Jeep pulling 4x8 or 5x8 enclosed trailer... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Jeep pulling 4x8 or 5x8 enclosed trailer...

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-03-2013, 10:47 PM   #1
journey50
2002 WJ 

Jeep pulling 4x8 or 5x8 enclosed trailer...

I'm looking to buy a trailer to haul my bike and quad with... I want to get a 5x8 enclosed but I don't know how well the jeep will like pulling an enclosed trailer... Anyone done this or have pics of there wj doing it... Stats are 02 overland 4.7ho with the up country suspension and factory reciever hitch...

journey50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2013, 11:04 PM   #2
TJSWJ
2001 WJ 

You will have no issue, especially with an overland. I pull a 8ft enclosed with my Laredo all the time. Use it to haul my r6, lawn tractors, and about anything else that would require a truck instead of a jeep. Just be sure to turn your overdrive off.
Unread 06-03-2013, 11:12 PM   #3
journey50
2002 WJ 

Yeah that's what I figured... Years ago I hauled a 90 gt from ny to nd on a tow dolly doing like 75 and never had an issue... Didn't know how the jeep would react to the high top of the trailer...
journey50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2013, 11:32 PM   #4
TJSWJ
2001 WJ 

Yeah you dont need to worry, just take it easy on the turns.
Unread 06-04-2013, 06:49 AM   #5
slicvic19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJSWJ View Post
You will have no issue, especially with an overland. I pull a 8ft enclosed with my Laredo all the time. Use it to haul my r6, lawn tractors, and about anything else that would require a truck instead of a jeep. Just be sure to turn your overdrive off.
Just curious, is the reason for turning overdrive off so you're up a gear and have power "on tap" or so it doesn't somehow mess up the transmission?
slicvic19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 08:04 AM   #6
TJSWJ
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic19 View Post
Just curious, is the reason for turning overdrive off so you're up a gear and have power "on tap" or so it doesn't somehow mess up the transmission?
Overdrive is not a pulling gear. The clutches arent ment to hold up to the added stress of pulling. The od clutches are weak in comparison to your normal clutches, IIRC the line pressures are also lower as well. Its even recommended to shut overdive off on steep hill/mountain passes.

Your reason is also correct, but just more of an added benefit.
Unread 06-04-2013, 08:18 AM   #7
KayCeeJeep
2004 WJ 

Turning off the OD will also aid in keeping the tranny temp down, but I highly recommend a tranny cooler for all Dubs whether you're towing or not.
KayCeeJeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.