Jeep WJ 247-242HD Swap - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Jeep WJ 247-242HD Swap

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 12-25-2010, 10:48 AM   #76
leadsled jeep
2002 WJ 

How long does this modification take to implement? You guys make it sound plug and play and pretty easy.

I wasn't sure, do you have to swap shifter out as well?

Planning ahead for my eventual 242 swap too.

'02 Overland 130k+ miles. 245-70-17 GG AT2's. BDS 2" lift, Bilstein 5100's, JKS QDs. Addco Swaybars F/R. Stillen Front Rotors/ Pads. TRE's, BJ's, wheel bearings. 100% Amsoil. I like my rifles like my coffee, hot, black and continually refilled.
leadsled jeep is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2010, 12:48 PM   #77
WiCkeDuDe
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

I did mine in about 4 hours total.
WiCkeDuDe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2010, 06:32 AM   #78
Chaddy17
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadsled jeep View Post
How long does this modification take to implement? You guys make it sound plug and play and pretty easy.

I wasn't sure, do you have to swap shifter out as well?

Planning ahead for my eventual 242 swap too.
4 hours would be great time, I had more like 6-7 hours. Most say you don't have to switch the shifters, but I decided to do it since It was for my 17 yr. old Son and I also wanted it to look stock.
The shifter swap gave me a little trouble. I had to adjust the cable to get all positions to engage, had about an hour and a half tied up swapping shifters.
Chaddy17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2010, 11:51 AM   #79
robd2003
2002 WJ 

Mine took all day then seals started leaking. Ha. But I was also helping my elder friend restore his autocar. I think I spent 3:5 hours on the jeep though. Not to bad just replace seals while its out for added insurance just my .02
robd2003 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2010, 03:47 PM   #80
leadsled jeep
2002 WJ 

Wow, not too bad really then. SO, it really works to keep the stock QD shifter as well?
'02 Overland 130k+ miles. 245-70-17 GG AT2's. BDS 2" lift, Bilstein 5100's, JKS QDs. Addco Swaybars F/R. Stillen Front Rotors/ Pads. TRE's, BJ's, wheel bearings. 100% Amsoil. I like my rifles like my coffee, hot, black and continually refilled.
leadsled jeep is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2010, 05:00 PM   #81
wj4play
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

Wj

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezflip View Post
Looks like you have a 2" lift currently? You can just swap the front yoke from your current transfer case onto the 242HD and continue using your cv style shaft. If you plan on lifting any higher than that, then you may want to look into converting to a u-joint style front drive shaft.

Also, to someones comment much earlier in the thread about the difference between the 242HD and the 242j, someone else commented that the HD was meant to handle the 4.7 and the 242j could grenade if it were used with a 4.7. That is simply not true. Everything about the two cases is identical except for the input shaft on the HD is slightly longer to accommodate the 5/45rfe transmission output shaft and the HD has an internal slip yoke (simply has a tail cone covering the rear output shaft) as apposed to the external slip yoke (uses a rubber boot to cover the output shaft) on the 242j. There are zero strength differences between the two cases. The internals of both cases are identical. Spline count on the rear output may or may not be different (I cannot confirm this) however, I can confirm that the spline count on the 242j is the same as the 247 that comes with the 4.7's so there are no strength issues with the spline count of the 242j.

BTW, I am working on a write up for swapping the 247 on a 4.7 to a 242j. This will include what steps are needed to perform the swap such as swapping input shaft gears, the main shaft, and the tail cone. I will be doing the swap this weekend. If my calculations are correct, the end result will cost me about $100 for the 242j and I will be able to use my existing rear driveshaft as well as my existing front driveshaft.

The reason I am doing this instead of the direct swap of the 242HD is simply money. The cheapest HD I found was over 100 miles away from me and would cost $400 + $100 for the rear driveshaft to go with it. I can grab 242j's around here all day long for around $100. Since the economy is in the crapper, most people, including myself, cannot afford to dump $500 on a swap like this. So I would rather take a little time and swap parts over and save money rather than have a quick and easy direct swap but have it be more expensive.
The HD unit is stronger. according to http://www.wjjeeps.com/tcases.htm#SELEC
also i think i read that the HD unit has a wider chain.

The geartrain is mounted in two aluminum case halves attached with bolts. The mainshaft front and rear bearings are mounted in aluminum retainer housings bolted to the case halves. Two versions of the NV242 are used in the WJ vehicles, NV242LD and NV242HD. The two transfer cases can be distinguished from one another by the rear output shaft retainer. The NV242LD uses a rubber boot to cover the rear output shaft, while the NV242HD uses a cast aluminum housing.

Operating Modes:

2WD (Sends all power to rear wheels)
4WD High, full-time (Sends power to all wheels)
4WD High, part-time (Locks both front and rear driveshafts for increased traction)
NEUTRAL (Allows vehicle to be towed)
4WD Low, part-time (Doubles the transfer case gear ration for severe road conditions and low-speed pulling power)

Low Range Reduction Ratio: 2.72:1

High Range: 1:1

Center Differential: Open, Planetary with low-range lock

Torque Split: F/R 48/52

Maximum Capacity Torque: 1486 lb.-ft. (LD); 2028 lbs.-ft. (HD)

Weight: 86 Lbs. (LD); 90 lbs (HD)

Oil Fill Capacity: 2.85 pts. (LD); 6.5 pts. (HD) (ATF+4)
Unread 12-28-2010, 05:07 PM   #82
wj4play
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
I'm no expert; you certainly have more experience with the 242 than I...but WJJeeps.com states: Maximum Capacity Torque: 1486 lb.-ft. (LD); 2028 lbs.-ft. (HD) for the 242. Do you have any references that can refute or confirm their (or your) claims of equal strength? I'm not trying to be argumentative, just confused/curious.

The HD unit is stronger. according to http://www.wjjeeps.com/tcases.htm#SELEC
also i think i read that the HD unit has a wider chain.

The geartrain is mounted in two aluminum case halves attached with bolts. The mainshaft front and rear bearings are mounted in aluminum retainer housings bolted to the case halves. Two versions of the NV242 are used in the WJ vehicles, NV242LD and NV242HD. The two transfer cases can be distinguished from one another by the rear output shaft retainer. The NV242LD uses a rubber boot to cover the rear output shaft, while the NV242HD uses a cast aluminum housing.

Operating Modes:

2WD (Sends all power to rear wheels)
4WD High, full-time (Sends power to all wheels)
4WD High, part-time (Locks both front and rear driveshafts for increased traction)
NEUTRAL (Allows vehicle to be towed)
4WD Low, part-time (Doubles the transfer case gear ration for severe road conditions and low-speed pulling power)

Low Range Reduction Ratio: 2.72:1

High Range: 1:1

Center Differential: Open, Planetary with low-range lock

Torque Split: F/R 48/52

Maximum Capacity Torque: 1486 lb.-ft. (LD); 2028 lbs.-ft. (HD)

Weight: 86 Lbs. (LD); 90 lbs (HD)

Oil Fill Capacity: 2.85 pts. (LD); 6.5 pts. (HD) (ATF+4)
Unread 01-02-2011, 04:43 PM   #83
slovik89
1999 WJ 

hey i have a 99 gc i6 with the quadra-drive 247... now my buddy has a 242 from a 99gc i6... i should be able to straight swap them right????
slovik89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2011, 06:01 PM   #84
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slovik89 View Post
hey i have a 99 gc i6 with the quadra-drive 247... now my buddy has a 242 from a 99gc i6... i should be able to straight swap them right????
should be a straight bolt-in swap, yes.

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2011, 10:03 AM   #85
wj4play
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by narnwv View Post
should be a straight bolt-in swap, yes.
Front DS might be an issue.. I don't know, I have never swapped one out.

Anyone Anyone.... Bueller?
Unread 01-03-2011, 10:15 AM   #86
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wj4play View Post
Front DS might be an issue.. I don't know, I have never swapped one out.

Anyone Anyone.... Bueller?
The only issue might be one has a CV joint and one has a U joint, and if that's the case, you just gotta swap TC yokes as well. (still a just a bolt in)

Unread 01-06-2011, 01:42 PM   #87
1STJEEP97TJ
2000 WJ 

Ok so I have a driveshaft question. I'm about to do this swap and heres the scenario. I have a 2000 V8 with a 247 in it now. I've found a 242 out of a 2000 V8 Limited WJ. Will my existing rear driveshaft work since its going from V8 to V8?
1STJEEP97TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2011, 01:47 PM   #88
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1STJEEP97TJ View Post
Ok so I have a driveshaft question. I'm about to do this swap and heres the scenario. I have a 2000 V8 with a 247 in it now. I've found a 242 out of a 2000 V8 Limited WJ. Will my existing rear driveshaft work since its going from V8 to V8?
Count the splines on the REAR output shaft. if it's 32, you'll need another shaft.

Unread 01-06-2011, 01:55 PM   #89
Chaddy17
2000 WJ 

Your existing DS is still gonna be 2" to long, you either need the DS from the donor or have yours cut down at a Machine shop. It has to do with the tailshaft length difference in the 247 and 242.
Chaddy17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2011, 01:54 PM   #90
1STJEEP97TJ
2000 WJ 

Perfect, thanks. I just got the 242 and it does have the 32 spline output so I guess I'll be looking for a donor shaft. If I shortened my current d-shaft and found just a 32 spline yoke, are the V8 u joints the same where I could just swap yokes after shortening the ds?
1STJEEP97TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.