Jeep just shut down while driving - P0320, P1299, & P1391 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Jeep just shut down while driving - P0320, P1299, & P1391

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!

Unread 05-04-2009, 11:48 AM   #1
Nabis
2004 WJ 

Jeep just shut down while driving - P0320, P1299, & P1391

Just driving down the road, and all the power cut. The rpm needle went to max once or twice (although the engine was off). Tried to start it a few times, and would turn over ok, but wouldn't fire. After cranking, it came to life a little while chugging - Seemed to get better with a few minutes of idleing.
Got it back home and parked it for a few days. Started up perfect and idled perfect for a few minutes, so I decided to take it down the road - Only got about a mile, and same thing, just shuts down.
Pulled the codes and this is what I got:
P0320 (M): No Crank Reference Signal at PCM - No reference signal (crankshaft position sensor) detected during engine cranking.
P1299: Vacuum Leak Found (IAC Fully Seated) - MAP Sensor signal does not correlate to Throttle Position Sensor signal. Possible Vacuum Leak.
P1391 (M): Intermittent Loss of CMP or CKP - Loss of the Cam Position Sensor or Crank Position sensor has occurred. For PL 2.0L

Question is, I'm thinking it's the Crank Position Sensor (CKP), which can be had on RockAuto for about $30, but should I also throw more parts at it like the cam position sensor (another $30)? Or is somebody quite certain it's one without the other?
And what about the P1299 error? Was this just a byproduct of one of the other errors, or should I be looking into another sensor (MAP?)

Nabis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2009, 02:55 PM   #2
Brandle
2004 WJ 

Nabis............

It appears to be the Crank/Cam position sensor. Usually testing codes from the bottom up, is the generally a good idea. The last code is usualy the one which activates the other codes.
Brandle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2009, 03:46 PM   #3
Nabis
2004 WJ 

Are you suggesting replacing both sensors? Not that they're terribly expensive, I was just thinking that somebody would know it to be the crank OR cam, not just both. Is there any way to get a detailed code for the P1391, stating a problem with one or the other?
I only got these codes from the on/off method.
Unread 05-04-2009, 06:01 PM   #4
craddock01
1996 ZJ 

Crankshaft sensor probably not both put that one in first.
craddock01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2009, 08:23 AM   #5
Nabis
2004 WJ 

Replaced the crank sensor, and all was good for quite a while (Although is was a serious PITA to change - Made a different thread just for that).
The CEL now came back on, and shows just the P0320. What should I change or look for next? Crank Sensor wires shorting somewhere, Cam sensor, something else?
Unread 07-16-2009, 02:01 PM   #6
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

where did you get the crank sensor? aftermarket sensors don't seem to agree with jeeps.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2009, 10:57 AM   #7
BLKSVT
2004 WJ 

TPS and clock spring cured all my problems...for some reason it affects alot and throws many codes...just my .02
BLKSVT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2009, 06:20 PM   #8
Nabis
2004 WJ 

I'm pretty sure I got the Crank Sensor from Rockauto.
What necessitated replacing the clock spring?.. it's a fairly expensive part, so I'd like to make that my last resort. Is that a common issue/fix?
Although, I plan to replace both the cam sensor and tps soon.
Unread 03-06-2010, 06:54 PM   #9
Rhinoguy
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabis View Post
What necessitated replacing the clock spring?.. it's a fairly expensive part, so I'd like to make that my last resort. Is that a common issue/fix?
Did you get this figured out? I'm having the same issues on my WJ. Replaced the crank sensor (oem), then the cam sensor (aftermarket) Still getting these codes and a bit of stalling, especially in reverse, put it in reverse and it just dies
Rhinoguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2010, 07:56 PM   #10
Matchbox
2003 KJ Liberty 

P9320 code and P1391

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabis View Post
I'm having the same problems iwth my Jeep Liberty. It stalls randomely. Engine light go on sometimes. Always gave me the code P0320 and once it also gave me the code P1391. I just replaced the crankshaft postion sensor (oem), and it stalled 3 times on the way home. The OBE2 said P0320 again only. Does anybody have any itmes what it could be? I don't
Matchbox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2010, 05:53 PM   #11
Rhinoguy
2001 WJ 

I was getting the same codes, replaced crank sensor and cam sensor to no avail. Turned out to be a bad vacuum line from the intake to the manifold. Check the two hoses on either side of the engine that go to the intake. Any kinks or cracks will give crank error
Rhinoguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2010, 10:26 AM   #12
Nabis
2004 WJ 

Good advice, I'll take a look at that.
My GC doesn't get much use, so I'm not sure if the problem is fixed, as the stalling was so intermittent.
Matchbox, did you get yours fixed up?
Unread 02-01-2011, 11:55 PM   #13
autopc25
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I have a 1997 2.5L ,auto.

I got the same symptoms and P0320 first then P1391 second. Ran fine, sputtered, died. Let sit a few minutes and it started up died again. After sitting for another 5-10 minutes it started up and I was able to drive it a mile to a garage and parked it. Anyone figured this out?

I got a Autozone crank position sensor and installed it and it started right up. I asked for a cam position sensor just in case but Autozone did not have one for a 1997 2.5? I had to buy the entire distributor with the sensor in it already. I did not install the distributor yet. I plan on doing it tomorrow in the morning. Anything tricky about replacing the new distributor?
autopc25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2011, 12:50 PM   #14
dainger_us

03 Jeep Liberty stalling and tack jumping!!

Our 03 Jeep Liberty will usually start and run fine for about 10 minutes, then it stalls out while going down the road and the RPM gauge bounces?? if we let it sit for about 10 minutes then it will run for another 10 minutes before doing the same thing. Sometimes after it dies and we try and start it we can smell gas or something!! any help??
dainger_us is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2011, 09:02 PM   #15
autopc25
1997 TJ Wrangler 

My problem was a bad crank position sensor. The wire for it was dangling and touching the exhaust. There was a very small spot where it was melted through the rubber insulation to the bare wire. It was very hard to see the melted wire.
autopc25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.