Jeep WJ 247-242HD Swap - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Jeep WJ 247-242HD Swap

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 07-14-2010, 12:09 PM   #61
ezflip

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uticaGC View Post
Nierace,

In my 99 QD I can only shift into 4low when the shifter lever is in Neutral. I'm assuming the BCM locks out the TC shifter from moving if I'm not in Neutral. What happens once the swap is done. Do you have shift on the fly capability or not?
There is nothing electronic stopping it from shifting. It is just really hard to drop it into 4-low while the main shaft has pressure on it. The proper way to shift into 4-low regardless of what transfer case you have is to slow down to about 5-7 mph (NOT STOPPED) shift the tranny into neutral, shift the transfer case into 4-low, then shift the tranny back into drive. With the 242, you can shift on the fly into all modes except 4-low (you should use the procedure above for 4-low)

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread
ezflip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2010, 12:39 PM   #62
uticaGC
1999 WJ 

I am aware of proper shifting techniques. I've had a few command-tracs and a few selec-tracs. I just never owned a QD or QT2 (247) transfer case. I'm trying to deduce whether or not the 242hd swap is as cut and dry as the internet is telling me. I've done enough mechanic work to know that nothing is as easy as it looks/sounds from a description.

I also would like to know what exactly is involved with swapping the front output on the TC so I can keep my CV joint.
uticaGC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2010, 12:44 PM   #63
ezflip

2002 WJ 

You must be at stock ride height? There really is no other reason to keep the CV style shaft. Either way, it is as simple as IIRC a 28mm nut. Remove it (might need a puller to get it off) put the new one on and torque it down.

The TC swap really is as easy as we make it sound. Especially if you do the HD. (Its a little more involved when going to a 242j) The HD is completely "plug and play" if you will. The only other thing you may not have seen in these threads is that you must move the shifter cable to the top hole on the bracket that is attached to the transmission.

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread
Unread 07-14-2010, 12:50 PM   #64
uticaGC
1999 WJ 

OK. I was under the Jeep at lunch at my Uncles shop and I'm starting to believe that it is plug and play. Does the 99 Grand Cherokee have the two hole shifter cable bracket or do I need to find a donor for it? I didn't look when I was under it.

A local yard has a 2002 242hd with 39000 miles on it that I can get for 525. I think I may buy it and just hang on to it until I find a day to swap it.

Yes I'm keeping the stock ride height.
uticaGC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2010, 12:56 PM   #65
ezflip

2002 WJ 

Im not sure what the specifications were for what jeeps came with the two hole bracket and which ones did not. I have an 02 laredo 4.7 and I had the right bracket. But I have seen another 02 laredo 4.7 that didnt have the right bracket. Just get down and look before you pick up the case. If you need the new bracket, just let the junkyard know and they should be able to pull it from the donor of the case. I cant imagine them even charging you for it since you are already dropping $600. If they do, should only be a few $.

Build Thread
Unread 07-15-2010, 09:33 AM   #66
10achik
I ate what?

1999 WJ 

I had to drill the second hole, it was a PITA, but I got it done on a friends drill press. I couldn't find the bracket at a local yard and so I made do.

99 GC Limited - 4.7L HO V8, 6.5" IRO HC LA lift, F&R D44s locked & trussed, 242HD, IRO TC Skid, KMA Bumper, 35's
2006 Saturn Redline -2.0L Eaton supercharged I4, GMPP Stage 2, Custom Tune, AEM CAI, Ebiach Pro Kit w/ swaybars, EVO Ventus V12s (13.76 @ 103.85)
2006 Pontiac G6 GTP
2012 Nissan Juke - (hers)
2000 SV650 - naked, integrated tail light, sliders, corbin, pilot roads, RK chain & sprokets, D&D full exhaust, FactoryPro Stage I jet kit, +4 Ignition Advancer, Barnett race clutch
2006 Triumph America 900 - Full Dresser

January 2009 Grand Cherokee of the Month (GCOTM)
10achik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2010, 09:23 AM   #67
jclaudii
1999 WJ 

Has anyone ever plugged up the 4x4 light to the selector switch on the 242? The reason I ask is I have the harness for my 242 PLUS when I pulled the transmission on my rig with the 247, I noticed a wire that had a dummy plug in the end dangling off the harness going to the transmission...Could it be as simple as just hooking that rear piece of the harness up to the 242? I keep meaning to do it, but I have been fighting other demons with the Jeep. Just seeing if that is it or if it is CAN bus voodoo stuff that takes PCM programming?
jclaudii is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2010, 09:37 AM   #68
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclaudii View Post
Has anyone ever plugged up the 4x4 light to the selector switch on the 242? The reason I ask is I have the harness for my 242 PLUS when I pulled the transmission on my rig with the 247, I noticed a wire that had a dummy plug in the end dangling off the harness going to the transmission...Could it be as simple as just hooking that rear piece of the harness up to the 242? I keep meaning to do it, but I have been fighting other demons with the Jeep. Just seeing if that is it or if it is CAN bus voodoo stuff that takes PCM programming?
It would be that simple, but all you get is a light on the dash that says "PART TIME" when you're in 4hi part time or 4 low.

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2010, 12:56 PM   #69
QuadraTokn
1930 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by narnwv View Post
It would be that simple, but all you get is a light on the dash that says "PART TIME" when you're in 4hi part time or 4 low.
Yea, you just plug it in and it works
QuadraTokn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2010, 08:53 PM   #70
Chaddy17
2000 WJ 

I just completed this swap with my 2000 WJ. I picked up a 242HD and rear DS from a 2003 WJ. I also grabbed the shifter assembly from the 2003.
Why do all the instructions I've seen on this swap never mention removing the cross member where it attaches to the Transmission? I placed a 8"x8" piece of 3/4" plywood betweem the Transmission pan and floor jack to support everything and removed the cross member bolts and the Transmission mount (4 bolts). I was then able to lower eveything enough to access the upper bolts and easily remve the lower bolts.Took me less then ten minutes to remove all 6 bolts from the transfer case.
Just made me wonder why nobody else mentioned doing this considering how hard it is to access the bolts with the mount in place.
Chaddy17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2010, 09:02 PM   #71
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaddy17 View Post
Why do all the instructions I've seen on this swap never mention removing the cross member where it attaches to the Transmission?
I don't know where, but I read that as I did that when i did my swap, and I was still a Jeep newb.

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2010, 04:57 AM   #72
Chaddy17
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by narnwv View Post
I don't know where, but I read that as I did that when i did my swap, and I was still a Jeep newb.
Yeah, I'm pretty much a newb also when it comes to these Jeeps. I bought it last September for my 17 yr. old Son to be his DD.
I think the NV247 had failed before I bought it, didn't know it until our first big snow.
Been planning to do the swap since then. I finally got around to looking for the parts last week, seems to be quite a few 242HD's showing up in the junk yards now.
The only thing I didn't do was change the front CV style DS, I just swapped the output from my 247 onto the 242.
My 247 didn't have the top bolt on the TC installed, I'm pretty sure it came from the Factory that way
Chaddy17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2010, 08:17 PM   #73
BradMB2004

Just got done with my swap, here's my offerings....

- 9/16" stubby 12pt box/open end wrench is a MUST for the top two nuts

- stated earlier is to drop the crossmember 2-3" to make access to the top 2 nuts easier..... after you drop it down 2-3" go ahead and remove the cross member and tranny mount from transmission. Makes getting to the two bottom bolts MUCH easier and give you more overall room to work. Also saves time cussing and throwing wrenches.

- takes just under 2qts of ATF+4 to fill the t-case, uses a 10mm hex for fill and drain plugs.

- jumper harness to adapt the 242's indicator switch to the vehicle's harness is #56041438AA and was about $28.00

- The seal for the tranny output extension housing on the 5-45RFE is National Seal #710928 and was $14 at Advance Auto Parts

- The tailshaft slip yoke seal for the NP242HD is only available through dealership and is #05019026AA is is about $45.00!!!

- Front DS yoke swapped directly over with 1-1/8" socket, torque to 90-130ft-lbs

- You may need a T-30 torx for u-joint strap bolts on front axle.

- crossmember to frame bolts 50ft-lbs, tranny mount to tranny 35ft-lbs, crossmember to tranny mount 35ft-lbs.

still waiting on my DS to get here i bought on ebay, i could not find one within 100 miles of metro atlanta
1997 Grand Cherokee Ltd.
BradMB2004 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2010, 09:41 PM   #74
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezflip View Post

Also, to someones comment much earlier in the thread about the difference between the 242HD and the 242j, someone else commented that the HD was meant to handle the 4.7 and the 242j could grenade if it were used with a 4.7. That is simply not true. Everything about the two cases is identical except for the input shaft on the HD is slightly longer to accommodate the 5/45rfe transmission output shaft and the HD has an internal slip yoke (simply has a tail cone covering the rear output shaft) as apposed to the external slip yoke (uses a rubber boot to cover the output shaft) on the 242j. There are zero strength differences between the two cases. The internals of both cases are identical.
I'm no expert; you certainly have more experience with the 242 than I...but WJJeeps.com states: Maximum Capacity Torque: 1486 lb.-ft. (LD); 2028 lbs.-ft. (HD) for the 242. Do you have any references that can refute or confirm their (or your) claims of equal strength? I'm not trying to be argumentative, just confused/curious.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2010, 10:57 PM   #75
ljhopp
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
I'm no expert; you certainly have more experience with the 242 than I...but WJJeeps.com states: Maximum Capacity Torque: 1486 lb.-ft. (LD); 2028 lbs.-ft. (HD) for the 242. Do you have any references that can refute or confirm their (or your) claims of equal strength? I'm not trying to be argumentative, just confused/curious.
The Hd has a thicker chain.
ljhopp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.