Just Fixed my Heated seats! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Just Fixed my Heated seats!

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 12-29-2004, 11:27 AM   #1
Myrtle Beach

Just Fixed my Heated seats!

Fixed both my heated seats over the holidays. It only took 1 hour per seat and is a pretty easy job. After not having them work for the past three years...I must say, they are awesome. The problem was the same on both seats- the wire for the heating element broke on the side closest to the door. i used the tsb part number to complete the repair ($16 per seat) If anyone needs direction or help with the repair let me know.

[URL=http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wNTcxOTAxNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg]MY JEEP[/URL]

Last edited by Myrtle Beach; 12-29-2004 at 11:52 AM..
Myrtle Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2004, 12:11 PM   #2
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

And I thought I was a procrastinator!

Good job Myrtle!
Unread 12-29-2004, 12:11 PM   #3
squid2004

Might as well post the info while it's fresh in your mind, for the faq at least, I'm sure this will come in handy.
squid2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2004, 01:56 PM   #4
Myrtle Beach

-Tilt the seat back and slide forward
-remove the seat (4 bolts)
-disconnect the wiring harness
-remove the plastic cover with the power seat controls
-seperate the seat back from the seat cushion (3 bolts and 2 wirng harness)
-Check the Green wiring harness for continuity to find which element contains the open circuit(using a multi meter)-Most likely the side closest to the door has a broken wire and is causing the problem
-remove 3 hog rings and then carefully work the leather seat cover off the cushion
- cut the old heating wire and remove old harness. apply the new heating element to the cushion ( Since this would way allowed part of the cushion to block the element, I very carefully cut the cushion with a razor blade and installed the new heater on the other side of the cushion--closer to the seat)

---I also used two repair kits per seat so i wouldn;t have to later repair the side closet to the center console, most likely you will just need one per seat though

-reassemble the seat using the hog rings provided

WoLah!-toasty buns

This way the passenger can't complain anymore since the passenger side heat doesn't work either

[URL=http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wNTcxOTAxNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg]MY JEEP[/URL]
Unread 12-29-2004, 02:24 PM   #5
PlatinumZJ
Senior Moment Member

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrtle Beach
... i used the tsb part number to complete the repair ($16 per seat) If anyone needs direction or help with the repair let me know.
I need to do this too, can you call out the TSB # and part #, and where you got them (on-line w/ link, dealer, retail?).

Thanks for the write up. I've been dreading doing this, sounds like I worried over nothing.
Links: Kevin (AKA KOR) for ZJ & WJ stuff,
Kolak for performance stuff. I6 performance info at Dino's jeep 4.0 performance site
Other stuff: Kevin's Roof Rack. KOR sliders, Bored 62mm TB, Blaupunkt Bermuda w/ ipod, Brembo Slotted rotors,
OME steering stabilizer, H4 headlight upgrade...
PlatinumZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2004, 02:38 PM   #6
Myrtle Beach

The job wasn't nearly as bad as I thought-It was really pretty easy. I did the first seat by myself, and had help witht he second one (positioning the seat back)

Here is the part i got from the dealer, it was $16. I used two per seat, but you can most likely get by with just one kit per seat. Make sure your jeep's build date is applicable to the TSB!

-5019769AA Heated Seat Repair Kit (One kit per heating element)

0800401B - HEATED SEAT - INOPERATIVE
Date: 12/20/01 (supersedes 0800401A dated 03/01)

Model Year(s): 1999-2002

Description: Heated seat inoperative. On some vehicles the heated seat may be inoperative due to an open circuit in the seat cushion heating element.

Details: This bulletin involves installing a kit to repair an open circuit in the heated seat heating element circuit. Using a digital ohmmeter, check the resistance across the four way heated seat feed connector under the seat. The resistance between terminals “A” and “B”should be 0.90 ohms to 1.90 ohms. If the resistance value falls outside of this range, perform the Repair Procedure.

NOTE: SOME VEHICLES USE CARBON FIBER HEATING ELEMENTS. CARBON FIBER HEATING ELEMENTS HAVE A RESISTANCE OF 10 TO 14 OHMS IN THE BOLSTER ELEMENT. SEATS WITH CARBON FIBER ELEMENTS HAVE TWO CONNECTORS AT THE BACK OF THE SEAT. A TWO WAY CONNECTOR AND A FOUR WAY CONNECTOR. CARBON FIBER HEATING ELEMENTS ARE NOT SERVICEABLE AND REQUIRE REPLACEMENT OF THE SEAT COVER.

Parts required:
5019769AA Heated Seat Repair Kit (One kit per heating element)
5072485AA Heating Element - Seat back (2001 Vehicles, see Note below)
5072486AA Heating Element - Seat cushion (2001 Vehicles, see Note below)

The heated seat repair kit, P/N 05019769AA contains detailed installation instructions. Follow the instructions provided in the kit for installation. Refer to the 2002 Grand Cherokee service manual, publication number 81–370–02064, page 8G-14, for instructions on the replaceable heating elements, P/N 5072485AA and 5072486AA).

NOTES:

1999 Trim code DL: Use 5019769AA on vehicle built before Nov. 17, 1998. Vehicles built after Nov. 17, 1998 - replace seat cover

Unread 12-29-2004, 04:17 PM   #7
PlatinumZJ
Senior Moment Member

1997 ZJ 

Check the build date! Got it, I'll have to research the ZJ stuff a little. But, you have encouraged me to endevor to perservere!
Links: Kevin (AKA KOR) for ZJ & WJ stuff,
Kolak for performance stuff. I6 performance info at Dino's jeep 4.0 performance site
Other stuff: Kevin's Roof Rack. KOR sliders, Bored 62mm TB, Blaupunkt Bermuda w/ ipod, Brembo Slotted rotors,
OME steering stabilizer, H4 headlight upgrade...
PlatinumZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2004, 05:50 PM   #8
JCDubya
2009 WK 

Does the heated seat option only come with leather?
JCDubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2004, 06:33 PM   #9
Meerkat
1996 ZJ 

I think the heat only comes with Limited's and Limited's only come with leather...
Unread 12-29-2004, 06:56 PM   #10
JCDubya
2009 WK 

I want heated seats on my SE
JCDubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2004, 01:34 AM   #11
DanEms

Quote:
Fixed both my heated seats over the holidays. It only took 1 hour per seat and is a pretty easy job. After not having them work for the past three years...I must say, they are awesome. The problem was the same on both seats- the wire for the heating element broke on the side closest to the door. i used the tsb part number to complete the repair ($16 per seat) If anyone needs direction or help with the repair let me know.
Hey thanks for the info! I'm planning on doing this to my Grand Cherokee Limited as well. Right now I'm debating whether or not to do the TSB on the fuel module myself or letting a shop do it. I bought the parts for the job only $11 but the job itself requires draining and dropping the tank, in order to get to the fuel module. Anyways, I've got a few questions if you don't mind. First, how many heating elements are on each seat? Second, I've read the TSB and it listed part numbers for new heating elements and seat covers, are any of these needed or required for this job? Or can I just order the repair kit? Thanks in advance!
-Dan
DanEms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2004, 07:15 AM   #12
Myrtle Beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanEms
Hey thanks for the info! I'm planning on doing this to my Grand Cherokee Limited as well. Right now I'm debating whether or not to do the TSB on the fuel module myself or letting a shop do it. I bought the parts for the job only $11 but the job itself requires draining and dropping the tank, in order to get to the fuel module. Anyways, I've got a few questions if you don't mind. First, how many heating elements are on each seat? Second, I've read the TSB and it listed part numbers for new heating elements and seat covers, are any of these needed or required for this job? Or can I just order the repair kit? Thanks in advance!
-Dan
It depends what month and year your Jeep was built for the TSB kit. I beleive the seat contains 4 elements all together. one on each side of the seat, a center element, and then one in the seat back. The only part # i used was 5019769AA Heated Seat Repair Kit (1 per seat) to repair the open circuit on the side closest to the door in the seat. I used my original seat covers. Look inside the drivers side door to find your build date and post it. That should let us know if the repair kit is applicable to your jeep

Unread 12-30-2004, 03:00 PM   #13
DanEms

Quote:
It depends what month and year your Jeep was built for the TSB kit. I beleive the seat contains 4 elements all together. one on each side of the seat, a center element, and then one in the seat back. The only part # i used was 5019769AA Heated Seat Repair Kit (1 per seat) to repair the open circuit on the side closest to the door in the seat. I used my original seat covers. Look inside the drivers side door to find your build date and post it. That should let us know if the repair kit is applicable to your jeep
Hey thanks for the help. My build date is 11/99. So I'm wondering, if I had more than one wire broken for different elements on the same seat, would I still only need one repair kit per seat, or should I purchase more?
Thanks,
Dan
DanEms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2004, 07:22 AM   #14
Myrtle Beach

NOTES:

1999 Trim code DL: Use 5019769AA on vehicle built before Nov. 17, 1998. Vehicles built after Nov. 17, 1998 - replace seat cover

This makes me wonder if the TSB is for your Jeep. I would take the seat out and check the wiring harness for the continuity with a multi meter. On my seat, the wiring had a green clip. If you have an open circuit i would try to pull the seat cover off and see if you can locate where the wire broke, and solder it OR repair with the kit. Hope this helps

Unread 12-31-2004, 10:02 PM   #15
nashmd454
1996 ZJ 

I guess I am more of a pessimist...it still sounds hard to me...pulling the seats apart and cutting cushion and pulling the leather off and so on. I really don't want to come off as a dumb@#$ but could you PLEASE explain it to me in a easier way than you already did Myrtle.
nashmd454 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.