Jeep Won't Start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Jeep Won't Start

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 11-23-2013, 11:35 AM   #1
FFuries
1996 ZJ 

Jeep Won't Start

2000 Jeep WJ, when trying to start it, single click and that's it. Lights all work, along with the CD/radio when trying to start it. No sounds of it wanting to start in anyway.

Had battery tested: Tested good
Had starter tested: Tested good

Put it all back together started three times and now won't start again. Thinking starter but wanting opinions.

4.0 L
Stock 2000 Jeep WJ Laredo
4.7, Loaded W/ Every Option Available
FFuries is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2013, 12:08 PM   #2
bradywgn71
2002 WJ 

Might be a bad relay (#30). Try swapping it with another one in the underhood junction box.

Unread 11-23-2013, 12:52 PM   #3
FFuries
1996 ZJ 

Just tried the relay suggestion with no luck. Same symptoms as before.
4.0 L
Unread 11-23-2013, 01:12 PM   #4
michiganmaveric
Got Beer?

2011 JK Wrangler 

You said you had the battery tested, was it removed from the jeep and did you make sure the terminals were clean? This is a classic indication of dirty terminals/bad grounds. It takes a lot of amperage to turn the starter but very little to run the lights/radio ECT.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, how do you have time to do it over.

Lifetime member #13

www.militaryjeepers.com lifetime member/airforce26yrs

2011 Tango/Mango JKU
michiganmaveric is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2013, 01:24 PM   #5
FFuries
1996 ZJ 

Battery removed for testing, terminals are extremely clean (IE no fuzz growing and no white build-up anywhere). Maybe looking at bad battery cables?
4.0 L
Unread 11-23-2013, 04:08 PM   #6
michiganmaveric
Got Beer?

2011 JK Wrangler 

Could be cables, but check the ground cable where it goes to the frame/motor for cleanliness. Also take off the Positive cable and take some sand paper to the battery post and the inside of the cable connector. Just because there is no fuzz/white stuff doesn't mean they are clean. My tractor battery cable looks clean, but about every 6 months I have to take the Positive terminal off and clean it because it won't start.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, how do you have time to do it over.

Lifetime member #13

2011 Tango/Mango JKU
Unread 11-26-2013, 06:24 PM   #7
FFuries
1996 ZJ 

Sand paper taken to battery terminals, and battery cable ends, with the same outcome.
4.0 L
Unread 11-26-2013, 08:40 PM   #8
new2site
2002 WJ 

Me and another WJ owner had battery cables that were CAKED INSIDE with corrosion the last couple inches leading up to the terminals (it's stranded wiring inside) - You might want to get some replacement terminal ends and jump into cutting your terminals off to see if you have the same problem...have some baking soda and wire brush ready too for cleaning.
As you know our WJ's have dual cables to each terminal so you'll want some terminals like these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Earthquake-S...item232fdaa852

Might have to jerry-rig something with standard terminals until these show up in mail.
new2site is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2013, 09:07 PM   #9
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFuries View Post
2000 Jeep WJ, when trying to start it, single click and that's it. Lights all work, along with the CD/radio when trying to start it. No sounds of it wanting to start in anyway. Had battery tested: Tested good Had starter tested: Tested good Put it all back together started three times and now won't start again. Thinking starter but wanting opinions.
Did they load test it? Many threads on here start with "had battery tested and it was good" then later turned out to be a bad battery. These WJ's are very power sensitive and need all the power they can get when starting. Clean terminals, clean posts.

Sent from my iPad using my fingers
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2013, 05:56 AM   #10
marcall
2004 WJ 

single click sounds like a starter. Have someone turn it to crank and hold it while you hit the starter body with a hammer and see if it starts.
marcall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2013, 08:56 AM   #11
LarryDallas
2001 WJ 

Having this same issue the past few days. Need to chase down the problem. Let us know if you find the culprit. I am not getting the 'click' sound, so I really don't think it is a bad starter. It either fires right up or get all lights but no crank at all, which makes me think it is a power issue. I got a new battery six months ago (old one had lasted like 7+ years) so I doubt that is the culprit. I will check my ground straps and maybe replace the battery terminals first.
Unread 11-28-2013, 09:43 AM   #12
new2site
2002 WJ 

update?
new2site is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2013, 04:09 PM   #13
FFuries
1996 ZJ 

Battery has been load tested and passed. Swapped the batteries around in both Jeeps with the same result in the WJ still. IE Both batteries work in the ZJ (Both have passed load testing) but will not work in the WJ.

Cables have been cleaned, checked, all connections cleaned and check, relay tested.
4.0 L
Unread 11-28-2013, 05:31 PM   #14
michiganmaveric
Got Beer?

2011 JK Wrangler 

Will it start if you jump it? If so I would probably change the cables at this point.

Lifetime member #13

2011 Tango/Mango JKU
Unread 11-28-2013, 05:35 PM   #15
FFuries
1996 ZJ 

Did not start the other day when trying to jump start it.
4.0 L

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.