Jeep got hot driving on mildly hilly highway - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Jeep got hot driving on mildly hilly highway

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 07-16-2013, 07:20 PM   #1
justn
2002 WJ 

Wj Jeep got hot driving on mildly hilly highway

Part way into my drive back from the beach I notice my jeep is running a little warmer than usual. The temp kept increasing until it got a hair over 210 and I stopped and let it cool down.

When that was happening the blower motor was running, but I didn't have the AC on.

I let it cool for about 45 minutes and then continued on my way home with the AC and blower motor completely off. It ran what seemed slightly warmer than usual, but never touched 210.

When I got back in town I tried the AC again and the temp immediately went up to 210, so I turned it off to prevent it getting any hotter, with it off the temp went back down to a few hairs under 210 where it was running on my drive home.

I'm just happy I made it back without it overheating.

When cold, the coolant level is at the add mark.

This morning I idled it in my driveway for a good 30 minutes with the AC on. The temp never hit 210.

My electric fan seems to be working fine, as it was spinning while I had it idling this morning.

One other thing to note is that my girlfriend hit the top of her foot on this under the dash on the passenger side and said it was really hot.

Could that have anything do with the overheating? And what exactly is it?

Thanks guys!

Unread 07-16-2013, 07:39 PM   #2
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

New radiator. The hot area is taking up the job until you replace the radiator. Not difficult but possibly needed. Plenty of support for the issue you are facing.

In reality though, going to 210 is actually normal op temp. Even a little more is OK. Continuing to climb is the issue. No burning platform yet but plan for the fix soon as you can.
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 07:55 PM   #3
justn
2002 WJ 

Good to know. When it when over 210 it went over just a bit. It was basically the inverse of where my Jeep has normally ran (if that makes any sense).
Unread 07-16-2013, 10:04 PM   #4
justn
2002 WJ 

Also, what exactly is that I have circled. I'm assuming it has to do with the heater.
Unread 07-16-2013, 11:34 PM   #5
Jer-Bear
2002 WJ 

The circled spot is where the heater core is at in the HVAC box. I'm assuming your engine got too hot and it made that hot as a result. I'd try pressure testing the radiator to check for leaks, and if you're leaning coolant its probably the radiator. Those Chrysler radiators don't last.
Unread 07-17-2013, 06:45 AM   #6
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

Jer brings up a great point.... if the Heater Core is actually leaking, that plastic area would possibly contain coolant in it (also get very hot) and you may also find coolant under the carpet on the pasenger side footwell.

Pull back the carpet & report back on what you find.
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.