Jeep Rehab One WJ Jeeps Story of Rescue from Neglect - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Jeep Rehab One WJ Jeeps Story of Rescue from Neglect

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rock

Reply
Unread 09-22-2013, 10:42 PM   #31
nolimitssjca
Registered User
1999 WJ 
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 178
Updating front diff and wiper blade status

• Tailgate struts - Fixed
• Back Glass struts - Fixed
• Hood struts failed - Fixed
• Air Bag light on - Fixed
• No left turn signal - Fixed
• Left passenger door lock failure
• Seat memory not working
• No A/C fan - Fixed
• Driver side door card – destroyed - Fixed
• Rear passenger door card – destroyed - Fixed
• Turn signal holder (rear) damage - Fixed
• Dash light out - Fixed
• Wipers stuttering - Fixed
• Front diff leaky - Fixed

• Rear wheel bearing noise
• Noise (from steering column) under braking
• Driver seat broken
• Driver seat leather damage
• Stereo speakers - not all working
• Cargo carpet damage
• Torn passenger visor
• 1 key
• 1 key fob
• Thousands of minor scratches
• Multiple clear coat failure spots
• Rear cargo carpet failure
• Throttle Position Sensor
• Front passenger door card missing door panel clips

__________________
1999 WJ 4x4, 1997 ZJ 4x4
1997 Mountaineer 4x4, 1996 Explorer 4x4
1972 Mustang Mach 1 351 Cleveland, 1972 Mustang Coupe 302
1970 Chevy C-20 350, 2002 Kawasaki Vulcan
nolimitssjca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2013, 11:05 AM   #32
KayCeeJeep
Registered User
2004 WJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Kansas City, Missouri
Posts: 1,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by akinshake View Post
Subscribed.

I'm in the same boat, picked up a 99 Laredo from some people in Canada... So needless to say I'm dealing with some serious rust underneath, however the bottom of the body looks fine. So now I'm in the process of completely overhauling the WJ. It's only got 82k miles so at least I caught it before it could be neglected anymore. Can't wait to see how yours turns out. Thanks for the detailed build specs!

Good for you, I think that is key with a WJ purchase, get as low as miles as possible since it is highly likely it did NOT get it's proper maintenance in the first place.

I got mine at 80k and as you'd pretty much expect it was on original ATF, transfer case and differential fluids as best as I could tell. So many WJ's fell into the hands of "non Jeep" people when new the used ones out there now can be a roll of the dice.
KayCeeJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2013, 05:19 PM   #33
nolimitssjca
Registered User
1999 WJ 
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 178
Updating Key & Key fob

Took 2 keys and a key fob from ebay to dealer. The keys programmed ok but the key fob... not so much. Asking ebay for a refund for key fob.

Dealer cost $72.50. Seemed fair.

Note: Dealer told me they saw my WJ for maintenance 113k miles ago for it's 78k mile service.
__________________
1999 WJ 4x4, 1997 ZJ 4x4
1997 Mountaineer 4x4, 1996 Explorer 4x4
1972 Mustang Mach 1 351 Cleveland, 1972 Mustang Coupe 302
1970 Chevy C-20 350, 2002 Kawasaki Vulcan
nolimitssjca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2013, 05:53 PM   #34
BigAl63
Registered User
2000 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Central, La.
Posts: 100
Looking good!
__________________
2" BB, 1.25" wheel spacers
BigAl63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 08:48 PM   #35
Harriedtwo
Registered User
2000 WJ 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Las Cruces, New Mexico
Posts: 132
You are really going to town repairing the WJ. I am doing the same think to the WJ I bought. I am curious. Since you bought your WJ, are you keeping a running tally on what you spend? At what point is it reasonable to consider not doing any more work?

Last November I bought a used WJ with 169,000 miles. I've changed all the fluids except the HOAT, replaced the tie rods with MOOG, replaced the rear A-arm, and replaced all the struts. So far, I've spent just under $1,000. I keep smelling a funky smell and others have seen white smoke when off-road, in addition the MIL light is on with a code of P0420 (catalyst below efficiency). I talked with a muffler repair shop. He recommends I get the engine issues repaired, then he'll replace the pre-cat (I bought one on Ebay for under $80 incl. shipping).

I suspect I may need to have major engine work done. I know a lot about maintenance, but nothing about rebuilding engines or transmissions. If the head is cracked, then I think I would need to have the engine rebuilt. How much of a job is it to do?
__________________
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ with 169,000 miles. Stock, as far as I can tell, but "Stupid" is supposed to have a 2" lift. Bought in October 2012; parts replaced: upper rear control arm, rear ball joint, front tie rods (Moog), rear door actuator, replaced all tires with 245/65R17.
Harriedtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 10:33 PM   #36
nolimitssjca
Registered User
1999 WJ 
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 178
I am keeping a tally of costs. We did my son's 97 ZJ on the cheap. We paid $1500 for the WJ and fixes came to about $800 for a total of about $2300. Now it's in great shape and for less $$$ than a vehicle in comparable shape.

The WJ goal was similar. My Mountaineer had a water pump problem and I needed transportation for work in a hurry. Given the easy project of the ZJ we thought a WJ might be fun to see if we could make money and flip a WJ. I figured the black WJ had the capability of going blacked out and getting $attitude$. I wanted to stay under $1500 on repair and "attitude". My biggest obstacle on price is wheels, tires, stance. Anybody can do those for $1500. I'm trying to do it for around $500-$600.

Cutting into my budget are a couple of unexpected items, front axle, Key programming, rear door lock. I don't know if I'll make money, but it's a fun project for sure.

Making it a real pain is the local pick-n-pull won't carry the WJ. They have a "Premium" lot 1 hour away. Premium means it costs 40% more for parts and a long drive (even if it is down the coast on highway 1).
__________________
1999 WJ 4x4, 1997 ZJ 4x4
1997 Mountaineer 4x4, 1996 Explorer 4x4
1972 Mustang Mach 1 351 Cleveland, 1972 Mustang Coupe 302
1970 Chevy C-20 350, 2002 Kawasaki Vulcan
nolimitssjca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2013, 02:03 PM   #37
nolimitssjca
Registered User
1999 WJ 
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 178
Cudo's to 242forme. The noise coming from the column/gear shift area turned out to be the transfer case cable that fell down onto the front drive shaft when the clip failed.

Easiest fix ever! I was ready to lay out cash for a new shaft.
__________________
1999 WJ 4x4, 1997 ZJ 4x4
1997 Mountaineer 4x4, 1996 Explorer 4x4
1972 Mustang Mach 1 351 Cleveland, 1972 Mustang Coupe 302
1970 Chevy C-20 350, 2002 Kawasaki Vulcan
nolimitssjca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2013, 06:36 PM   #38
wsar10
Registered User
2003 WJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: State College, PA, PA
Posts: 2,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harriedtwo View Post
You are really going to town repairing the WJ. I am doing the same think to the WJ I bought. I am curious. Since you bought your WJ, are you keeping a running tally on what you spend? At what point is it reasonable to consider not doing any more work?

Last November I bought a used WJ with 169,000 miles. I've changed all the fluids except the HOAT, replaced the tie rods with MOOG, replaced the rear A-arm, and replaced all the struts. So far, I've spent just under $1,000. I keep smelling a funky smell and others have seen white smoke when off-road, in addition the MIL light is on with a code of P0420 (catalyst below efficiency). I talked with a muffler repair shop. He recommends I get the engine issues repaired, then he'll replace the pre-cat (I bought one on Ebay for under $80 incl. shipping).

I suspect I may need to have major engine work done. I know a lot about maintenance, but nothing about rebuilding engines or transmissions. If the head is cracked, then I think I would need to have the engine rebuilt. How much of a job is it to do?
The question "fiscal sense" really depends on WHY your fixing it. If you plan to keep it til the wheels fall off than Just Empty Every Pocket...if your gonna sale than you need to establish a profit margin and stick to it.
__________________
QUOTE=billzcat1;wsar10 is right on point on this oil thread - as usual. Anyone reading this would be well-served taking his advice.


-03 WJ laredo 4.0 120k a few minor mods
-93 XJ 5spd, 3" zone lift
wsar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2013, 06:40 PM   #39
wsar10
Registered User
2003 WJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: State College, PA, PA
Posts: 2,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolimitssjca View Post
I am keeping a tally of costs. We did my son's 97 ZJ on the cheap. We paid $1500 for the WJ and fixes came to about $800 for a total of about $2300. Now it's in great shape and for less $$$ than a vehicle in comparable shape.

The WJ goal was similar. My Mountaineer had a water pump problem and I needed transportation for work in a hurry. Given the easy project of the ZJ we thought a WJ might be fun to see if we could make money and flip a WJ. I figured the black WJ had the capability of going blacked out and getting $attitude$. I wanted to stay under $1500 on repair and "attitude". My biggest obstacle on price is wheels, tires, stance. Anybody can do those for $1500. I'm trying to do it for around $500-$600.

Cutting into my budget are a couple of unexpected items, front axle, Key programming, rear door lock. I don't know if I'll make money, but it's a fun project for sure.

Making it a real pain is the local pick-n-pull won't carry the WJ. They have a "Premium" lot 1 hour away. Premium means it costs 40% more for parts and a long drive (even if it is down the coast on highway 1).
Tires and wheels for $600.......
check CL for used,
If you go new you can always go "Cragar soft 8's" they are stell but look good and they are cheep from EBAY or summit.

Tire if you go new you could go with "treadwrghts" (google search it) or Hankook Dyna-Pro ATM's I have the ATM's on my WJ (one size bigger than OE) and 3 years ago they were $490 shipped to my door from EBAY, they cant be too much more than that now. They work great on and offroad in ALL conditions and have held up great.
__________________
QUOTE=billzcat1;wsar10 is right on point on this oil thread - as usual. Anyone reading this would be well-served taking his advice.


-03 WJ laredo 4.0 120k a few minor mods
-93 XJ 5spd, 3" zone lift
wsar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2013, 10:08 PM   #40
Harriedtwo
Registered User
2000 WJ 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Las Cruces, New Mexico
Posts: 132
When I bought the WJ, I thought I could fix it up so my wife and I could take it out on the trails. Since then I have found out a few things. One, my wife HATES going off-road. Two, she doesn't like the WJ since it had a lift and she has a lot of trouble getting into it; she also HATES to ride in it. She has ridden in it one time, which was before I replaced the rear A-frame (it was worn-out and had a bad ball joint). She refuses to get in it now.

I found going off-road is not much fun by myself. Neither is it safe to do since we live in a desert and things can happen. I have gone on a few group outings with a local 4x4 club but I didn't find a good fit. I'm rethinking the entire idea of owning the Jeep. The Jeep was supposed to be a fun project, but I'm finding working by myself its almost like work instead of being a fun hobby. On the other hand, I don't need to drive the Jeep since I have my truck.
__________________
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ with 169,000 miles. Stock, as far as I can tell, but "Stupid" is supposed to have a 2" lift. Bought in October 2012; parts replaced: upper rear control arm, rear ball joint, front tie rods (Moog), rear door actuator, replaced all tires with 245/65R17.
Harriedtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2013, 12:26 AM   #41
nolimitssjca
Registered User
1999 WJ 
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 178
Well UPS & FedEx were busy today. The header panel, new grill, and smoked tail lights showed up. Got them all installed and it looks pretty good. Now that the headlight buckets are solid the headlights need serious adjustment. I'll post up some pictures tomorrow.
__________________
1999 WJ 4x4, 1997 ZJ 4x4
1997 Mountaineer 4x4, 1996 Explorer 4x4
1972 Mustang Mach 1 351 Cleveland, 1972 Mustang Coupe 302
1970 Chevy C-20 350, 2002 Kawasaki Vulcan
nolimitssjca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2013, 12:10 PM   #42
Ravie
Registered User
1999 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Topeka, KS
Posts: 1,220
Also...I think we need some pictures of your other toys, even if it is OT......
__________________
1999 WJ - Over 10k on the 4.0 rebuild. FB/BDS 2" lift (2.5") w/Bilstein 5125's. General Class Ham...KC0LUA
Burlbook48 sez "Nothing moves a project along faster than cubic dollars." Certified Thread Killer.
Ravie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2013, 05:20 PM   #43
Trxgedy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harriedtwo View Post
When I bought the WJ, I thought I could fix it up so my wife and I could take it out on the trails. Since then I have found out a few things. One, my wife HATES going off-road. Two, she doesn't like the WJ since it had a lift and she has a lot of trouble getting into it; she also HATES to ride in it. She has ridden in it one time, which was before I replaced the rear A-frame (it was worn-out and had a bad ball joint). She refuses to get in it now.

I found going off-road is not much fun by myself. Neither is it safe to do since we live in a desert and things can happen. I have gone on a few group outings with a local 4x4 club but I didn't find a good fit. I'm rethinking the entire idea of owning the Jeep. The Jeep was supposed to be a fun project, but I'm finding working by myself its almost like work instead of being a fun hobby. On the other hand, I don't need to drive the Jeep since I have my truck.

I ran into the same boat, I got my WJ by chance, my car broke down and a friend had the WJ said if I took over payments it was mine. All excited I started multiple projects, but all alone It feels like work, especially with all the issues I keep running into. It would be way better if I had some jeep friends, my friends all build their mustangs, so noone to wheel with.
Trxgedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2013, 07:54 PM   #44
nolimitssjca
Registered User
1999 WJ 
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 178
Harriedtwo... My wife pointed out that on the plus side you don't need to share the SJ!

Trxgedy, What part of the world are you in?
__________________
1999 WJ 4x4, 1997 ZJ 4x4
1997 Mountaineer 4x4, 1996 Explorer 4x4
1972 Mustang Mach 1 351 Cleveland, 1972 Mustang Coupe 302
1970 Chevy C-20 350, 2002 Kawasaki Vulcan
nolimitssjca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2013, 10:20 PM   #45
Trxgedy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 281
I live smack dab in the middle of cleveland OH. All the jeep ppl I meet are all hrs away from me, itd be nice if I had one or 2 that lived close by where we could work on projects instead of doing everything alone lol.
Trxgedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.