Jegs Exhaust cutout thoughts - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Jegs Exhaust cutout thoughts

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineZone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, DiscBilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and C

Reply
Unread 02-06-2013, 01:27 PM   #1
lvngtheJEEPlife
Registered User
2001 WJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Plainfield, Illinois
Posts: 936
Jegs Exhaust cutout thoughts

My birthday is coming up in a few days so my mom gave me some extra cash and i want to do something cheap to the WJ, And the Jegs exhaust cutout is only $30, Anyone have any experience? Seems like it could be fun lol, Pros/ Cons? Thanks!

__________________
2001 WJ Limited 4.7 Powertech, Quadradrive, 2" BDS lift.
"If you can't get there in a Jeep, You should reconsider going there."
lvngtheJEEPlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 01:34 PM   #2
funkduck
Registered User
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,179
Pro:
  • Lightens your wallet, which makes you faster!

Cons:
  • Everything else.
__________________
Your loss.
funkduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 01:34 PM   #3
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep
 
McCloudsZJ's Avatar
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 2,582
Pros: Sounds neat.
Cons: Probably illegal, depending on where you live and where you put it in relation to your cat and muffler. Doesn't do anything for HP; at least nothing I could detect with the butt dyno.
Conclusion: I did it...

__________________
March 2014 GCOTM. 1998 Deep Slate 5.9
On the Jeep:Hot intake, 52mm TB, Summit 8mm wires, catch can, 703s, insulated fuel rails, indexed Champions, Bilstein 4600s, Eibach lowering springs, Moog SS, Ironman mounts, Lotek 2GP, lots of gauges, sparkly paint.
In the garage: M1 4bbl
In the works: Addco/Hellwig sway bars, nitrous, full polly bushings, full exhaust, data logging, billet UD pulleys
McCloudsZJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 01:38 PM   #4
forestrat
Registered User
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Paso Robles, CA
Posts: 85
ahh to be young again!
__________________
| '02 Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L H.O. | 3" IRO | Bilstein 5100 | 31.6" 265/70/17 | Superchips 3875 | aFe Cold Air |
forestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 01:44 PM   #5
lvngtheJEEPlife
Registered User
2001 WJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Plainfield, Illinois
Posts: 936
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkduck View Post
Pro:
  • Lightens your wallet, which makes you faster!

Cons:
  • Everything else.
"Everything else" Being?
__________________
2001 WJ Limited 4.7 Powertech, Quadradrive, 2" BDS lift.
"If you can't get there in a Jeep, You should reconsider going there."
lvngtheJEEPlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 01:47 PM   #6
lvngtheJEEPlife
Registered User
2001 WJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Plainfield, Illinois
Posts: 936
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCloudsZJ View Post
Pros: Sounds neat.
Cons: Probably illegal, depending on where you live and where you put it in relation to your cat and muffler. Doesn't do anything for HP; at least nothing I could detect with the butt dyno.
Conclusion: I did it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-40EsZgvZ4
Sounds pretty good! And the illegal part im not to concerned about because a loud jeep is the last of the concerns for the police in my town with all the Probably not street legal trucks driving around lol
__________________
2001 WJ Limited 4.7 Powertech, Quadradrive, 2" BDS lift.
"If you can't get there in a Jeep, You should reconsider going there."
lvngtheJEEPlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 02:06 PM   #7
Lil_Ape
Registered User
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 213
I have the summit racing cutout, which is the same thing as Jegs but a lil cheaper. Had it installed right after the cat and it sounds bad ***. Also have kolaks 3" magnaflow setup so I get the best of both worlds. Just recently installed summits electric cutout and got the switch mounted on the dash a few days ago. No longer have to crawl underneath to un cork the exhaust now.

Sent from my HTC One V using JeepForum
__________________
'02 WJ limited / 4.7L H.O. V8 / 2WD
Lil_Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 02:26 PM   #8
funkduck
Registered User
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvngtheJEEPlife View Post
"Everything else" Being?
I know this is going to come across as rude, and maybe I am rude but I'm telling you the truth as I see it and that is the opposite of rude.
  • You're spending money to make your vehicle obnoxious to 90% of anyone who has to hear it.
  • Just about all the women I've ever been around, assume that giant trucks and loud exhausts are the universal symbol of compensating for a shortcoming. It's not uncommon to hear women shout, "Sorry about your p*nis!" when their conversation is interrupted by some 120dB D.B. flatulating past on their Harley or loud-exhaust truck or rice car.
  • The only people you'll ever impress with a loud exhaust are dudes...
  • You don't actually gain any meaningful amount of power vs. a good exhaust because noise and horsepower don't share a 1:1 relationship.
  • It's just another thing to fail

You can put a cut-out on there if you wish, I won't lose any sleep over it (assuming you don't drive past my house at night ) but you asked for our thoughts on the topic and those are mine. I could just blow rainbows up your exhaust if you prefer
__________________
Your loss.
funkduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 02:39 PM   #9
1AAdam
Registered User
2000 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,572
i always thought cutouts are for much larger engines to not attract attention on their way to the track. personal preference i guess but i don't think it would do anything performance wise.
__________________
Adam
1aauto.com
888-844-3393
1AAdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 02:42 PM   #10
04Overland47
Senior Member
 
04Overland47's Avatar
2004 WJ 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Colonia, NJ
Posts: 760
Here's my WJ with the same exact cutout...Jegs for $30. Never had any problems with it and makes the Jeep sound mean!
__________________
2004 WJ Overland 4.7HO Graphite ~118k miles / Powerstick Muffler / Superchips / Bilstein HD's / Addco Rear Bar / 17" Moabs
1998 ZJ Limited 5.9 SOLD!
2010 WK Laredo 5.7

Youtube Channel
WJ Thread
04Overland47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 05:26 PM   #11
lvngtheJEEPlife
Registered User
2001 WJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Plainfield, Illinois
Posts: 936
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkduck View Post

I know this is going to come across as rude, and maybe I am rude but I'm telling you the truth as I see it and that is the opposite of rude.

[*]You're spending money to make your vehicle obnoxious to 90% of anyone who has to hear it.[*]Just about all the women I've ever been around, assume that giant trucks and loud exhausts are the universal symbol of compensating for a shortcoming. It's not uncommon to hear women shout, "Sorry about your p*nis!" when their conversation is interrupted by some 120dB D.B. flatulating past on their Harley or loud-exhaust truck or rice car.[*]The only people you'll ever impress with a loud exhaust are dudes...[*]You don't actually gain any meaningful amount of power vs. a good exhaust because noise and horsepower don't share a 1:1 relationship.[*]It's just another thing to fail


You can put a cut-out on there if you wish, I won't lose any sleep over it (assuming you don't drive past my house at night ) but you asked for our thoughts on the topic and those are mine. I could just blow rainbows up your exhaust if you prefer
Lol no offense taken and you make valid points, made me laugh a little too haha. Okay thanks guys
__________________
2001 WJ Limited 4.7 Powertech, Quadradrive, 2" BDS lift.
"If you can't get there in a Jeep, You should reconsider going there."
lvngtheJEEPlife is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.