Just bought a Jeep, can you help me fix 2 "simple" issues? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Just bought a Jeep, can you help me fix 2 "simple" issues?

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 10-23-2014, 07:24 AM   #1
jgangeles92

Just bought a Jeep, can you help me fix 2 "simple" issues?

I just bought a Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 2002, for $2000. The man who sold it to me was elderly and said he didn't drive it enough because he liked his other car too much. The caveat was the driver side window doesn't roll down, and the key doesn't lock the car.

The key starts the car and I can push the lock button on the inside, but I cant unlock it from the outside and he already lost the remote entry fob. To be honest I haven't had time to open the door and see whats wrong with it. But I just wanted to come here to see if anyone dealt with these problems and have a common thing to look for, im not a mechanic or anything but I feel like these are things I can fix at home on the weekend or something. Thanks for your time guys!

jgangeles92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2014, 07:45 AM   #2
caronaxtr
2001 XJ Cherokee 

On my JGC WJ I had, the driver window got all messed up one day. The window is run by an electric motor that turns a plastic wheel (pulley). The pulley pulls steel cables & (on mine) the cables tore up the pulley. I ended pulling off the door panel, pulled the window out & take the track & motor assembly out. It's all 1 piece, and came out with 4-5 bolts. Dealer has a replacement for $100+/-. Easy fix just take your time. There could be issues with the switches too, but pull the door panel & check it out.

Door locks, sounds like rollers in the lock. Try to spray some WD40 in the lock (use the straw). Insert the key, wiggle the key, repeat. Since most people just use the fob the locks could have never been used & seized up. Be sure to not spray enough that it comes out the lock, WD40 may have adverse effects on your paint.
caronaxtr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2014, 07:46 AM   #3
michiganmaveric
Got Beer?

2011 JK Wrangler 

For the key, try spraying some WD40 or PB Blaster in the key slot and working it after it sits a while. Does the key open the hatch lock? For the window, look at the wires in the rubber boot between the door and body. If you do not find any broken wires there then it is probably a bad motor.

Welcome to the forum.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, how do you have time to do it over.

Lifetime member #13

www.militaryjeepers.com lifetime member/airforce26yrs

2011 Tango/Mango JKU
michiganmaveric is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2014, 07:50 AM   #4
JordanAssemb
2001 WJ 

The window could be a couple of things (switch, motor, wiring between them, or it's simply frozen in its tracks). Does it make any noise when you hit the switch?

As for the key, does the lock cylinder turn? assuming that it's the correct lock, it could just be frozen like mine. i used a graphite lubricant to get it undone. Granted, mine was from the previous owners lack of use.

Also, if you want to get a key fob, you'll have to bring it to the dealership, or a mechanic who has access to a DRBIII

http://www.wjjeeps.com/sentry.htm#RKE
JordanAssemb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2014, 07:52 AM   #5
jgangeles92

Thanks for the quick reply guys! I guess I should tell you what happens when I try to turn the key in the door haha, well when I turn the key nothing happens. I turn it left nothing happens turn it right nothing happens, no clicks no sounds no nothing. Just turning the key to turn it for fun. But I will try the WD40 fix today, and @caronaxtr do you think I could get a working motor from a junkyard for a cheaper price ?

Thanks for your service michiganmaveric 26 years is a lot, I just finished my first in the green suit.
Unread 10-23-2014, 07:56 AM   #6
jgangeles92

@JordanAssemb, no there is no sound coming from the window at this time.
Unread 10-23-2014, 08:12 AM   #7
JordanAssemb
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgangeles92 View Post
@JordanAssemb, no there is no sound coming from the window at this time.
My money would be on an electrical issue then, but of course i cant be sure without being in front of it. Also, if your cylinder turns then something happened in there, and you'll need to pop off the door panel. I don't think it's a stretch to say these two things could be related: maybe someone started working on it and just gave up, tossed the panel back on, and sold it to you. You wont know until you start pulling the panel. If you've never done that before, here's a guide: http://www.wjjeeps.com/doors/doorpanel.htm
JordanAssemb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2014, 08:19 AM   #8
jgangeles92

thanks for that ! @JordanAssemb im probably going to try and do that today.
Unread 10-23-2014, 09:24 AM   #9
jgangeles92

http://www.gemplers.com/product/1985...0141023142207s

Also I noticed that when I take a turn to hard it sounds like something is rubbing, and I just read in the ultimate buyers guide sticky that changing the t case fluid would help, and I did some more research but I wanted to double check that this oil would be fine to use if mopar is not available.

the gear shift says Quadra - something.

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited V8

if that helps anybody
Unread 10-23-2014, 11:20 AM   #10
JohnnyV
2002 WJ 

That oil is NOT fine to use in the transfer case. Use the recommended Mopar fluids.
JohnnyV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2014, 11:37 AM   #11
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgangeles92
http://www.gemplers.com/product/1985...0141023142207s Also I noticed that when I take a turn to hard it sounds like something is rubbing, and I just read in the ultimate buyers guide sticky that changing the t case fluid would help, and I did some more research but I wanted to double check that this oil would be fine to use if mopar is not available. the gear shift says Quadra - something. 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited V8 if that helps anybody
That is a equivalent oil for the 247 case. Amsoil also has a fluid for the 247.

The axles need the friction modifier in them if you have the qudradrive system or they will grex and groan in tight turns in the parking lot.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2014, 11:44 AM   #12
JohnnyV
2002 WJ 

Holy smokes... so that oil is the same as Mopar 247 transfer case oil? Looks like regular transmission oil.... states "Use where Type A, Dexron and Type F fluids"
JohnnyV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2014, 01:28 PM   #13
grussell
2001 WJ 

You can download a service manual here www.jeepslimited.com which will be helpful when you tackle that window/door lock issue.
Unread 10-24-2014, 12:10 PM   #14
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyV
Holy smokes... so that oil is the same as Mopar 247 transfer case oil? Looks like regular transmission oil.... states "Use where Type A, Dexron and Type F fluids"
Mopar may have started out in 99 using atf. But now it's rebranded mobile 424 in a mopar bottle. It's basically a light hyd oil with friction modifier in it. The blue stuff from GM works in the 247 case also.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2014, 12:23 PM   #15
Acc0919mc
2000 WJ 

There quadra drive quadra track and quadra tack II lol. Most likely its quadra drive, i dont even know if they offered the other options on the V8
Acc0919mc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.