Jeep knocks on startup, then goes away. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Jeep knocks on startup, then goes away.

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 08-06-2011, 12:56 PM   #16
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

I dunno, maybe since it is posted in here 2-3 times a week. Compared to 2-3 times a year someone posts with a blown-up 4.7.

billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2011, 02:27 PM   #17
skiebuster
2004 WJ 

I would bet that its a cracked piston skirt. Mine did it for 80K miles....it was more noticeable with a fresh oil change. It would come and go, meaning it didn't do it every time on start up. When it started knocking the last time, it did it for 20 miles, then stopped, then did it all the way home from from a field trip.
Next morning I went for coffee and while heading to work, it tapped hard for 10 seconds and the vacuum went. I drove it 8 miles to my shop, parked it and found a 2006 wrangler 4.0 to replace it. My 4.0 had a hole you could place yur fist in....sat for 2 months for me to get ready to swap engines. It started up and drove it into my shop...needless to say, my dad and I were stunned!

We have replaced 3 of the 4.0 engines, all from piston skirts letting go. If its knocking, pull it and slap some really good pistons in it.
skiebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2011, 02:29 PM   #18
skiebuster
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
I'm guessing cracked piston. It's far more common in 4.0s than the 4.0 fans would have you believe.
I agree...read my post! the 99 and up WJ 4.0's have poor skirt design. I bet the factory made them thinner for several reasons...cost, faster revs, MPG and so that the dealer will replace it for a ton of money down the road. lol
skiebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2011, 02:41 PM   #19
shockracer
14,000' WJ

2001 WJ 

Drop your oil pan and have a look, not to pricey to do and you can inspect everything else.
5" hybrid lift, 265/70/17 Guard Dogs load E, bilsteins 5100's, addco sway bars, JKS front quick disco's, JKS adjustable track bar, KOR durometer track bar bushings, IRO crucial path front L.A.s, 1.25" Spidertrax spacers

Colorado Jeep Club Member #262
shockracer is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.