JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   WJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/)
-   -   Jeep Rehab – One WJ Jeeps Story of Rescue from Neglect (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/jeep-rehab-one-wj-jeeps-story-rescue-neglect-1587249/)

nolimitssjca 09-15-2013 02:43 AM

Jeep Rehab – One WJ Jeeps Story of Rescue from Neglect

Hello Jeep Forum. My name is Ed and I love breathing new life into cars that have been neglected. Two years ago my stepson and I towed home a $500 1998 Mustang for his first car. After a few weeks of intense repair he began driving it to school. Over the next two years we began to hone his car repair skills by continuing to repair and upgrade this disaster. A couple of months ago he decided he wanted to move on and upgrade to a Jeep ZJ. I agreed to sell the Mustang to pay for his new ride. We found a suitable ZJ candidate and went to work. Unfortunately, the Mustang met an untimely death (before we could sell it) when a young driver misjudged his turn and met the Mustang head on as it was parked next to the house.

In keeping with our desire to find rides to give new life, the ZJ did need some work:
• Rear bumper destroyed
• Headliner down
• AC not working
• Leaking Power Steering
• Driver seat torn
• Passenger door card torn
• Discolored bumpers
• Headlights dim and dingy
• Wheel seriously damaged
• Tire bald
• Wipers

All-in-all it took just over 3 weeks this time to make the ZJ a very comfortable ride. Far better time than we made on the Mustang.

Jeep Rehab – One WJ Jeeps Story of Rescue from Neglect

Shortly after completing the ZJ we decided to take on a very ambitious project. We found a Black 1999 WJ Jeep Limited with 190k miles on CL a week ago. This poor girl has obviously been neglected by her previous owners. Here’s a partial list (I know we don’t know them all yet) of items to be fixed.

• Thousands of minor scratches
• Multiple clear coat failure spots
• Hood struts failed
• Tailgate struts failed
• Rear cargo carpet failure
• No left turn signal
• Air Bag light on
• No A/C fan
• Driver side door card – destroyed
• Rear passenger door card – destroyed
• Left passenger door lock failure
• Rear wheel bearing noise
• Noise (from shifter) under braking
• Driver seat broken
• Driver seat leather damage
• Stereo speakers - not all working
• Cargo carpet damage
• Turn signal holder damage
• Torn passenger visor
• 1 key
• 1 key fob
• Seat memory not working

The forum has been a huge help to us in finding fixes to common problems. I hope to pay you back by chronicling our journey to bring this girl back to life.

cykaaro 09-15-2013 07:22 AM

Nice! and personally always love hearing of a jeep that didn't get scrapped. I've come across some that just made no sense in being at a wreckers as they were in pretty damn good shape. Probably just a blown motor or tranny is all. msot just throw them away for a few hundred and buy a new one. Lack of maintenance is the usual cause.

Good luck and looking forward on how this progresses!

Bam-Bam 09-15-2013 07:47 AM

Sounds like fun!!! Pics???????? :D

wsar10 09-15-2013 09:49 AM

Sounds like a typical 200k Vehicle.
I love it when people buy JEEPs because "they run forever" but then do NOTHING to them except change the oil !:confused::confused:
Out of all the vehicles I hav owned my JEEPs require the MOST maintenance of any, BUT when you take care of them they take care of you back and run forever.
Glad to see your saving one !:cheers2:

KayCeeJeep 09-15-2013 05:56 PM

Cool, start a build thread on the main forum and post as you go. Pics are needed too!

nolimitssjca 09-15-2013 10:58 PM

Thanks for the welcome. When I was researching, I found the information here to generally be spot on. So I thought I'd give back by documenting our progress here.
I can't post pics until I get 25 posts, so it will take a couple if days to get there.

KayCeeJeep, you mentioned a build thread on the main forum. I figured a build thread in the WJ section was a good idea. Which forum is the Main?

nolimitssjca 09-15-2013 11:15 PM

Items corrected this week -

• Hood struts failed - Fixed
• Air Bag light on - Fixed
• No left turn signal - Fixed
• Left passenger door lock failure
• Seat memory not working
• No A/C fan - Fixed
• Driver side door card – destroyed - Fixed
• Rear passenger door card – destroyed
• Turn signal holder (rear) damage
• Dash light out - Fixed

• Rear wheel bearing noise
• Noise (from shifter) under braking
• Driver seat broken
• Driver seat leather damage
• Stereo speakers - not all working
• Cargo carpet damage
• Torn passenger visor
• 1 key
• 1 key fob
• Thousands of minor scratches
• Multiple clear coat failure spots
• Tailgate struts failed
• Back Glass struts failed
• Rear cargo carpet failure
• Throttle Position Sensor

veiri86 09-15-2013 11:46 PM

Subscribed

I was in the same boat in October,2012. I had revived a WG, but now am proceeding on upgrade after it became a nice stock car.

Good luck and will be waiting for the photos.

nolimitssjca 09-16-2013 01:07 AM

Busy week for project WJ Rehab. Below is a list and brief explanation of the fix.

Rock Auto
-Hood Strut - $9.67 ea - SACHS Part # SG404018
*** Straight forward. When the hood drops like a rock, it's time for new struts. 5 minute fix. Doesn't get easier that this.
-Tail Lamp Socket - $3.28 ea - DORMAN Part # 923034
*** Open tail gate. Remove two philips head screws from tail light lens. Twist 1/4 turn to install. Easy 5 minute fix.

O'Reilly Auto
-Air Bag Clock Spring - $76.99 - Dorman Part # 525-108
***Detach the Negative battery terminal. Remove the bolts holding the driver side airbag. Detach plugs from wheel. Pull the Steering wheel (you will need a puller that doesn't use bolts screwed into the wheel). Replace the clock spring. Pull the tab. Reassemble steering assembly.

-Dash light - $4.99
Video on accessing dash - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JM_oGK1DVXw

Pick-n-Pull
-Rear door lock - $27.99
*** Pull door panel (car door panel puller is handy). Disconnect two rods from door panel. inside door, disconnect rod from handle to lock. Remove 3 Torx bolts from lock. Pull lock out and disconnect plug from lock. Reverse lock

-Seat Memory not working $0.00
Remember that the door controls systems. Someone tore up the door panel trying to fix the memory (very annoying to have the seat lay down every time you get in). The broken rear door lock kept the memory from working. As soon as the lock was fixed, the memory worked.

-Turn Signal relay - $9.99
Located above the fuse panel. Biggest fuse middle of top row. The video below is excellent to learn how to remove dash components to access this area.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JM_oGK1DVXw

-No A/C fan - $27.00 for resistor + $20 for wiring harness off Amazon
*** The forum was right! Upon inspection the resistor was melted. Previous attempts to fix obviously failed. Tip... The hard wired two wires run over the top of a support and connect to the front of the fan. Depress the connector on opposite side of fan to release. Use the yellow butt connector to reattach the 3 wire harness. Tip... Remove the passenger seat to gain room to work in tight quarters. (longest job of the day)

-Door cards (panels) $30 ea. x2 $60 total
*** Depending on year built they may have the 1 time use connectors. Buy in bulk before you start. They're cheap! (need to find the link)

rdkendrick 09-16-2013 08:01 AM

Hey NOLIMITS, welcome to the forum. Not sure if you know, but wjjeeps.com is a good source of information to go to when needed.

Sent from my iPad using my fingers

nolimitssjca 09-16-2013 01:45 PM

Hey rdkendrick, Thanks for the welcome. I found that site before I bought the WJ. Have definitely used it a bunch already.

KayCeeJeep 09-16-2013 02:55 PM

Wow you are tearing it up! Thanks for posting I'm sure this will help others aside from being just plain interesting to follow.

I'd personally rather have it here as well, but most build threads are on the Grand Cherokee General Discussion forum here:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/

Mods may move it there as well, no matter cause you'll get plenty of subscribers! Good stuff thanks.

nolimitssjca 09-16-2013 05:06 PM

Thanks for the link. Coming to a new forum is a bit link not speaking the local language. I must become fluent in JEEP!

nolimitssjca 09-16-2013 10:07 PM

Today I added 3 cans of 134A. I'll bet this is the first time the old girl has been cool in years!

I also reattached the two rods inside the Driver door... I probably should have done that when it was off yesterday. Oops!

I ordered back glass and tailgate struts. Should be in by the weekend.

Received my gray keyfob.

Ravie 09-17-2013 06:10 AM

A lot of us forum users use photobucket.com to host our pictures and use the IMG links here. The nice thing is...if the forum ever goes down you won't lose your pictures. Plus you don't have to worry about how many posts you've made to post the links.

Sounds like fun! I went through all of that plus a full engine rebuild when I got my 99 WJ with 197k on it. Now I'm upgrading. :-)

The time now is 08:11 AM.