Jeep wont idle after battery went dead. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Jeep wont idle after battery went dead.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 04-27-2012, 09:59 PM   #1
rkperry1
2001 WJ 

Jeep wont idle after battery went dead.

Was putting on my long arms today and left my doors open and my battery died. went to go jump the car and it didnt want to start and stay started. finally got it stated by having the pedal down. after it would contatnly stall. would have to feather the pedal to keep it alive. got to to stay around 450 rpm idle in park which is really low??? what would cause this after a dead battery?

Something in engine bay is ticking or hissing possiblly? IAC??

Unread 04-27-2012, 10:09 PM   #2
WJlover
1999 WJ 

my first guess, throttle position sensor?
my zj had a tick and a similar issue, TPS was my issue.

or maybe timing. a 240sx i had did this. started and ran fine (although like ****, but it started) and then one day the battery died, and it wouldnt start anymore. turned out my timing was off an *** ton. along with other issues but thats another story.
WJlover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2012, 10:12 PM   #3
HVACNY
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkperry1
Was putting on my long arms today and left my doors open and my battery died. went to go jump the car and it didnt want to start and stay started. finally got it stated by having the pedal down. after it would contatnly stall. would have to feather the pedal to keep it alive. got to to stay around 450 rpm idle in park which is really low??? what would cause this after a dead battery?

Something in engine bay is ticking or hissing possiblly? IAC??
There is a vacuum line under the battery tray that breaks easily,has caused alot of problems for alot of people.Not sure if thats your problem,but its worth a look to see if you broke it.
HVACNY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2012, 11:31 PM   #4
StrokedWJ
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

If the battery was dead, it will take some time to fully recharge it. You need to drive it for a while to let the alternator charge the battery back up. Probably a good idea to get your battery tested if its more than a few years old. The WJ's can start acting real funky when the battery gets low on juice.

Click this -->Think you can beat me?
StrokedWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2012, 11:37 PM   #5
the88thpianoman
2003 WJ 

This IS your problem/solution:

When the battery died, your computer reset. When you jumped it, it wouldn't start right away, so you pressed the gas pedal to coax it to start. In doing so, the computer learned the incorrect throttle position for idle. To fix this, disconnect the battery for at least a half hour to reset the computer again. When you start the Jeep back up, turn it to the on position, but not start, to prime the fuel system. After sitting in the on position for three seconds, turn the key over to start and it will fire right up, and DO NOT touch the gas pedal. Let it idle for a few seconds before doing anything, and the computer will learn the correct idle parameters.
2003 WJ in Jeep Green Metallic, 4.0/242/4.10's. 4" Teraflex springs w/ RE monotube shocks and IRO short arms, cheap intake w/ amsoil filter, 2.5" hi flow cat and back exhaust, lots of lights and other misc crap.

Check out my build thread here: Life lessons and budget build
the88thpianoman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2012, 01:34 AM   #6
deanlad1980
2001 WJ 

Save your time I promise you that you need a new battery that is all
Had this on 3 jeeps so talking from experience, your battery shouldn't really die from leaving door open unless is ****ed in the first place.
I'm not trying to be a know all but don't waste your time doing anything else just change the battery.
deanlad1980 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2012, 02:02 AM   #7
pinky2252s
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the88thpianoman

When the battery died, your computer reset. When you jumped it, it wouldn't start right away, so you pressed the gas pedal to coax it to start. In doing so, the computer learned the incorrect throttle position for idle. To fix this, disconnect the battery for at least a half hour to reset the computer again. When you start the Jeep back up, turn it to the on position, but not start, to prime the fuel system. After sitting in the on position for three seconds, turn the key over to start and it will fire right up, and DO NOT touch the gas pedal. Let it idle for a few seconds before doing anything, and the computer will learn the correct idle parameters.
I would at least try this first^ since its free.

Colorado Jeep Club Member #2252
2001 Laredo, 2004 Special Edition
pinky2252s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2012, 06:23 AM   #8
rkperry1
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanlad1980 View Post
Save your time I promise you that you need a new battery that is all
Had this on 3 jeeps so talking from experience, your battery shouldn't really die from leaving door open unless is ****ed in the first place.
I'm not trying to be a know all but don't waste your time doing anything else just change the battery.
the car doors and music was going from 7 30 am till 11 at night
Unread 04-28-2012, 06:23 AM   #9
rkperry1
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the88thpianoman View Post

gonna try this first
Unread 04-28-2012, 06:49 AM   #10
rkperry1
2001 WJ 

started it up this morning at it was at 900 for a cold start.. problem fixed for now and i didnt do anything
Unread 04-28-2012, 09:02 AM   #11
HVACNY
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkperry1

the car doors and music was going from 7 30 am till 11 at night
Not for nothing but why didnt you say that in the first place,you made it seem that you just left your door open for a few,then went to jump it.Had you said that that you drained the s**t out of it,then people would have said just jump it or get a new battery,instead of insuating that there was something deeper to the issue.Whats the problem.
HVACNY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2012, 12:27 PM   #12
gtg413i
2003 WJ 

X2 that the system needs to relearn. I had exact same problem after drained battery. Mine never would run for 3 seconds before shutting off, so you may need to drive with two feet for about 15 minutes. As you brake and the jeep starts to stall, give it some gas. Keep the other foot on the brake. Do this for about 10 minutes, then get it up to highway speeds, then you should be fine after that. Be careful driving with two feet at first.
Unread 04-28-2012, 03:58 PM   #13
snobrdrkid07
Mr. WJ

2004 WJ 

Personal Experiences:
1. When I leave my doors open, after 10-15 min the interior lights will go off by themselves (with the doors still open) Maybe you were opening and closing. The Music will kill it though!

2. With a dead battery the WJ does not like to work, at all. When mine was dead, I ended up being a new battery and it took the computer a few seconds to "re-learn" the idle settings. It bogged then came back up and the leveled out.

3. When I had initially tried to recharge my "dead" battery. I also hit the gas to keep it from dying, around 1500 rpms. While I had just started it. Then when I let off, it went back down to the correct idle. I personally did not have an issue with improper idle when I just reset the battery, and cranked it for the first time.
~ 04 WJ 4.0 | Selec-Trac 242 | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Metal Matrix Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Projectors w/ 55w HID H1 5000K Lows | Sylvania Ultra 9005 Fogs | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon Radio | Memphis Speakers | Alpine Amps | Alpine Subs | Moog STB SS | Superchips Flashpaq | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars ~

~ Snobrdrkid's "Build" Thread ~ YouTube Channel ~ Fuelly ~WJ 4.0 Transmission Cooler Info ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | 2" Spacer Lift | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

-Michael-

For Sale:
Front XJ/TJ 2" Budget Boost. PM for details.
snobrdrkid07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2012, 08:00 AM   #14
jerrybud

I'm having the same issue with my 2001 GC -- won't idle for anything! Tried disconnecting the battery and resetting the computer, and it idled fine in the driveway for 30 minutes or so. When I restarted it later it was back to idling at 450 or so, then it would just stall out. It drives fine down the road, but when I come to a stop I have to "drive with two feet". Replaced the TPS about a month ago (due to another issue), and I've never had issues with the battery, but it is almost 5 years old... should I replace it, or is it something else?
jerrybud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2012, 11:35 AM   #15
the88thpianoman
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrybud View Post
I'm having the same issue with my 2001 GC -- won't idle for anything! Tried disconnecting the battery and resetting the computer, and it idled fine in the driveway for 30 minutes or so. When I restarted it later it was back to idling at 450 or so, then it would just stall out. It drives fine down the road, but when I come to a stop I have to "drive with two feet". Replaced the TPS about a month ago (due to another issue), and I've never had issues with the battery, but it is almost 5 years old... should I replace it, or is it something else?
Have the battery checked; it could likely be your problem. If your TPS wasn't from the dealership, that could also be a problem. Your throttle body probably also needs cleaning and you may need a new idle air control motor.
2003 WJ in Jeep Green Metallic, 4.0/242/4.10's. 4" Teraflex springs w/ RE monotube shocks and IRO short arms, cheap intake w/ amsoil filter, 2.5" hi flow cat and back exhaust, lots of lights and other misc crap.

Check out my build thread here: Life lessons and budget build
the88thpianoman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.