jeep all over the road - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > jeep all over the road

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 01-25-2014, 05:55 PM   #1
DMan69
2000 WJ 

jeep all over the road

My 2000 GC seems to get a mind of its own sometimes when going down the road. Going straight on a mostly level road and the thing starts to "walk" left or right, either way at any time, get it back straight let go the steering wheel and it stays straight. Any ideas?

DMan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2014, 06:14 PM   #2
indept
2000 WJ 

Don't drink as much next time...

Is the front end tight, Tie rods etc?
Unread 01-25-2014, 06:51 PM   #3
DMan69
2000 WJ 

I just had the outer tie rod replaced on the driver's side. pass side is fine. I may take it back to the shop that aligned it and have them recheck it.
Unread 01-28-2014, 05:58 PM   #4
berndog67
2003 WJ 

can be many many things, track bar, tie rod ends, drag link ends, wheel bearings, steering box, control arm bushings, etc... for the track bar its easiest to have a buddy start it and turn it back and forth and check for any movement, for the tie rod and wheel bearings jack it up and try twisting the tire up and down and left to right can usually show u worn components, the steering box is usually less common to go bad, and for the control arm bushings its best to check by taking them off, but u can do the quick accel and let off technique and if it pulls to one side then its usually the rear control arm bushings on the same side it pulled towards. this list is just a few things for u to look for, just check everything over several times and see what u can find, usually its either obvious whats wrong or you'll know what isnt wrong, which can leave u with less things to check and lead u in the right direction
2003 WJ Overland, 4.7HO, D30 & D44A (1 tons going in now!), RC Long Arm, lifted 4" Front 6" Rear, RC 2.2 4" Shocks, JKS track bar, custom hi-steer, 35" Procomp M/T's on JK rims, beefed up Overland rock rails, custom skids and dif gaurds, Rugged Ridge 8500 synthetic winch in custom hidden mount
berndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2014, 06:10 AM   #5
Matrixxxx
2001 WJ 

simple checks are :same tyres/ make /tread depth/ pressure ( critical ).
the other quick check is to have some one wiggle the steering while you look underneath an see what moves before the wheels do.
Matrixxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2014, 07:33 AM   #6
greenwj
2004 WJ 

I had a "wandering" issue and here is my experience:

New ball joints (Front were bad, back wasn't but replaced anyway) = didn't help
New TRE (old ones weren't too bad) = didn't help
Rear upper control arm bushings (weren't bad) = didn't help
Front Upper control arm bushings (kinda bad) = didn't help
Adco rear swaybar = didn't help
Alignment = helped some
Front track bar bushing (wasn't bad, replaced with poly)= helped a little

What finally did the trick:

I pulled the track bar to replace it with a JKS adjustable track bar (with KOR bushings). While I was doing that, I noticed that the track bar bolts didn't fit snugly in the bushing or in the mounts. The mounts were basically reamed out. I took a 1/2 drill bit and drilled them out and then installed 1/2 in grade 8 bolts. It made a huge difference. It was about $7 to do this and took about 15 minutes. Next time, that is where I would start first.

Now, I can't be 100% sure it was the bolts and not the KOR bushings, but the other Poly bushing I had in there were pretty tough too (Energy Suspensions) and I am 99% sure that it wasn't the bushing after seeing how over sized the bolt holes were.

Everyone says to look under there while someone moves the steering wheel, but I just couldn't see any movement. When I did the track bar bushing the first time, I didn't bother to look at how snug the bolts fit. I just used the big impact gun to torque the snot out of them. I just didn't think that they could move around with that much torque on them.

You might be asking why I replaced so many good parts. Well, I found it really difficult to tell if the bushings (etc.) were bad until I had them off of the vehicle. So, I just replaced them to be sure.
greenwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2014, 04:58 PM   #7
DMan69
2000 WJ 

thank you all, some great advice and I have a solid starting place -- the track bar bushings bolts -- I greatly appreciate it
I will let you know what I find out the issue is, once I find it that is which wont be until after we thaw out some here.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.