Jeep wont idle after battery went dead. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Jeep wont idle after battery went dead.

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wHalloween Savings to die for!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 04-30-2012, 11:42 AM   #16
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Add me to the list of "WJ won't idle after dead battery" - had to keep my foot down to keep it alive, eventually it stabilized, then I went and drove for an hour.

billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2012, 02:41 PM   #17
cuttysark

battery..

also, make sure your terminals and posts are cleaned 200%...
cuttysark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2013, 11:12 AM   #18
MiCrOz

Bumping this because I've been having the same problem for a while now. New battery, new terminals, new TPS, still won't idle after battery dies, forcing me to gas+brake to keep it from dying, until the computer adjusts. I'm trying to find the underlying problem that is causing the stall so that I don't need to wait until the computer tunes the problem out. Any suggestions?
MiCrOz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2013, 01:13 PM   #19
filipm
2002 WJ 

Same thing actually happened to me for the first time yesterday as well. Ordered a new IAC and going to pick a new battery, interstate, tomorrow. Hopefully that'll take care of things.
Unread 01-13-2013, 08:56 AM   #20
rkperry1
2001 WJ 

Mine auctually fixed its self after driving for about an hour or so on the highway
Unread 01-13-2013, 09:10 AM   #21
soulsurvives

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiCrOz View Post
Bumping this because I've been having the same problem for a while now. New battery, new terminals, new TPS, still won't idle after battery dies, forcing me to gas+brake to keep it from dying, until the computer adjusts. I'm trying to find the underlying problem that is causing the stall so that I don't need to wait until the computer tunes the problem out. Any suggestions?
the way you write this is like the battery is going dead often.....perhaps you need to find out why the battery keeps going dead....maybe that will help....maybe a little more expplanation will help.....
soulsurvives is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2013, 10:54 PM   #22
allyn_cj
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Go to your dealership and see about a PCM reflash (or check to see if your PVC valve is drawing in your oil thing that will cause some unequal pressure in the intake causing lack of o2 in the chamber you can do this while the jeep is idleing and open your oil fill cap and put your finger over the little hole halfway down closest to the battery inside the filler and if it sucks your finger right to it your good if its little get a new one its like 15 bucks) i had some problems with my 00 wj and that solved them rough idle low idle and stalling at stop lights etc...
and wjs do run poor with a bad battery that fuel pump on these things draws ALOT of juice and if its to low the computer will enter "limp mode" low fuel pressure and power conservation etc...
allyn_cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2013, 11:43 PM   #23
new2site
2002 WJ 

Do you guys realize that you were just helping the governor of Texas and 2012 Presidential candidate Rick Perry ?!?
Apparently not. I guess the Michigan address is his summer home.

That's cool to know he drives a WJ.

new2site is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2013, 08:29 PM   #24
kmanster

fantastic recommendation. have a 2003 wrangler with dead battery. followed your advice and Bam it idles. Thanks.
kmanster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2013, 08:31 PM   #25
kmanster

Quote:
Originally Posted by the88thpianoman View Post
This IS your problem/solution:

When the battery died, your computer reset. When you jumped it, it wouldn't start right away, so you pressed the gas pedal to coax it to start. In doing so, the computer learned the incorrect throttle position for idle. To fix this, disconnect the battery for at least a half hour to reset the computer again. When you start the Jeep back up, turn it to the on position, but not start, to prime the fuel system. After sitting in the on position for three seconds, turn the key over to start and it will fire right up, and DO NOT touch the gas pedal. Let it idle for a few seconds before doing anything, and the computer will learn the correct idle parameters.
Fantastic recommendation. Fixed computer after dead battery. Thanks.
kmanster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2013, 09:27 PM   #26
poisoness
2001 WJ 

dead battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkperry1 View Post
Was putting on my long arms today and left my doors open and my battery died. went to go jump the car and it didnt want to start and stay started. finally got it stated by having the pedal down. after it would contatnly stall. would have to feather the pedal to keep it alive. got to to stay around 450 rpm idle in park which is really low??? what would cause this after a dead battery?

Something in engine bay is ticking or hissing possiblly? IAC??
drive the car for 20 miles so computer relearns idle.
poisoness is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2013, 09:30 PM   #27
poisoness
2001 WJ 

dead battery

Quote:
find the short that is draining your battery.
poisoness is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2014, 05:24 AM   #28
RussT1
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the88thpianoman View Post
This IS your problem/solution:

When the battery died, your computer reset. When you jumped it, it wouldn't start right away, so you pressed the gas pedal to coax it to start. In doing so, the computer learned the incorrect throttle position for idle. To fix this, disconnect the battery for at least a half hour to reset the computer again. When you start the Jeep back up, turn it to the on position, but not start, to prime the fuel system. After sitting in the on position for three seconds, turn the key over to start and it will fire right up, and DO NOT touch the gas pedal. Let it idle for a few seconds before doing anything, and the computer will learn the correct idle parameters.

I had the same issue, This worked perfectly. Thank you!! Love these forums.
RussT1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.