Jegs Exhaust cutout thoughts - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Jegs Exhaust cutout thoughts

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 02-06-2013, 01:27 PM   #1
lvngtheJEEPlife
2001 WJ 

Jegs Exhaust cutout thoughts

My birthday is coming up in a few days so my mom gave me some extra cash and i want to do something cheap to the WJ, And the Jegs exhaust cutout is only $30, Anyone have any experience? Seems like it could be fun lol, Pros/ Cons? Thanks!

Unread 02-06-2013, 01:34 PM   #2
funkduck
2002 WJ 

Pro:
  • Lightens your wallet, which makes you faster!

Cons:
  • Everything else.
Unread 02-06-2013, 01:34 PM   #3
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

Pros: Sounds neat.
Cons: Probably illegal, depending on where you live and where you put it in relation to your cat and muffler. Doesn't do anything for HP; at least nothing I could detect with the butt dyno.
Conclusion: I did it...

In the works: Addco/Hellwig sway bars, nitrous, full polly bushings, full exhaust, data logging, billet UD pulleys
McCloudsZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 01:38 PM   #4
forestrat
2002 WJ 

ahh to be young again!
Unread 02-06-2013, 01:44 PM   #5
lvngtheJEEPlife
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkduck View Post
Pro:
  • Lightens your wallet, which makes you faster!

Cons:
  • Everything else.
"Everything else" Being?
Unread 02-06-2013, 01:47 PM   #6
lvngtheJEEPlife
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCloudsZJ View Post
Pros: Sounds neat.
Cons: Probably illegal, depending on where you live and where you put it in relation to your cat and muffler. Doesn't do anything for HP; at least nothing I could detect with the butt dyno.
Conclusion: I did it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-40EsZgvZ4
Sounds pretty good! And the illegal part im not to concerned about because a loud jeep is the last of the concerns for the police in my town with all the Probably not street legal trucks driving around lol
Unread 02-06-2013, 02:06 PM   #7
Lil_Ape
2002 WJ 

I have the summit racing cutout, which is the same thing as Jegs but a lil cheaper. Had it installed right after the cat and it sounds bad ***. Also have kolaks 3" magnaflow setup so I get the best of both worlds. Just recently installed summits electric cutout and got the switch mounted on the dash a few days ago. No longer have to crawl underneath to un cork the exhaust now.

Sent from my HTC One V using JeepForum
Unread 02-06-2013, 02:26 PM   #8
funkduck
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvngtheJEEPlife View Post
"Everything else" Being?
I know this is going to come across as rude, and maybe I am rude but I'm telling you the truth as I see it and that is the opposite of rude.
  • You're spending money to make your vehicle obnoxious to 90% of anyone who has to hear it.
  • Just about all the women I've ever been around, assume that giant trucks and loud exhausts are the universal symbol of compensating for a shortcoming. It's not uncommon to hear women shout, "Sorry about your p*nis!" when their conversation is interrupted by some 120dB D.B. flatulating past on their Harley or loud-exhaust truck or rice car.
  • The only people you'll ever impress with a loud exhaust are dudes...
  • You don't actually gain any meaningful amount of power vs. a good exhaust because noise and horsepower don't share a 1:1 relationship.
  • It's just another thing to fail

You can put a cut-out on there if you wish, I won't lose any sleep over it (assuming you don't drive past my house at night ) but you asked for our thoughts on the topic and those are mine. I could just blow rainbows up your exhaust if you prefer
Unread 02-06-2013, 02:39 PM   #9
1AAdam
2000 WJ 

i always thought cutouts are for much larger engines to not attract attention on their way to the track. personal preference i guess but i don't think it would do anything performance wise.
1AAdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 02:42 PM   #10
04Overland47

2004 WJ 

Here's my WJ with the same exact cutout...Jegs for $30. Never had any problems with it and makes the Jeep sound mean!

Youtube Channel
WJ Thread
04Overland47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 05:26 PM   #11
lvngtheJEEPlife
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkduck View Post

I know this is going to come across as rude, and maybe I am rude but I'm telling you the truth as I see it and that is the opposite of rude.

[*]You're spending money to make your vehicle obnoxious to 90% of anyone who has to hear it.[*]Just about all the women I've ever been around, assume that giant trucks and loud exhausts are the universal symbol of compensating for a shortcoming. It's not uncommon to hear women shout, "Sorry about your p*nis!" when their conversation is interrupted by some 120dB D.B. flatulating past on their Harley or loud-exhaust truck or rice car.[*]The only people you'll ever impress with a loud exhaust are dudes...[*]You don't actually gain any meaningful amount of power vs. a good exhaust because noise and horsepower don't share a 1:1 relationship.[*]It's just another thing to fail

You can put a cut-out on there if you wish, I won't lose any sleep over it (assuming you don't drive past my house at night ) but you asked for our thoughts on the topic and those are mine. I could just blow rainbows up your exhaust if you prefer
Lol no offense taken and you make valid points, made me laugh a little too haha. Okay thanks guys

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.