Jeep WJ 247-242HD Swap - Page 38 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Jeep WJ 247-242HD Swap

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 03-12-2014, 06:37 PM   #556
gatorchin
2000 WJ 

Have a question..in the write up it says to drop the crossmember a couple of inches so you have room to work, and keep it supported with a floor jack..my question is, why not remove it entirely? Especially if you are doing this swap by yourself, and would need that floor jack to remove/lower the transfer case, then raise the 242 up in place?

00' Laredo w/4.7, 2.5/2" fat bobs coil spring lift, front 3/4" spacer, bilsteins 5100's from Kolak, rear addco w/greasable bushings, 245/16/75 treadwright wardens, 247>242 transfer case swap, all control arms replaced with aftermarket, and lots more $ into various parts
gatorchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2014, 06:43 PM   #557
ezflip
Theme Park Dinosaur Head

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorchin View Post
Have a question..in the write up it says to drop the crossmember a couple of inches so you have room to work, and keep it supported with a floor jack..my question is, why not remove it entirely? Especially if you are doing this swap by yourself, and would need that floor jack to remove/lower the transfer case, then raise the 242 up in place?
If you remove the crossmember entirely, there would be nothing holding up the transmission and transfer case. In fact, it is the only rear mount of the 3 motor mounts. Two up front, one rear. So, the entire motor would rotate towards the rear and will hit the firewall causing damage. You can remove the bolts completely and lower it a bit further that way, but youll need to keep the jack under it and be mindful of the motor in relation to the firewall.

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread

KCCO
ezflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2014, 07:03 PM   #558
gatorchin
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezflip
If you remove the crossmember entirely, there would be nothing holding up the transmission and transfer case. In fact, it is the only rear mount of the 3 motor mounts. Two up front, one rear. So, the entire motor would rotate towards the rear and will hit the firewall causing damage. You can remove the bolts completely and lower it a bit further that way, but youll need to keep the jack under it and be mindful of the motor in relation to the firewall.
Makes perfect sense..so it would probably be better to leave the bolts in and drop it a couple of inches, just like the write up suggested..just trying to get all my questions answered because I'm ready to do the swap this weekend hopefully.

One more question..I have my front cv shaft removed (going to double cardan)..I have my front diff yoke installed..tomorrow I may have a couple hours to kill, although in bad weather..I was thinking this May be a good time to go ahead and install the select trac shifter assembly, since I can do all that work inside the jeep..would it be ok to go ahead and do this?? I, wanted to get al I can done before the actual case/driveshafts
00' Laredo w/4.7, 2.5/2" fat bobs coil spring lift, front 3/4" spacer, bilsteins 5100's from Kolak, rear addco w/greasable bushings, 245/16/75 treadwright wardens, 247>242 transfer case swap, all control arms replaced with aftermarket, and lots more $ into various parts
Unread 03-12-2014, 07:05 PM   #559
ezflip
Theme Park Dinosaur Head

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Makes perfect sense..so it would probably be better to leave the bolts in and drop it a couple of inches, just like the write up suggested..just trying to get all my questions answered because I'm ready to do the swap this weekend hopefully.

One more question..I have my front cv shaft removed (going to double cardan)..I have my front diff yoke installed..tomorrow I may have a couple hours to kill, although in bad weather..I was thinking this May be a good time to go ahead and install the select trac shifter assembly, since I can do all that work inside the jeep..would it be ok to go ahead and do this?? I, wanted to get al I can done before the actual case/driveshafts
Yep, no problem doing that at all.

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread

KCCO
Unread 03-12-2014, 07:16 PM   #560
gatorchin
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Yep, no problem doing that at all.
Good to hear..wish there a was a write up w/pics..I found a write up but (text only..guess only one way to do it and that's tear into it
Unread 03-12-2014, 07:21 PM   #561
ezflip
Theme Park Dinosaur Head

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Good to hear..wish there a was a write up w/pics..I found a write up but (text only..guess only one way to do it and that's tear into it
Are you swapping in a 242HD or an LD? If its an LD, this is from a ZJ, but it is exactly the same. http://kevinsoffroad.com/techarticle...-242_swap.html

If its an HD, just skip the part about swapping the input shaft

Build Thread

KCCO
Unread 03-12-2014, 07:30 PM   #562
gatorchin
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Are you swapping in a 242HD or an LD? If its an LD, this is from a ZJ, but it is exactly the same. http://kevinsoffroad.com/techarticle...-242_swap.html If its an HD, just skip the part about swapping the input shaft
I'm swapping in the hd..I'll check that link out, thanks

Oh..after looking at the link, I was referring to a write up on the shifter assembly swap..it can't be that hard, but it's always good if you can find a write up w/ pics...the write up that began this thread should get me through the actual case swap
Unread 03-14-2014, 12:09 PM   #563
gatorchin
2000 WJ 

I'm in the middle of this and these transfer case nuts are giving me fits..the engineers didn't want this swap to happen without giving people fits..I have 3 of the 6 bolts off..funny thing is some of them are 14mm and some 15mm..can't wait till this is over

One was 15mm...this wj has had a en engine and tramsmission replaced so I'm thinking whoever did that work threw on the 15mm
Unread 03-14-2014, 05:54 PM   #564
gatorchin
2000 WJ 

Can someone help me with the bolt size I need that connect the front of 242 transfer case to double cardan driveshaft?

nevermind got the part number from the dealer
Unread 03-15-2014, 08:19 PM   #565
Kalel
2004 WJ 

Do I have to swap in the Select Trac shifter?
Unread 03-16-2014, 05:30 AM   #566
gatorchin
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalel View Post
if you mean the whole shifter assembly, no you dont' have to..you could just put stickers or something where the shift points are, i know some guys did that..but i went ahead and changed out the whole assembly..its really easy..there is a write up on how to remove center console on wjjeeps.com
Unread 03-16-2014, 07:14 AM   #567
shockracer
14,000' WJ

2001 WJ 

Quote:
You could also just change out the bezel

The transmission shifter knob is an SOB sometimes and you could damage the wires running up the handle when trying to get it off.
5" hybrid lift, 265/70/17 Guard Dogs load E, bilsteins 5100's, addco sway bars, JKS front quick disco's, JKS adjustable track bar, KOR durometer track bar bushings, IRO crucial path front L.A.s, 1.25" Spidertrax spacers

Colorado Jeep Club Member #262
shockracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2014, 09:54 AM   #568
doorjamm
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Gcjeeping sells the bezels over in the classifieds
doorjamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2014, 12:08 PM   #569
gatorchin
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockracer View Post
You could also just change out the bezel

The transmission shifter knob is an SOB sometimes and you could damage the wires running up the handle when trying to get it off.
yeah i was gonna try this route but broke my od wires in two on my 247 shifter knob
Unread 03-22-2014, 11:30 PM   #570
mehammered
1999 WJ 

I am in the process of doing this, there is a lot to know. Lots of mistakes that can be made. I will give all my notes.
mehammered is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.