Jeep wont start. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Jeep wont start.

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 12-12-2013, 08:18 AM   #1
cr8zynelly

2002 WJ 

Jeep wont start.

Replaced the heater core. Put everything back together and reconnected the battery and the jeep doesn't recognize that a key is in the ignition. All the lights/headlights/horn work.
I checked all the connections and fuses.
Now Im lost.
Help!!

cr8zynelly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2013, 12:58 PM   #2
berndog67
2003 WJ 

do u have regular keys or transponder keys, cuz even with transponder keys it should almost start or start and immediately die, but if your getting not even a single crank outta it, i would say check your battery voltage hasnt dipped too low and check the battery terminals and cables, cuz our jeeps are very, very, very picky when it comes to good grounds and connections, as u prolly already know from reading on here about no starts to tail lights!
2003 WJ Overland, 4.7HO, D30 & D44A (1 tons going in now!), RC Long Arm, lifted 4" Front 6" Rear, RC 2.2 4" Shocks, JKS track bar, custom hi-steer, 35" Procomp M/T's on JK rims, beefed up Overland rock rails, custom skids and dif gaurds, Rugged Ridge 8500 synthetic winch in custom hidden mount
berndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2013, 01:33 PM   #3
cr8zynelly

2002 WJ 

I have a transponder key.
Battery seems fine.
When I put the key in nothing happens. The doors chime doesn't go. The dash dont light up. There's no response to putting the key in.
Unread 12-12-2013, 04:53 PM   #4
berndog67
2003 WJ 

i would almost best on the ground terminal not having a good connection, had the same problem when i put a new battery in this past spring, couldnt figure it out for almost an hour, turns out the cable terminal end was outta round, so maybe like 25% of the cable end was touching the battery terminal, put new ends on and not a problem since, if that still doesnt help u then i would bring your battery to the local auto parts store like an advance auto, most usually test them for free, heck u could even jump your jeep to see if it is indeed a key problem
2003 WJ Overland, 4.7HO, D30 & D44A (1 tons going in now!), RC Long Arm, lifted 4" Front 6" Rear, RC 2.2 4" Shocks, JKS track bar, custom hi-steer, 35" Procomp M/T's on JK rims, beefed up Overland rock rails, custom skids and dif gaurds, Rugged Ridge 8500 synthetic winch in custom hidden mount
Unread 12-12-2013, 10:06 PM   #5
cr8zynelly

2002 WJ 

What were your symptoms?
Unread 12-13-2013, 04:26 AM   #6
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I'd recheck all those plugs you unplugged to remove the dash to gain access to the heater box.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2013, 11:23 AM   #7
cr8zynelly

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86cj74.2L
I'd recheck all those plugs you unplugged to remove the dash to gain access to the heater box.
I ran thru all the connections.

Could it have anything to do with battery being disconnected for over a week? I feel like I read something on here a while ago about someone doing a motor swap and having the battery disconnected for over a week and having problems with the ignition when he put everything back together.
Unread 12-14-2013, 12:28 PM   #8
greeky510
2000 WJ 

I have heard of that issue happening when the battery is disconnected for more than a week but I have personally disconnected my battery for 34 days and no issues.
The immobilizer thing is on the steering column around and underneath the key hole. Take your steering column cover of and look at those connections again.
Do you have a remote start installed?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
greeky510 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2013, 01:16 PM   #9
cr8zynelly

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeky510
I have heard of that issue happening when the battery is disconnected for more than a week but I have personally disconnected my battery for 34 days and no issues.
The immobilizer thing is on the steering column around and underneath the key hole. Take your steering column cover of and look at those connections again.
Do you have a remote start installed?

Which immobilizer thing?
Unread 12-14-2013, 03:18 PM   #10
cr8zynelly

2002 WJ 

I do have a remote start but haven't used it in years because lost the key fob.
Unread 12-14-2013, 04:55 PM   #11
berndog67
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr8zynelly View Post
I do have a remote start but haven't used it in years because lost the key fob.
could be part of the problem if it was wired to the battery directly either a ground or a power source and wasnt hooked back up
Unread 12-14-2013, 08:49 PM   #12
greeky510
2000 WJ 

The immobilizer module is located right underneath the key hole on the steering column. There are a couple of plus there, including a plug with a key sense wire.
What does it do when you turn the key to the ACC, ON and Start position?
Your remote start. Do you have any info on it? Open the drivers door and use the lock button on the door panel. Hit lock-unlock-lock-unlock-lock, did it start?

Unread 12-14-2013, 08:50 PM   #13
greeky510
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeky510 View Post
The immobilizer module is located right underneath the key hole on the steering column. There are a couple of plugs there, including a plug with a key sense wire.
What does it do when you turn the key to the ACC, ON and Start position?
Your remote start. Do you have any info on it? Open the drivers door and use the lock button on the door panel. Hit lock-unlock-lock-unlock-lock, did it start?

Unread 12-14-2013, 10:24 PM   #14
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeky510
The immobilizer module is located right underneath the key hole on the steering column. There are a couple of plus there, including a plug with a key sense wire. What does it do when you turn the key to the ACC, ON and Start position? Your remote start. Do you have any info on it? Open the drivers door and use the lock button on the door panel. Hit lock-unlock-lock-unlock-lock, did it start? Sent from AutoGuide.com App
He said he gets nothing. No dash light bulb check. Like the instrument cluster is unplugged.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2013, 07:17 AM   #15
cr8zynelly

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86cj74.2L

He said he gets nothing. No dash light bulb check. Like the instrument cluster is unplugged.
Correct. I checked that twice and it is plugged in.

I have headlights/brake-tail lights/Horn

Interior lights when switched on manually(they don't go on when u open the doors)

Drivers door only unlocks/locks itself. Passenger door unlocks itself and BOTH rear doors.

When I put the key in I get nothing. Almost like the dash is unplugged.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.