Jeep WJ 247-242HD Swap - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Jeep WJ 247-242HD Swap

CurrieZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!

Unread 01-27-2010, 11:46 AM   #46
GraKee99
Rapist Wit

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadraTokn View Post
Still wont work. You're forgetting the HD rear DS has 32 input splines VS 27.
AHH, totally forgot. Thanks.

WJ, WK, CJ5

Colorado Jeep Club Member #188
GraKee99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2010, 11:08 AM   #47
yayabago

back to the question about front drive shaft,,, I have a 99 247 and am swapping for the 242hd... i have the correct rear ds from 02 v8 selec but since I have to replace the front ds I went ahead and purchased the fron ds off of the 02 as well... so now what do I do in order for the change from cv to u joint?
yayabago is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2010, 12:05 PM   #48
skain8
Under Construction

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayabago View Post
back to the question about front drive shaft,,, I have a 99 247 and am swapping for the 242hd... i have the correct rear ds from 02 v8 selec but since I have to replace the front ds I went ahead and purchased the fron ds off of the 02 as well... so now what do I do in order for the change from cv to u joint?
Swap the yoke on the transfer case.

'02 WJ: 4.7L, 5", HP44/9", 231HD, tall & skinny KM2's
'99 XJ: stock
'99 XJ: stolen
'06 XK: sold
231HD build guide
skain8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2010, 12:19 PM   #49
QuadraTokn
1930 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skain8 View Post
Swap the yoke on the transfer case.
yea you can just swap it right over. No special torquing procedure, unlike a pinion yoke.
QuadraTokn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2010, 09:15 PM   #50
duffbeer
2000 WJ 

Out put shaft seal

Hi all
I did the quadra drive to 242hd 3 months a go. I never regret it ,but it will not keep an output shaft seal in.Every 3 or 4 days im fillin up the case and reglueing it in place.Any thing i can do?
duffbeer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2010, 10:10 PM   #51
SSnipes
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffbeer View Post
Hi all
I did the quadra drive to 242hd 3 months a go. I never regret it ,but it will not keep an output shaft seal in.Every 3 or 4 days im fillin up the case and reglueing it in place.Any thing i can do?
the seal is a press in fit. replace seal and dont silicone it in. your problem should then be solved.
Wife's - '01 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7L - Stock
ATS 245/70R16
SSnipes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2010, 06:38 PM   #52
sk0073
1999 WJ 

Im pretty sure ill be doing this swap in the next few weeks, but im a little confused on what to do with the front ds. I have the cv style front ds. Does this mean i have to get a front ds from a 2002-03 WJ and new yokes for both the front diff and tc sides to fit the u-joint type?
sk0073 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2010, 07:23 PM   #53
ezflip
Theme Park Dinosaur Head

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk0073 View Post
Im pretty sure ill be doing this swap in the next few weeks, but im a little confused on what to do with the front ds. I have the cv style front ds. Does this mean i have to get a front ds from a 2002-03 WJ and new yokes for both the front diff and tc sides to fit the u-joint type?
Looks like you have a 2" lift currently? You can just swap the front yoke from your current transfer case onto the 242HD and continue using your cv style shaft. If you plan on lifting any higher than that, then you may want to look into converting to a u-joint style front drive shaft.

Also, to someones comment much earlier in the thread about the difference between the 242HD and the 242j, someone else commented that the HD was meant to handle the 4.7 and the 242j could grenade if it were used with a 4.7. That is simply not true. Everything about the two cases is identical except for the input shaft on the HD is slightly longer to accommodate the 5/45rfe transmission output shaft and the HD has an internal slip yoke (simply has a tail cone covering the rear output shaft) as apposed to the external slip yoke (uses a rubber boot to cover the output shaft) on the 242j. There are zero strength differences between the two cases. The internals of both cases are identical. Spline count on the rear output may or may not be different (I cannot confirm this) however, I can confirm that the spline count on the 242j is the same as the 247 that comes with the 4.7's so there are no strength issues with the spline count of the 242j.

BTW, I am working on a write up for swapping the 247 on a 4.7 to a 242j. This will include what steps are needed to perform the swap such as swapping input shaft gears, the main shaft, and the tail cone. I will be doing the swap this weekend. If my calculations are correct, the end result will cost me about $100 for the 242j and I will be able to use my existing rear driveshaft as well as my existing front driveshaft.

The reason I am doing this instead of the direct swap of the 242HD is simply money. The cheapest HD I found was over 100 miles away from me and would cost $400 + $100 for the rear driveshaft to go with it. I can grab 242j's around here all day long for around $100. Since the economy is in the crapper, most people, including myself, cannot afford to dump $500 on a swap like this. So I would rather take a little time and swap parts over and save money rather than have a quick and easy direct swap but have it be more expensive.

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread
ezflip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2010, 07:27 PM   #54
sk0073
1999 WJ 

ok, cool thanks for the quick reply
Unread 04-12-2010, 02:48 PM   #55
sk0073
1999 WJ 

Oh yeah, one more thing, what seals will i need to replace?
Unread 04-12-2010, 04:14 PM   #56
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezflip View Post

BTW, I am working on a write up for swapping the 247 on a 4.7 to a 242j. This will include what steps are needed to perform the swap such as swapping input shaft gears, the main shaft, and the tail cone. I will be doing the swap this weekend. If my calculations are correct, the end result will cost me about $100 for the 242j and I will be able to use my existing rear driveshaft as well as my existing front driveshaft.

The reason I am doing this instead of the direct swap of the 242HD is simply money. The cheapest HD I found was over 100 miles away from me and would cost $400 + $100 for the rear driveshaft to go with it. I can grab 242j's around here all day long for around $100. Since the economy is in the crapper, most people, including myself, cannot afford to dump $500 on a swap like this. So I would rather take a little time and swap parts over and save money rather than have a quick and easy direct swap but have it be more expensive.

Any update on this? I'm headed to pickup a 242j from a 4.0 this weekend, and follow this guide:

ZJ Grand Cherokee 249 t-case swap to 242 How-to from KOR!

To use the $70 242 from a 4.0 versus the minimum $350 for a v8 242.

Have you made any progress? I'm doing it next weekend regardless, and will try to get my wife to take pictures as I go along.
narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2010, 04:47 PM   #57
Apollo21
2002 WJ 

i almost found a 242HD for $65 the guy didn't know what he had but it turned out to be a regular 242(j)
Midshipmen Patrick 1/C USMMA DD: 2004 Golf GLS TDI 43mpg and 2002 Overland: Zone 4in, 32in Treadwright MTRs, IRO upper CAs, lift gate light mod, Alpine/Polk speakers, and power inverter with USB in dash mod, CB, custom rear swing out tire carrier Build thread [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/apollo21-build-thread-902929/[/url] SOLD
Apollo21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2010, 11:18 AM   #58
sk0073
1999 WJ 

I just picked up my 242HD for the swap. The guy at the parts place asked what i was doing with it and i told him about the swap. So he starts freaking out about how it wont work and it will burn up the TC because the gear ratios are different and they wont take it back if thats the case. I told him many have done this swap, but he still didnt believe. Just wanna double check to see if theres anything i have to be aware of dealing with the ratios?
Unread 04-16-2010, 11:38 AM   #59
Apollo21
2002 WJ 

as the great Jerry Bransford has said "We have measured it, and IT is the same"
Midshipmen Patrick 1/C USMMA DD: 2004 Golf GLS TDI 43mpg and 2002 Overland: Zone 4in, 32in Treadwright MTRs, IRO upper CAs, lift gate light mod, Alpine/Polk speakers, and power inverter with USB in dash mod, CB, custom rear swing out tire carrier Build thread [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/apollo21-build-thread-902929/[/url] SOLD
Apollo21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2010, 11:56 AM   #60
uticaGC
1999 WJ 

Nierace,

In my 99 QD I can only shift into 4low when the shifter lever is in Neutral. I'm assuming the BCM locks out the TC shifter from moving if I'm not in Neutral. What happens once the swap is done. Do you have shift on the fly capability or not?
uticaGC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.