Just failed CA smog with kolak exhaust - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Just failed CA smog with kolak exhaust

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 07-16-2013, 12:28 PM   #16
tkottikas
2001 WJ 

well i just talked to Tom and he said i will have to install a new cat unless i want to go around trying to bribe everyone with a hundred. the problem is once i went to get it smoged he had to enter it into the system as tampered and that people are going to see that, and check it at every place i go to now.

does anyone know which cat i need to install now? do the larger pipes make a difference? hi flow or low flow?

tkottikas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 03:13 PM   #17
doorjamm
2000 WJ 

You have to buy in California, that's all I know, and sometimes the dealerships have a monopoly on that.
doorjamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 04:37 PM   #18
tkottikas
2001 WJ 

i just placed an order for the magnaflow 447206. i'm pretty confident thats one i could use but i'll ask a smog shop if that will pass.

Just an FYI though for people in California, they are starting to crack down on smog checks. i just had a friend not pass from a shop that he has been going to (filling gas and getting service from) fail his smog test cause he didnt have some CA approved sticker on his K & N cone air filter. when he came back to the shop he grabbed the sticker from his glove box and the guy made him take the test over again and charged him 1/2 the cost.
Unread 07-17-2013, 09:59 AM   #19
Merc1973
2002 WJ 

You need to move out of CA, that is just crazy! Have Magnaflow send documentation to the shop showing the cat is CA compliant...

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Merc1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2013, 11:59 AM   #20
phant0omx
2012 WK 

you need a ca cat/obd2 compliant cat, which is what you ordered. i believe it will be stamped on the cat, so when the smog tech does a visual he can see it and pass it. same with intakes/filters like one of the earlier posts stated, you got to have that sticker now. when you get the cat installed i'd make sure the stamp is visible/facing down, some shops don't care and install it facing up, which used to be a loop hole for non compliant cats in ca.

ca smog changed their system to STAR, it scores every smog tech and supposedly analyzes current and past failures and then puts a score to the tech. if a tech/shop scores low, the STAR approval is taken away and the smog shop can no longer do many types of smogs leaving them kind of dead in the water as far as business goes. so that's why it's going to be hard/harder to find someone to pass you on some smogs that pass emissions but don't pass visual.
phant0omx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 12:50 AM   #21
tkottikas
2001 WJ 

yeah talked to nick (kolak) and he wants me to ask if i can put in a 3 inch cat since my pipes are now 3 inches. i was told some confusing things at the shop so i have to verify that it will pass smog with a 3 inch input/output cat. i guess there is a code for certain class of engines i have to comply by. didnt have time to get to a shop today and probably wont till the weekend but ill let everyone know the facts *** soon as i get them so i can hopefully help out others if the/re in the same situation.

merc, the cat is not ca complaint. it does pass the sniff but does not have the ca "stamp" on it.
Unread 07-18-2013, 06:31 AM   #22
C101Commando

The way I'm understanding the ca smog laws is that cats have to be approved and sold by exact application, not generic. Like 99-04 jeep gc 4.7l, not the old "up to 6000 pound gvw, up to 5.0l" stuff. Even though your stuff will easily pass the sniff test, the California enviro nazis won't let it pass because you didn't say mother may I before you bought it...

I'm moving out of California the minute I retire...
Unread 07-18-2013, 09:31 AM   #23
CLUBSFIT
2003 WJ 

I remember getting blasted because I mentioned that people who replace functional cats are just as illegal as taking one off... If Kolak sells his system to someone he should have a CA option. The law does not allow for any cat replacement unless they are not functioning.
Unread 07-18-2013, 01:51 PM   #24
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkottikas View Post
yeah talked to nick (kolak) and he wants me to ask if i can put in a 3 inch cat since my pipes are now 3 inches. i was told some confusing things at the shop so i have to verify that it will pass smog with a 3 inch input/output cat. i guess there is a code for certain class of engines i have to comply by. didnt have time to get to a shop today and probably wont till the weekend but ill let everyone know the facts *** soon as i get them so i can hopefully help out others if the/re in the same situation.

merc, the cat is not ca complaint. it does pass the sniff but does not have the ca "stamp" on it.
Looks like you need to jump through alot of hoops to make it work in CA.

From Magnaflow's site...............
Quote:
Both the EPA and CARB have the following policy on California OBDII Aftermarket Converter Replacement:
A) The vehicle is specifically included in the vehicle California application list for which the new aftermarket catalytic converter has been exempted;

(B) The vehicle is more than 7 years old or has more than 70,000 miles on its odometer;

(C) The vehicle is beyond the coverage of the OEM catalyst warranty period (which can vary from 7 years or 70,000 miles to as high as 15 years or 150,000 miles). Installers may reference the vehicle owner’s manual/warranty booklet or contact the vehicle manufacturer or its representative to verify the applicable OEM catalyst warranty;

(D) The vehicle has a legitimate need for replacement of the existing converter that has been established and documented by the installer. The actual manufacturer’s warranty period for an individual vehicle is listed in the vehicle’s owner’s manual and/or warranty booklet. Examples of current warranty periods include seven years and 70,000 miles, eight years and 80,000 miles, and 15 years and 150,000 miles, depending on the vehicle. If the OEM converter is present, the installer must make a determination that it is not functioning properly before acting to replace it;

(E) The exempted new aftermarket catalytic converter is installed in the same location as the OEM catalytic converter it is designed to replace. The front face of the installed catalytic converter shall be no more than three inches further upstream or downstream in the exhaust from where the front face of the OEM catalytic converter was located. The installation may not alter the location, position, or orientation of oxygen sensors upstream and downstream of the catalytic converter(s);

(F) The exempted new aftermarket catalytic converter is installed on a one-for one catalytic converter basis;

(G) The exempted new aftermarket catalytic converter is installed with all other required catalytic converters (no consolidation of catalytic converters, nor addition of extra catalytic converters is allowed); and

(H) A California warranty card has been filled out by the installer, signed by the customer, attached to the repair invoice, and a copy returned to the manufacturer.

(I) Installers shall keep documentation regarding the installation of the new aftermarket catalytic converters including all of the above information. This documentation shall be made available to ARB or its representative as provided for in title 13, section 2222(b)(8). All such records shall be maintained for four years from the date of sale or installation of the catalytic converter.
Unread 07-18-2013, 01:57 PM   #25
Merc1973
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkottikas View Post
Gotcha, my fault.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Merc1973 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.