just cranks and key light w/ slash thru it - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > just cranks and key light w/ slash thru it

Happy Thursday! From Morris 4X4 CenterHalloween Savings to die for!THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 10-15-2014, 12:37 AM   #1
dutch724
2002 WJ 

just cranks and key light w/ slash thru it

02 wj 4.7lt
Please help!!!
I turn the key on and the key light with the slash thru it stays on solid. The engine just cranks. The fuel and volts gauge reads nothing. When the jeep lets me start it is when I notice that it will show gas and volts. But when those 2 read nothing then it won't start.
Could it be the crank position sensor?
I just replaced the fuel pump.
I have no codes that is telling me anything.

dutch724 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2014, 02:16 AM   #2
2000_JeepWJ_505
2000 WJ 

Wj

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch724 View Post
02 wj 4.7lt
Please help!!!
I turn the key on and the key light with the slash thru it stays on solid. The engine just cranks. The fuel and volts gauge reads nothing. When the jeep lets me start it is when I notice that it will show gas and volts. But when those 2 read nothing then it won't start.
I am dealing with the same thing, I replaced my Crankshaft sensor, Camshaft sensor, battery, battery terminals, fuel pump, fuel filter, spark plugs and I replaced a couple relays.. And I'm still dealing with this.. My fuel gauge, voltage meter and the Sentry Key lights only Turns On or (messes up) AFTER I STALL OUT,,
I honestly think its my PCM (Power Control Module) going out, its either the connector pins messed or the PCM is BAD..
I just fixed my connector. Pins that go to the pcm, I not sure if that fixed it because I haven't had time to test drive my Jeep. But if my pins weren't messed up, its almost a Guarantee my pcm is NO GOOD! I have a thread on WJ Grand Cherokee Forum, called ""2000 WJ Stalls Out Fuel Tank Says Empty""
I hope this helped out, if you fix it please report back on here.. ThAnKs
Unread 10-15-2014, 02:20 AM   #3
2000_JeepWJ_505
2000 WJ 

Wj

Also my Jeep started out the same way yours is. I would drive to my friends house about 25 minutes away, my Jeep would drive perfect but later when I was ready to leave, my Jeep would not start and the fuel gauge and voltage meter would say ZERO and my Sentry Key light would stay on until my Jeep started.. Then my Jeep started stalling and it would take 1-2 hours until it would start again..
Unread 10-15-2014, 02:24 AM   #4
2000_JeepWJ_505
2000 WJ 

Wj

It could also be that u need a new Key, your key might have just messed up? Just saying... I really think it your PCM... Good luck with solving your problem..
Unread 10-15-2014, 07:34 AM   #5
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Quote:
02 wj 4.7lt
Please help!!!
9 times out of 10, when your fuel gauge and voltmeter are inop, then it's your ECM that's bad. It's a quick and dirty diagnosis, as both of those gauges are a direct output of the ECM. When they don't display a static reading, it means the ECM isn't powering up. You can also verify a dead ECM by trying to hook up a code scanner, if the ECM isn't powering up the scanner will likely display a communication error message.

However, that's not to say that the ECM is the culprit, as you could have a sensor that's shorted to ground and preventing the ECM from powering up. The most common sources of this are the wiring to the crank position sensor and the O2 sensors. I would suggest at least doing a visual check on those two sections of wire and look for any obvious signs of failure. In some extreme cases, you can have an internally shorted CKP or O2 sensor that will prevent the ECM from powering up as well.

If you decide to replace the CKP, then you need to go with a Mopar replacement. The aftermarket sensors tend to have an extremely short life span. As for an ECM replacement, you have 3 viable options-

1- A1 Cardone from your parts store or online vendor of choice
2- Mopar reman
3- Used junkyard unit

All three will need to be flashed to your VIN, there's no getting around that. I would recommend staying away from any of the numerous listings on eBay and the rest of web from computer 'remanufacturers' that are based in the southern part of the US. They typically sell for half the cost of A1 Cardone rebuilt ECM's, but they have a less than stellar track record for reliability and customer service. A quick search on the web and on here will show you that.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2014, 08:11 AM   #6
dutch724
2002 WJ 

Thx at least I have a good direction to go.
I have never replaced the crank position sensor so I think I will start there.
Does anyone know where it's located on the wj 4.7?
If this doesn't work then I'm going to send it off to the dealer so they can tell me exactly what's wrong with it.
Thanks for the help.
Unread 10-15-2014, 08:25 AM   #7
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

On the 4.7 the CKP is accessed by removing the starter.

Unread 10-15-2014, 08:50 AM   #8
dutch724
2002 WJ 

Seriously! Under the starter or near it?
On the side of it or on either end of the starter?
Unread 10-15-2014, 09:01 AM   #9
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Seriously! Under the starter or near it?
On the side of it or on either end of the starter?
It's between the starter and the block. You might be able to remove it without pulling the starter, but the extra room you get from pulling the two starter bolts and sliding it back a few inches is well worth it.

Unread 10-15-2014, 01:07 PM   #10
dutch724
2002 WJ 

Awesome. Thx for info.
Hopefully it will fix my issue.

I wonder how often the ECM goes out on these jeeps? Is it rare or happen a lot?
Unread 10-15-2014, 01:14 PM   #11
Darnice
2004 WJ 

If you turn the key to ON, but not start/crank, and the sentry key does not go off after a few sec, don't waste your time on the CPS or CAM, cause they are not in use yet.
Have you checked for codes? key off to on 3x stopping at on will display any faults in the odometer
Darnice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2014, 04:19 PM   #12
dutch724
2002 WJ 

Ok so your are saying that the ECM is the issue for sure?
When I can get it started it has a idle that is about 1100-1200 rpm and doesn't come down at all.
I did hold the c/t and reset buttons and it said that test passed. I have no idea what I tested but it passed.

Idk if that helps figure out the problem.
Unread 10-15-2014, 04:23 PM   #13
dutch724
2002 WJ 

Oh yeah when I turn the key 3 times I get no reaction. It doesn't say codes or that it's done or anything.
That's a first time it's done that.
Unread 10-15-2014, 07:33 PM   #14
2000_JeepWJ_505
2000 WJ 

Wj

Like I said I bet its your (PCM, ECM, ECU) there the same thing just different names, I replaced my Crankshaft sensor and camshaft sensor with Mopar ones and just in case there were messed up I even bought cheap ones. I replaced lots of parts for nothing, well I guess its called preventive maintenance. I really think its the COMPUTER! Im buying a A1-Cardone reman Computer, theres a lot of GOOD reviews about Cardones. They sell Cardone computers at Napa Auto Parts, Orielly's, and Auto Zone. They sell for around $224 to $360 depending on if you give them your old computer, Napa has the cheapest Cardone for around $224 after you give them your old PCM/ECM/ECU..
Unread 10-15-2014, 09:25 PM   #15
bradywgn71

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Oh yeah when I turn the key 3 times I get no reaction. It doesn't say codes or that it's done or anything.
That's a first time it's done that.
Exactly what happened to mine when the ECM went bad. It wouldn't even say "done" either. V8 ECMs don't like being next to the passenger exhaust manifold heat. Mine would die when the engine warmed up and not restart until it cooled off.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.