JKS - HD Track Bar Noise *FIXED* - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 05-19-2016, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
-HAZARD-
2004 WJ 

JKS - HD Track Bar Noise *FIXED*

I wanted to post this here in case it helps someone.

I have an 04 Overland that I just installed an RC Long Arm lift with 4.5" Clayton Coils, Bilstein's, JKS Disco's, and JKS HD Track Bar (the one with the currie style joint). All brand new stuff.

I was chasing an extremely irritating front end rattle post lift. Not when turning, but just from going over the slightest bumps in the road, even at a slight roll.

First I replaced the RC sway-bar disco's with JKS ones. Marginally better, but still rattled. Then decided to replace the JKS disco's with fixed IRO ones. Again, things improved but still a rattle up front. Went through all the standard stuff looking for the issue, all the while re-torquing everything.

Finally zeroed in on it being the track-bar, by just laying under the vehicle and pushing up on the front bumper flexing the springs. I was getting a metallic "clunking" sound where the track-bar is fastened to the axle. I removed it and found the currie joint to be virtually seized. It would hardly budge even with a great amount of force on it. I now recall when I installed it, I wasn't able to freely move it either, but thought nothing of it.

I pressed it out, and then the ball part (which is contained in its own housing) inside moved much more freely, but still a bit tight. I just worked it around until it loosened up more and pressed it back in. Of note, is that the joint housing looked fatigued inside where the ball part is pressed within the joint. Just about a 40% area looked like the metal of the housing was stretched by the ball part maybe not being pressed in evenly by the factory. Tough to explain, I should have taken a photo.

Once back together, it then moved as freely as it did when it was out of the housing. Bolted it back in and rattle gone.

I honestly can't understand why it was making the loose rattling sound being seized up like it was, but it fixed the problem.

Signature
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 05-19-2016, 06:22 PM
weaselsmopar
2004 WJ 

Good to know as I just installed a new JKS HD trackbar a couple of day's ago. To bad for me it has shown me that I now have to replace the upper and lower control arms now that my front axle is now centered correctly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.