Just got an 02 Overland and I want to lift it - how's this look? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Just got an 02 Overland and I want to lift it - how's this look?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 12-21-2013, 04:25 PM   #1
WestTennXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Just got an 02 Overland and I want to lift it - how's this look?

I was going to keep it stock but it looks so puny next to the wife's WK2, and it needs tires and shocks soon. This is my daily driver so I want it to stay comfortable and not have MPG suffer. The goal is to improve its stance and looks.

http://www.amazon.com/Grand-Cherokee...j+budget+boost
http://www.eshocks.com/bil_Ind.asp?VC=17q26&SubChar=q
http://www.eshocks.com/bil_Ind.asp?VC=16q26&SubChar=q

I'm thinking budget boost and bilsteins, not sure which shocks would work better with the (12 YO) upcountry springs and 2" lift. For tires I'll probably go 31 or even smaller on the stock 17's, and I'm building a carrier for a full size spare.

I'm looking for feedback on how these parts will work together, and any suggestions. Thanks.

2011 WK2 Limited (Wife's)
WestTennXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2013, 04:32 PM   #2
mycreativename
1999 WJ 

I would suggest steering away from just using the pucks to lift it. Like you said yourself, they are 12 year old springs, likely have sagged an inch or more (so your 2" BB isn't really giving you 2" over stock).

I personally just kept my eyes open for a used kit that anyone was selling, both on the classifieds on here as well as ebay and such. I eventually found a 2.5" spring kit for about what I would have spent on pucks.

What I'm really getting at overall, is that if you are going to spend the money on Bilsteins, I would spend the additional money to do the full 2"/3" spring lifts. Fat Bob's has (from what I hear on here from reputable members) a really good 2" spring kit for a reasonable price.

This will help you as well for your tire sizes, if you haven't seen it already.

mycreativename is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2013, 10:51 PM   #3
WestTennXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

That sounds like pretty good advice. THanks.
2011 WK2 Limited (Wife's)
WestTennXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2013, 11:21 AM   #4
mycreativename
1999 WJ 

No problem, good luck with your build.

Sent from my blimp fortress using my carrier pigeons.
mycreativename is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2013, 11:32 AM   #5
spud2388

I'm running a 2" BB with bilsteins and am very happy with it. 31's fit fine. MPG went down a little, but nothing crazy. I say go for it..
spud2388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2013, 02:43 PM   #6
WiLieR
1999 WJ 

Contact Kolak. He is a vendor on JeepForum and gives great prices. His knowledge is excellent and he has always helped me with any question I had about a product he sells.

His service makes Amazon look like a pissed off fast food worker who demands $15/hour for throwing the wrong food in a paper bag out their window at you.
Unread 12-22-2013, 05:49 PM   #7
spud2388

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiLieR View Post
Contact Kolak. He is a vendor on JeepForum and gives great prices. His knowledge is excellent and he has always helped me with any question I had about a product he sells.

His service makes Amazon look like a pissed off fast food worker who demands $15/hour for throwing the wrong food in a paper bag out their window at you.
hahaha that is exactly the truth. I have ordered a few parts from Kolak and enjoy his service, intelligence, and prices. I will have to say though, a 2" BB is a 2" BB. If you can find one used or cheap, I would snatch it up. But Kolak IS a great source and knowledgeable.
spud2388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2013, 07:21 PM   #8
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycreativename View Post
I would suggest steering away from just using the pucks to lift it. Like you said yourself, they are 12 year old springs, likely have sagged an inch or more (so your 2" BB isn't really giving you 2" over stock). I personally just kept my eyes open for a used kit that anyone was selling, both on the classifieds on here as well as ebay and such. I eventually found a 2.5" spring kit for about what I would have spent on pucks. What I'm really getting at overall, is that if you are going to spend the money on Bilsteins, I would spend the additional money to do the full 2"/3" spring lifts. Fat Bob's has (from what I hear on here from reputable members) a really good 2" spring kit for a reasonable price. This will help you as well for your tire sizes, if you haven't seen it already.
There are 2 1/2 " lift kits with springs from Fat Bobs on eBay with RC shocks for about $293 or $393.

Sent from my iPad using my fingers
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2013, 07:45 PM   #9
Ravie
1999 WJ 

I recently added Fat Bob's (made by BDS) 2" springs with new isos, all new control arms front and rear, and a 1/2" spacer up front. (half inch? maybe it was three quarters...can't recall now..)

Made a HUGE difference in ride quality. I got Bilstein 5100's from Kolak, too. Awesome shocks.

Was it more expensive? Well sure but... nice n tight now!

Now to replace the rear A-arm..

31's next.
Unread 12-23-2013, 08:14 AM   #10
C101Commando

Don't forget that a 2" replacement spring will only lift you 1" over upcountry springs, assuming no sag. I ran a 2" spacer lift on mine for a year with no other changes, it drove and rode fine. For you, I'd think about spacers, bilstiens, at least rear swaybar links and possibly an adjustable front trackbar if the front axle is too far off center.

245/75/16s or 245/70/17s would look great at that height, adding wheel spacers add a better, wider stance if you like that look.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.