Jeep WJ 247-242HD Swap - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Jeep WJ 247-242HD Swap

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 01-13-2012, 12:52 PM   #151
liquidxit2
2002 WJ 

I like many prefer to control when my rig goes into 4wd. While the 247 isnt terrible and for those who dont want to fiddle with a 4x4 level its perfect. But again I like the control and I definitely want to get away from the specific fluid the 247 requires...But then again since the 247 in my WJ seems to work I have no money for things that dont NEED to be fixed so the 247 stays.

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7 low output quadradrive. 31in General Grabber AT2, OME HD, bilstein 5100, IRO sway links, addco rear sway. Kolak 3in exhaust with flowmaster SUV 50, magnaflow 3in cat, Custom K and N FIPK, modded airbox with ram air, Fastman 71mm Throttle body, PML RFE Deep pan, Autometer digital trans temp gauge, P.I.E. aux adapter, Infinity reference 3.5/6x9/6.5, 200w inverter, surco rack, front/rear/cargo husky liners.
WJ Build!
liquidxit2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2012, 11:13 PM   #152
sparkin5280

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrrooom View Post
Why would you want to do this swap? Seems like the QD works quite well and running in 2wd has no gas mileage benefits; so why change?
Let me answer this question with a story of my own POS 247. Last March I had my 04 Overland with fresh 4" lift and 32's and only 82k miles in Moab UT. I also pulled a 3000# popup camper out there from Denver too. The first day I was there I was doing Fins and Things (moderate trail), and a few hours into the trail I heard a PINGGG....ZING ZING ZING, at which my forward progress was halted. My Tcase basically blew up and it took me 30 minutes with someone's help under the Jeep to get the thing to engage. It would only barely get into 4HI and I had to press hard on the lever the entire time to keep it in. I had several more very steep climbs and decents to do to get off the trail, a working Tcase would have been nice.

Once back in Moab, a local shop confirmed the destruction on my case. He couldn't even get it apart to see what happened, but we basically think that viscous coupling in there had enough. There were no donor cases in Moab or Grand Junction that I could find, so my next best option was to get one out of Denver. I had a rebuild shop, A1 Transmissions (ask for Will), figure out a solution. This was before I knew of the 242HD, so he built a 242j with the correct input shaft. He was also nice enough to get this out the door in one day and ship it overnight (don't ask me what a 90# Tcase cost to ship 400 miles overnight Fedex). I had a salt of the earth local Moab mechanic put it in. He was a Jeep genius, but had a little trouble getting the linkage to work correctly. Not sure what he did, be he said he had to weld something on the linkage to get full range of gears.

Since it was a 242 non HD, I didn't need the rear driveshaft. Before reading this thread I didn't know there was a difference with the HD, but I wouldn't have known it because it towed my trailer back to Denver with ease and I wheeled pretty hard with it all summer. I think if you aren't towing up to the factory limit, the regular 242 with V8 should be fine. I sold that Jeep last fall and now I'm building another one.....

So I've bought another 2004 Limited that already had a 4-5" lift on it, but has that pesky 247 in it. I'm not waiting for this one to strand me like the last one, so I've had A1 put another case together for me like they did before. Basically all they have to do is put a different input shaft on a regular 242. I'm aware a 242HD has higher specs, but I'd rather have a standard 242 that's been completely rebuilt than a 100k mile 242HD and have to buy rear driveshaft too.

I took it to a Jeep guy here in Denver today to help me put it in, and it all bolts up fine except he can't figure out how to get the stock WJ cable to operate the lever on the 242 case. The lever on the 247 case is about 3" long and the one on the new case is about 1.5" long, also the new case's lever is pointed in the wrong direction, if we try and rotate that lever to a direction that works with the WJ cable the lever hits the case and it won't go into 2wd. I'm not sure what that guy in Moab did to make it work, but I need to figure out how to get it to work like my last one.

This is where I'm reaching out to you WJ gearheads. Anyone bolt up a 242j like this to a v8?? What does is take to get the linkage to work properly? Here are pictures of my new Tcase. Sorry it's so shiny, they paint it up all pretty when they rebuild it.

Thanks in advance for all of your help!!

sparkin5280 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2012, 03:48 PM   #153
darule336
2000 WJ 

So shiny and clean.
I would really like to see the difference between the 242j and the 242hd. I have a 2000 wj 4.7 with the 247, looking to do the swap. I am wondering what needs to be changed to make either one work. I've read just about every thread I can find, but the only thing I seem to know is that a 242hd from a 2002-03 v8 model will work with just a swap of the rear ds. I would hate to buy the wrong one and get stuck with a 90lb door stop.
darule336 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2012, 04:46 PM   #154
drwolcot

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by darule336 View Post
So shiny and clean.
I would really like to see the difference between the 242j and the 242hd. I have a 2000 wj 4.7 with the 247, looking to do the swap. I am wondering what needs to be changed to make either one work. I've read just about every thread I can find, but the only thing I seem to know is that a 242hd from a 2002-03 v8 model will work with just a swap of the rear ds. I would hate to buy the wrong one and get stuck with a 90lb door stop.
you can find a 242HD starting in 2000 model WJ's.. I had one

|
|
2002 WJ Overland | 4.7 H.O. | Clayton 6in LA | LSR Bumper | JKS discos | JKS Track Bar | KOR SS | BFG KM2's 285/75/17 | Carolina Front/Rear Driveshaft | Quadradrive | 125k Miles
|
|
RIP
|4.7 | 242HD | 2WD-->4WD Conversion | Vari-Lock front D30 | D44a Aussie Locker | Hybrid RCX 4in + BB | IronMan FUCA's | D30 Solid Diff Cover | Carolina Front Driveshaft | JCR Stage 3 Sliders | E-Fan Conversion | Hard-KOR SS|
WJ 2WD-->4WD Conversion Build Thread
|
|
2003 WJ Overland - SOLD
drwolcot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2012, 04:47 PM   #155
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by darule336 View Post
So shiny and clean.
Looks like aluminum spray paint to me.

Also, the story of the exploding 247 doesn't sound like a progressive coupler failure (note there is no viscous coupler in an NV247) but more like stripping teeth on the chain sprockets.

If I were having a 242J built up for a V8 WJ application, I'd have whoever builds it install the 6-pinion planetary set from the Dodge applications to strengthen the center diff. The 242J uses the weaker 3-pinion planetary gearset. I'm not sure which the 242HD has.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2012, 05:05 PM   #156
darule336
2000 WJ 

I do believe the progressive coupler is still considered to be a viscous one. If I
Understand it correctly.

But if I don't have a lift but just trying to improve my dd. just looking for a quick and easy fix/swap
Unread 01-27-2012, 05:49 PM   #157
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Nope, they work on fundamentally different principles.

The progressive coupling has a pump actuated by difference in axle speed that uses hydraulic pressure to compress a set of clutches. This setup has the ability to lock completely and the clutches share the same fluid as the rest of the differential.

The viscous coupling has series of perforated/slotted plates that do not actually make contact, but rather rely on shearing/heating of the internal fluid to change the viscosity of the fluid and transfer torque between the plates. The fluid is not shared with the rest of the differential, and this setup does not have the ability to fully lock and tends to degrade fairly quickly with fluid condition. It is also more sensitive to temperature and can be semi-permanently "locked" if the differential is overheated.

But all that is beside the point. If your 247 is broken, the easiest swap is another 247. The 242HD or 242Js are viable options as well, and I think that if you read all 11 pages of this fairly comprehensive thread, then all your questions will probably be answered. For a daily driver, the 247 is a fine transfer case, certainly easier to use than the 242. Install one, and do nothing else and it will probably give you another 100k of trouble-free driving. Maintain it, another 150k+. Or, if you need/want a fully-locked 4HI mode or want to do burnouts in 2WD mode, go get a 242.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2012, 06:04 PM   #158
darule336
2000 WJ 

Think i need to Reread this thread, been researching this for a couple weeks. I am actually surprised I found another thread talking about. A lot of confusion with the names, and that was the best explanation I have read. Thank you for clarifying.
Unread 02-02-2012, 12:27 PM   #159
jesse09119
1999 WJ 

im replacing my bad 247 Transfer case i want to put in a 242 there much cheaper. my question is about the input shaft. I can get a 242 from a 2000-2001 but its a 4.0 liter am i going to be able to swap the input shaft or do i need to find and older 242 that comes off of an 8 cylinder
jesse09119 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2012, 12:53 PM   #160
darule336
2000 WJ 

I think you want to look for a 2002-2003 242hd off the v8. It might be possible with a 242 from i6 with an input shaft swap. Don't take my word on it though.

Last edited by darule336; 02-02-2012 at 01:08 PM.. Reason: Fixed year from 2004-2003
Unread 02-02-2012, 01:10 PM   #161
ezflip
NEWS FLASH It snows in MI

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse09119 View Post
im replacing my bad 247 Transfer case i want to put in a 242 there much cheaper. my question is about the input shaft. I can get a 242 from a 2000-2001 but its a 4.0 liter am i going to be able to swap the input shaft or do i need to find and older 242 that comes off of an 8 cylinder
Yes, you can use a 242j from an i6 and you do need to swap input shafts. I did this a while back and it held up great. I sold that jeep a few months ago. I have an Overland now and am doing the swap again. I actually found a 242HD for $200 so I am going that route this time around since I found one for so cheap. Picking it up on Saturday

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread

The Thanksgiving JF Membership Giveaway is here!!
ezflip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2012, 02:43 PM   #162
mctwin2kman
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezflip View Post
Yes, you can use a 242j from an i6 and you do need to swap input shafts. I did this a while back and it held up great. I sold that jeep a few months ago. I have an Overland now and am doing the swap again. I actually found a 242HD for $200 so I am going that route this time around since I found one for so cheap. Picking it up on Saturday
So the 242J does not need a new rear driveshaft for this swap on a V8? I ask since the other guy mentioned it and you did one before. Because for the life of me I can not find a decent 242HD for less than $400 close to me. So it is either swap to a 242 or just replace the coupler in the 247.
mctwin2kman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2012, 02:47 PM   #163
ezflip
NEWS FLASH It snows in MI

2002 WJ 

You will need the rear drive shaft off the donor jeep if you go the 242j route.

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread

The Thanksgiving JF Membership Giveaway is here!!
ezflip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2012, 02:58 PM   #164
darule336
2000 WJ 

I was under the impression the drive shafts were different lengths. One was inch and half longer. I'd say go for but see if you can get the driveshaft as well. Or I'd they don't have it look for one on car-part.com.
Unread 02-02-2012, 07:44 PM   #165
jesse09119
1999 WJ 

so i just replaced my 247 with a 247 that has 111k miles. i was gonna do the 242 which was only $150 but it was just simpler and easier to put in the 247 i just want the vehicle to work. Plus it was only 300. found it on car-part.com great site. auto recylcers in coplay PA. great guys oh and 90 day warranty. now 2 questions.

1.) what type of fluid does the 247 take? I heard there's a special 247 fluid. but my local mechanic said his website told him dexron mercon.

2.) my current slip yoke for the rear drivshaft that mates to the TC, its missing a plug. the fluid can run right through the center of the of the yoke.

i used a freeze out plug for this but im not sure its the right solution

On another note. Just for my own sanity, what everyone is talking about here. the 247 to 242j/242hd swap. on a wj.

i believe the later 242J's (2000-2004)have a 32 spline rear drive shaft. the 247J's have 27 spline. also these 242's only come on wj's with the 6 cylinder and have the .84" input shaft. this being said you'll have to swap input shafts and then swap the rear drive shaft or yolk.

earlier 242J's 95-98 come with a 27 spline rear DS output shaft so you can use your existing shaft and but im not sure on the input shaft length.

242HD's u need the donor vehicle rear DS

i made no metion of the front DS here because it seems pretty clear that 247's came with CV's and u joints, so u just swap out the yoke to match ur existing DS.

and BTW thanks for all the quick replies it took me about 4 hrs to do this swap 247 to 247 going to the 242 would have taken more time if i had to swap the input shafts and yokes.
jesse09119 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.