Jeep WJ 247-242HD Swap - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Jeep WJ 247-242HD Swap

Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Artec Holiday Sale!

Reply
Unread 03-10-2011, 08:44 PM   #106
narnwv
Moderator
 
narnwv's Avatar
2000 WJ 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Cross Lanes, WV
Posts: 6,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaJeepman21 View Post
Alright well this is just the most consfusing stuff out there. So let me get this straight. If I had a '02 V8 Grand Cherokee with a 247 all I need to get is a TC out of a 242 V8 Grand Cherokee...or just buy one from Mopar? After I had that everything should hook right up? Thanks
negative. If you bought a V8 242, you'll still need a new rear drive shaft, as the output of the 242 has more splines than the 247.

__________________
~Aaron

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2011, 08:51 PM   #107
BamaJeepman21
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Huntsville, Alabama
Posts: 4,006
So all I would have to get would be a 242 TC and a new rear DS?
BamaJeepman21 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2011, 08:52 PM   #108
narnwv
Moderator
 
narnwv's Avatar
2000 WJ 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Cross Lanes, WV
Posts: 6,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaJeepman21 View Post
So all I would have to get would be a 242 TC and a new rear DS?
A V8 242 TC and it's rear DS and It's plug and play.
__________________
~Aaron

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2011, 08:41 PM   #109
kuulnor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: richmond hill, ont
Posts: 5
v8 and l6 242nv transfer case

I have a 2000 wj l6 with a 247 and found a 242nv tc and ds out of a 99 wj 4.7. Was wondering if this would be plug and play swap?
thanks great site
kuulnor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2011, 11:44 AM   #110
BamaJeepman21
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Huntsville, Alabama
Posts: 4,006
You would need a DS and TC out of a I6. The V8 TC and DS won't work.
BamaJeepman21 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2011, 01:27 PM   #111
Bama_WJ
Registered User
2001 WJ 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Owens Cross Roads, AL
Posts: 3,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaJeepman21 View Post
You would need a DS and TC out of a I6. The V8 TC and DS won't work.
Uh, yes they will. Might need to switch input shaft, but they will bolt up. The driveshaft will work as well. I'm running a V8 driveshaft on my I6.
__________________
Daniel
1 Ton WJ Build In Progress

The Daily: 2011 Chevy Cruze Eco - Trifecta tuned and 37+ MPG

Wife's Jeep: 2006 WK Overland - OME HD Lift, 265/70/17 BFG AT's, 1.25" SpiderTrax wheel spacers, 3" Gibson Cat-Back

North Alabama Jeep
42RE Vent Mod - Seal your transmission!
YouTube. - My Video Channel
Facebook - Wheeling Pictures/Videos
The Jeep Wave. Bringing it back.
Bama_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2011, 01:15 AM   #112
BADWJ77
Registered User
1999 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: machesney park IL, Illinois
Posts: 12
how do you go about switching the input shaft my case is ready to go in got new seals and new studs, they were bent, i got the np 242 from an 02 I6WJ for 100$ with 66k miles on it
BADWJ77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2011, 10:19 AM   #113
kuulnor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: richmond hill, ont
Posts: 5
Thanks

Thanks for the reply. I didn't think the rear ds would be the same length. Gotta go back now and get it. Thanks again
Kuulnor
kuulnor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2011, 02:49 AM   #114
markmacak
Registered User
2004 WJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Indy area, IN
Posts: 28
Wj can u tell me how to get the select track sticker pls

please email me at markmacak@ymail.com im converting my jeep to the np242hd can u tell me where i can get one of the select track decals thanks!!!!ur post was very helpful to i appreciate this article u wrote
markmacak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2011, 09:40 PM   #115
middleofnowhere
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Underwood, ND
Posts: 2
The more I read...

Ok... so I've read every page of this post and am officially more confused than when I started. I have a 00 JGC with 4.0 I6 and a NV 247 TC (from what I understand this is uncommon). What is the "easiest" swap for me? I would love to convert to selec-trac but if that's not the easiest and cheapest then I will do whatever but I need to know what's the best for me both pricewise and the ease of swapping it. I'm thinking the 242j swap would be easiest but after reading things I'm not even sure that's an option anymore because of all of the contradicting info out there.

I'd prefer not to go with a used and overpriced POS 247 since that's gonna run me about 1200 bucks here in ND with labor.

So which option would you guys go with... the 242j swap or is the 242HD best or is that even an option... and if there is a third option for me what is it? And which ones require different DSs for my situation with the NV247 and an I6 jeep.

Sorry if I'm reposting any old questions but the more I read this 247/242/242j/242HD/231 etc. stuff the more I'm getting lost!
middleofnowhere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2011, 07:03 AM   #116
narnwv
Moderator
 
narnwv's Avatar
2000 WJ 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Cross Lanes, WV
Posts: 6,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by middleofnowhere View Post
Ok... so I've read every page of this post and am officially more confused than when I started. I have a 00 JGC with 4.0 I6 and a NV 247 TC (from what I understand this is uncommon). What is the "easiest" swap for me? I would love to convert to selec-trac but if that's not the easiest and cheapest then I will do whatever but I need to know what's the best for me both pricewise and the ease of swapping it. I'm thinking the 242j swap would be easiest but after reading things I'm not even sure that's an option anymore because of all of the contradicting info out there.

I'd prefer not to go with a used and overpriced POS 247 since that's gonna run me about 1200 bucks here in ND with labor.

So which option would you guys go with... the 242j swap or is the 242HD best or is that even an option... and if there is a third option for me what is it? And which ones require different DSs for my situation with the NV247 and an I6 jeep.

Sorry if I'm reposting any old questions but the more I read this 247/242/242j/242HD/231 etc. stuff the more I'm getting lost!
a 242wj from a 4.0 and it's rear driveshaft SHOULD be all you'd need. That's the cheapest route.
__________________
~Aaron

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2011, 01:58 PM   #117
cloiselle
Registered User
2001 WJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Kankakee, IL
Posts: 717
first off, thanks for the helpful write and up and info throughout this thread. much appreciated with my recently failed 247.

where is the best? ( most reliable , used , cheapest ) place to source an HD and matching rear DS from?

online retailer or whatever... IDC. I just want 4 wheel drive again
cloiselle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2011, 12:21 AM   #118
silvbullit
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New Gloucester, ME
Posts: 1
I just read all the pages, I have searched all over every swap and driveshaft thread I could find. I have a firm grasp of what I need to purchase/do but one question remains. I have a 99 GC 4.7 with the 247 and the chain is stretched and skipping so I am doing the swap with the 242hd.

Everything makes sense to me except that my front driveshaft is the 6-bolt CV-style shaft at both ends! I would use my front driveshaft and just swap the yoke on the TC but the front driveshaft is spent so I might as well swap it to a U-joint shaft. I see that most swap threads have a u-joint for the connection to the front axle, so mine seems uncommon. What should I do? I will not be lifting this Jeep by the way. Thanks in advance.
silvbullit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2011, 12:33 AM   #119
narnwv
Moderator
 
narnwv's Avatar
2000 WJ 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Cross Lanes, WV
Posts: 6,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvbullit View Post
Everything makes sense to me except that my front driveshaft is the 6-bolt CV-style shaft at both ends! I would use my front driveshaft and just swap the yoke on the TC but the front driveshaft is spent so I might as well swap it to a U-joint shaft. I see that most swap threads have a u-joint for the connection to the front axle, so mine seems uncommon. What should I do? I will not be lifting this Jeep by the way. Thanks in advance.
Mine has the 6-bolt CV yoke. The case I got had the same yoke.

If you're swapping to a u-joint shaft anyway, then I'd go ahead and swap the tcase, then find a factory u-joint shaft+axle yoke if you can.
__________________
~Aaron

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2011, 12:46 AM   #120
markmacak
Registered User
2004 WJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Indy area, IN
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvbullit View Post
I just read all the pages, I have searched all over every swap and driveshaft thread I could find. I have a firm grasp of what I need to purchase/do but one question remains. I have a 99 GC 4.7 with the 247 and the chain is stretched and skipping so I am doing the swap with the 242hd.

Everything makes sense to me except that my front driveshaft is the 6-bolt CV-style shaft at both ends! I would use my front driveshaft and just swap the yoke on the TC but the front driveshaft is spent so I might as well swap it to a U-joint shaft. I see that most swap threads have a u-joint for the connection to the front axle, so mine seems uncommon. What should I do? I will not be lifting this Jeep by the way. Thanks in advance.
use a stock driveshaft u get the transfer case from they should have one if not ive got one that will work for u ill sell it for 75.00 plus shipping good drive shaft u have the dana 30 axle in front correct?....they usuall go fo 100.00 ill send it to u for 90.00 has good u joints in it
markmacak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.