Jeep WJ V8 (4.7L) Replacing passenger size valve cover gasket - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Jeep WJ V8 (4.7L) Replacing passenger size valve cover gasket

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 06-19-2013, 03:55 PM   #1
stewy_22
2001 WJ 

Jeep WJ V8 (4.7L) Replacing passenger size valve cover gasket

I am trying to replace the passenger side valve cover gasket on my Jeep WJ 4.7 and noticed that there is a black bracket fastened to the valve cover bolts which holds the heater hoses a safe distance away from the valve cover. Does anyone have any experience in removing this black bracket? I tend to break anything that is plastic (don't even ask me about the fuel injector connectors!) and am trying to keep myself from breaking this bracket while taking it off.

Any tips / help would be much appreciated!

stewy_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 05:35 PM   #2
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

It just slides on and off a stud.

Some of the bolts that hold the valve cover on are studs to hold these little brackets.

Its uncommon that you would need a valve cover gasket. The factory gasket is rubber and it sits in a groove on the valve cover.

Was the valve cover off recently?
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 06:11 PM   #3
pinky2252s
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
It just slides on and off a stud.

Some of the bolts that hold the valve cover on are studs to hold these little brackets.

Its uncommon that you would need a valve cover gasket. The factory gasket is rubber and it sits in a groove on the valve cover.

Was the valve cover off recently?
For reference, my engine is the same age as his and both valve covers on mine leak slightly. It's not as uncommon as you might think!

Colorado Jeep Club Member #2252
2001 Laredo, 2004 Special Edition
pinky2252s is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 06:23 PM   #4
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky2252s View Post
For reference, my engine is the same age as his and bolt valve covers on mine leak slightly. It's not as uncommon as you might think!
Maybe uncommon was a poor choice of words there, thanks for clarifying that.

What I should have said was leaks are sometimes caused by the gasket rolling out of the groove when the valve cover is reinstalled.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 06:17 AM   #5
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

Mine weeps a bit also, but not enough to go after at this point.
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 02:27 PM   #6
stewy_22
2001 WJ 

Thanks - I know that bracket just slides on the two studs holding the valve cover on but it seems stuck on there pretty good and I always end up breaking plastic on my engine. I'll pry at it a bit more and keep my fingers crossed that it doesn't break while getting it off.

I felt the same way about the valve cover gaskets....I was expecting a lot more mileage from them. When I removed the drivers side, the gasket had hardened (like plastic) right at the area where it was leaking oil. I've been running full synthetic (Mobile 1 10-40) since day one since I am the original owner and am a bit paranoid that the synthetic oil is hardening all the seals and gaskets. I heard that this used to happen way back when synthetic oil was introduced, but I had thought it was no longer a problem. Would be interesting to hear if the other folks that have leaking valve cover gaskets also use a lot of synthetic.

I'm trying to plug up these obvious leaks to make sure there are no other leaks going on...got oil dripping between where the transmission and engine meet up and am really hoping it is just dripping down from the valve cover gaskets and that it is not a bad rear seal.
stewy_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 03:56 PM   #7
heitzman
2002 WJ 

Use something long, I used one of them orange handled pry bars. Remove the hoses from the bracket and get under it and gently pry up on it. The passenger side is much more difficult than the drivers side. Take your battery out and move your accumulator out of the way, but be careful not to bend your a/c lines to much. Mine cracked because they were old and brittle.
heitzman is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.