Jeep WJ 247-242HD Swap - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Jeep WJ 247-242HD Swap

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 01-29-2011, 09:37 AM   #91
mmandel
2002 WJ 

hey,

has anyone done the same swap (247->242) on a 2.7 CRD with Mercedes A/T?

i'm in desperate need for a proper trancfer case ...

thanks,
Mait

mmandel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2011, 11:48 AM   #92
KillaKeys17
2004 WJ 

Hey guys this maybe a dumb question, but why would you want to swap out the tc's anyway? Is it just for the shift on the fly ability? I had an 02 v8 that had the 242 and it was fun to put in in 2wheel to mess around in the snow but other then that what are some other reasons? Thanks
KillaKeys17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2011, 01:00 PM   #93
mmandel
2002 WJ 

hey,

'coz the 247 has only 2 modes:
- 4wd part time low - front axle locked on + low gear. only usable in deep sh*t. not usable on dry/hard surface.
- 4wd full time automatic - front axle is engaged when rear wheels slip.
unfortunately (at least in my case) it engages rather late and is generally unpredictable

i'm missing the '4wd full time' - both axles engaged with open diff.

also the '2wd' would also be nice to increase mileage.

Mait
Unread 02-01-2011, 02:33 PM   #94
csunday
1999 WJ 

Wj

I have a '99 grand cherokee (WJ) and want to put in just a standard NP242 (select track) in, will it work? I have a V8 WJ with a 6.5" long arm lift. After the install I am putting custom drivelines in so that shouldn't be a problem. Can anyone offer suggestions.

Thanks
Chris
csunday is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2011, 03:05 PM   #95
ezflip
NEWS FLASH It snows in MI

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmandel View Post
hey,

'coz the 247 has only 2 modes:
- 4wd part time low - front axle locked on + low gear. only usable in deep sh*t. not usable on dry/hard surface.
- 4wd full time automatic - front axle is engaged when rear wheels slip.
unfortunately (at least in my case) it engages rather late and is generally unpredictable

i'm missing the '4wd full time' - both axles engaged with open diff.

also the '2wd' would also be nice to increase mileage.

Mait
Putting it in 2wd does absolutely nothing to your gas mileage since these are not manual locking hubs. Everything in the driveline is always connected and always turning creating friction. In 2wd, the TC just doesnt send any torque to the front, but it is all still turning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csunday View Post
I have a '99 grand cherokee (WJ) and want to put in just a standard NP242 (select track) in, will it work? I have a V8 WJ with a 6.5" long arm lift. After the install I am putting custom drivelines in so that shouldn't be a problem. Can anyone offer suggestions.

Thanks
Chris
Dude, you just posted in a thread where all of the info you seek is located. Read the thread before you post in it.

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread

ezflip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2011, 03:19 PM   #96
csunday
1999 WJ 

My bad I clicked post on the page before and didn't see this stuff. Thanks.
Unread 02-01-2011, 05:39 PM   #97
Mud_Crazy
2002 WJ 

ok so i was wondering about the d/s being 2in shorter with the 242. Dosen't that increase the angle of the shaft quiet a bit? also since i will, hopefully soon, be getting my 6" lift installed and already plan on swaping the t-case (when i can find one cheaper then 350$). would the sye that tom woods sells for the 242 (comes with a d/s) be a good idea in yalls opinion? or do yall think that the t-case and shorter drive shaft will be ok with a 6" lift?
SILVER&BLACK 02 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE 4.7L V8 HO, Clayton 6" liftT w/ Bilstien 5100's and 2in pucks , 37X12.5 Nitto Trail Grappler M/T's on red and black Creeper Locks, front and back Dana 60 w/ ARB lockers, Chromolly shafts and 5.13 gears, ARB compressor, Flowmaster 50 exhuast, K&N FIPK, IRO front bumper and flares, and Cobra 29NW with firestick antenna.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/backdoor_artist-first-ever-jeep-build-1167659/index7.html#post12830094"]Build Thread[/URL]
Mud_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2011, 06:07 PM   #98
kmd1776
2004 WJ 

well i did this swap because i wanted 4hi lockout... dont get that with the 247.
04 wj limited; 4.7L V8, 247> 242hd swap; Hayden auxillary tranny cooler; BFG All Terrain 245/70/17; Moog Up-Country Coil Springs; Monroe Reflex Monotube Shocks; JKS BPE's; Chrome Overland tow hooks; Dynomax Ultraflow catback
kmd1776 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2011, 03:00 AM   #99
mmandel
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezflip View Post
Putting it in 2wd does absolutely nothing to your gas mileage since these are not manual locking hubs. Everything in the driveline is always connected and always turning creating friction. In 2wd, the TC just doesnt send any torque to the front, but it is all still turning.
unfortunately you are very correct ...
Unread 02-05-2011, 08:59 AM   #100
kmarkol
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillaKeys17 View Post
Hey guys this maybe a dumb question, but why would you want to swap out the tc's anyway? Is it just for the shift on the fly ability? I had an 02 v8 that had the 242 and it was fun to put in in 2wheel to mess around in the snow but other then that what are some other reasons? Thanks
Also, the 247 isn't always the most durable transfer case and a lot of us out there with the 247 have two modes of operation: 2WD and 4LO.....
kmarkol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2011, 07:34 PM   #101
Mud_Crazy
2002 WJ 

Alright well i found a guy that will sell me his 242 for CHEAP!!! It is a 242J with the aluminum tail cone, but it also has a mechanical gear for the speedo. i believe its out of a ZJ? i no i would probably have to change the output shaft. but im wondering if it will mate up with the V8"s tranny?
SILVER&BLACK 02 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE 4.7L V8 HO, Clayton 6" liftT w/ Bilstien 5100's and 2in pucks , 37X12.5 Nitto Trail Grappler M/T's on red and black Creeper Locks, front and back Dana 60 w/ ARB lockers, Chromolly shafts and 5.13 gears, ARB compressor, Flowmaster 50 exhuast, K&N FIPK, IRO front bumper and flares, and Cobra 29NW with firestick antenna.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/backdoor_artist-first-ever-jeep-build-1167659/index7.html#post12830094"]Build Thread[/URL]
Unread 02-07-2011, 08:27 PM   #102
Mud_Crazy
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nierace View Post
Since you have a I6 you don't need a 242HD, in fact if you got a 242HD you would have to swap your input from your 247 over in order to mate it to your transmission.

Go on car-part.com and look for a selec-trac transfercase for a I6, and you should even be able to use your existing drive shaft with that.

If you don't mind losing full-time 4wd and want something tougher you can bolt in a transfercase from a Rubicon.

Here's a list of transfercases, anything that is 23 spline and .840" exposed input will swap directly into your transmission (I think...you'd have to look at the actual input I know some have different colars so you need to be aware of that)

http://www.drivetrain.com/transferca...AND%20CHEROKEE

And a much bigger list:

http://www.drivetrain.com/transfercaseapp.html

Lots of a great info in those links, those should really be in the faq, I guess they are now.

Nevermind found what i was looking for. from what i can tell a ZJ 242J with aluminum tailcone will work. am i write in assuming this or are the input shafts different lengths? and i realize i would have to swap output shafts to the 32. like i said im just unsure about the mechanical speed sensor and input shaft....sheapest 242 ive found is 350, and this guy only wants 100$ fo this. just trying to get yalls input on if it would even work?

EDIT: nevermind, thought i found a cheap 242 but no luck. the ZJ has a linkage and the WJ uses a cable. unless it dosent matter? im calling th eguy tomorrow to see if i want it or not. as of now i dont think it will work, unless someone tells me other wise.

Unread 02-16-2011, 08:20 PM   #103
csunday
1999 WJ 

Quick question: I found a guy that will sell me a 242WJH for $550, before I made the deal I wanted to verify that 242WJH from a 02 WJ GC 4.7L is the same as a 242HD? Can anyone hlep.

I really don't want to make the same mistake again and get the whole thing torn apart to find out I got the wrong tcase.

Thanks
Unread 03-07-2011, 02:14 AM   #104
BADWJ77
1999 WJ 

can you swap the 247 input shaft and then use the same rear dshaft? or do you have to get a donor shaft from a I6 grand cherokee?
BADWJ77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2011, 08:42 PM   #105
BamaJeepman21
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Alright well this is just the most consfusing stuff out there. So let me get this straight. If I had a '02 V8 Grand Cherokee with a 247 all I need to get is a TC out of a 242 V8 Grand Cherokee...or just buy one from Mopar? After I had that everything should hook right up? Thanks
BamaJeepman21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.