Just Bought a Jepp - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Just Bought a Jepp

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 09-06-2013, 06:52 PM   #1
Kirk1009
2002 WJ 

Wj Just Bought a Jepp

I just bought an 02 WJ 4x4 with 111k miles about 6 months ago. I have replaced the front rotors, calipers, and pads, the engine belt. Did a transmission service, replaced the spark sencor and all 4 shocks. does anyone have any suggestions of what I should takel next. truck still rides a little rough, although I did buy some pretty cheep shocks. and the engine is still idleling a little rough. any suggestions would be appreciated thanks

Kirk1009 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2013, 07:14 PM   #2
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

Congrats and welcome!

If you don't know when it was last done, open up the diffs and make sure there's no metal in the bottom, and fill with new fluid. Replace spark plugs with champion truck plugs. Would change coolant as well if you don't know how old what's presently there is. Then look at hubs and ball joints and look for play in them. After that, Check your control arms and if they need replacing. For the upper a-arm in the back, check the bushings on it, and the ball joint that joins it to the top of the diff. Another part that I find wears is the front swaybar bushings. When they wear past a certain point it allow the swaybar to move side to side through the bushings. It'll end up being a clunk noise when the front is flexed, like going over a curb or dip in the road, especially when turning. As well, check for play in the u-joints on the rear driveshaft and if the pinion seals seap and need to be replaced. I'd also check the front drive shaft, and determine what type you have, and if the rezeppa on the t-case end, is the boot intact or fipped. Also drain and refill the t-case unless you know when it was last changed.

HID Quad bi-xenon + foglight retrofit
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
cykaaro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2013, 07:25 PM   #3
Kirk1009
2002 WJ 

Thanks cykaaro. I appreciate the info. I will start checking these out this weekend.
Unread 09-06-2013, 07:27 PM   #4
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

Once the fluids are changed, you know when they've been done, and others are things that typically go. Been replacing all of my suspension parts last while. Now just my steering to get fixed as it's off, but looks like it may be just an alignment is needed as it's off.

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
Unread 09-06-2013, 07:30 PM   #5
Kirk1009
2002 WJ 

t-case? the Transmisson case?
Unread 09-06-2013, 07:32 PM   #6
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

t-case = transfer case.

Unread 09-06-2013, 08:57 PM   #7
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cykaaro View Post
Congrats and welcome!

If you don't know when it was last done, open up the diffs and make sure there's no metal in the bottom, and fill with new fluid. Replace spark plugs with champion truck plugs. Would change coolant as well if you don't know how old what's presently there is. Then look at hubs and ball joints and look for play in them. After that, Check your control arms and if they need replacing. For the upper a-arm in the back, check the bushings on it, and the ball joint that joins it to the top of the diff. Another part that I find wears is the front swaybar bushings. When they wear past a certain point it allow the swaybar to move side to side through the bushings. It'll end up being a clunk noise when the front is flexed, like going over a curb or dip in the road, especially when turning. As well, check for play in the u-joints on the rear driveshaft and if the pinion seals seap and need to be replaced. I'd also check the front drive shaft, and determine what type you have, and if the rezeppa on the t-case end, is the boot intact or fipped. Also drain and refill the t-case unless you know when it was last changed.
Don't forget to use the HOAT coolant. Zerex G-05 or buy the pink stuff from the dealer.

Sent from my iPad using my fingers
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.