others and not much you can do about it
ujoint is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2013, 05:53 PM   #3
tim0

2002 WJ 

That jerking you feel just before you come to a stop could likley be a miss. Check for vacume leaks.
tim0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2013, 06:20 PM   #4
coopdc78
2004 WJ 

Exhaust manifold on driver side leak. Probably broken studs
Unread 03-09-2013, 07:01 AM   #5
lazyWJ
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ujoint View Post
if it a constant tick and does not change when reving the engine it sounds like the purge solenoid. This is normal. Some are louder then others and not much you can do about it
+1
"Bought, Not Built"
lazyWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.