Jeep Won't Start - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Jeep Won't Start

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 11-28-2013, 07:04 PM   #16
new2site
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFuries View Post
Cables have been cleaned, checked, all connections cleaned and check, relay tested.
Yeah...but you didn't cut either of the terminals off to see if your cables are caked with corrosion inside...correct?..see my earlier post...

new2site is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2013, 10:51 PM   #17
FFuries
1996 ZJ 

Actually cables were cut about three months ago, with new connectors put on the ends. This has been an on-going issue for a little bit. Last week cables cut again, using same connectors, when the starter and battery were removed and tested.

Yes wires on cables are dullish in color but not showing signs of corrosion that I can see, that is not to say that there isn't corrosion futher down on the wires, that I cannot see.
4.0 L
Stock 2000 Jeep WJ Laredo
4.7, Loaded W/ Every Option Available
FFuries is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2013, 01:10 AM   #18
nolimitssjca
1999 WJ 

Given that the Battery and Starter have tested ok that leaves just the connection between them. I would suggest taking the second battery and connecting a new cable to the starter as a test. The should rule in or out the existing wire.
1970 Chevy C-20 350, 2002 Kawasaki Vulcan
nolimitssjca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2013, 02:16 AM   #19
veiri86

2003 WJ 

I suspect the crank position sensor if you are sure that both starter and battery are good. Try to pull the code using the key trick and report back which codes you get.

01' 4.7 Limited WJ 5" lifted, Rubicon Express 4.5" coil springs with IRO critical path setup and Bilstien 5100 shocks all around, JKS adjustable Trackbar (KOR bushings), JKS HD tie rod (MOOG problem solver Ends), JKS HD drag link (Moog Probel solver Ends), 4.56 Yukon ring and pinion, Moog HD SSD107 Steering Stabilizer, IRO Front drive shaft conversion, Stillen slotted rotors all around with Stillen brake pads, IRO adjustable A-Arm, 3" all the way Kolak Exhaust with High flow Magnaflow Cat. Converter and Flowmaster Super 50 Muffler, 285/70R17 AT Kumho (33") on 17" BlackWheel rims 909B, K&N Cold air intake, Four nozzles Bosch injectors, and Flashpaq 3780.

03' 4.7 H.O WJ 3" lifted, OME HD with 0.5" Coil spacers and Bilstien 5100 shocks all around, JKS adjustable Trackbar (KOR bushings), Moog Problem solver TRE's, IRO Front drive shaft conversion, IRO adjustable A-Arm, High flow magnaflow mini cats, high flow magnaflow cat, Flowmaster Super 44 muffler, 265/65R17 AT Yokohama on 17" Rays rims, and Flashpaq 3780
veiri86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2013, 08:49 PM   #20
FFuries
1996 ZJ 

Was out shopping all day with the family, just tried the key test to pull the codes. No stored codes, flashes "Done" as soon as the cycle is finished.
4.0 L
Unread 11-29-2013, 08:51 PM   #21
FFuries
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolimitssjca View Post
Given that the Battery and Starter have tested ok that leaves just the connection between them. I would suggest taking the second battery and connecting a new cable to the starter as a test. The should rule in or out the existing wire.
Still need to give this a try.
4.0 L
Unread 12-06-2013, 11:56 AM   #22
n9ljx
2004 WJ 

Any Update?

My 2004 4.0l did this 1.5 months ago. Turn key, single click, then nothing. After 20 minutes of looking and scratching my head and convincing my mother-in-law that it indeed had plenty of gas it started. 2 weeks ago, same thing. This time I whacked the starter from the top with a long breaker bar and it started. Today, same thing but no amount of pounding will get it to go. HOWEVER - when it failed today it did begin to turn over and then went to the one click. I think I have a 'bad spot' in the starter (old blazer used to do the same thing) but if there is something easier to try than starter replacement I am all for it. Today it was colder than it has been for a few weeks, if that makes a difference.

--sas
n9ljx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2013, 10:52 PM   #23
leaf001
2002 WJ 

I'm having the exact same issue. Put in a brand new battery and the intermittent problem still exists.

It's been happening on and off for about a year. It's been pretty chilly out, not sure if that is a contributing factor or not.
leaf001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2013, 04:23 AM   #24
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

The contacts in the starter need replaced. They have a life cycle. After so many starts he contacts are worn enough they won't touch properly.

So, you have two options. Replace the contacts. They run around 20 or less dollars. Or get another starter.
86cj74.2L is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.