issue with starting - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > issue with starting

New Vendor - ARTEC Industries Battery MountsComplete Axle Options Expanded !!!! ECGSNEW Smittybilt Gen 2 9.5 winch at JeepHut.com

Unread 09-23-2013, 12:24 PM   #1
scrambled
2006 LJ Wrangler 

issue with starting

The other week I didn't drive the Grand for about two days. I did however move it in my driveway. I went to start it the next day and it was completely dead, no electronics worked or anything. No lights or anything was left on. I couldn't get it jumped with my wrangler with an optima. It sat while I was on vacation. I jumped it today and it starts and runs as long as you are on the gas. Once you let up it dies and wont start.

It happened so quick I am confused. Do you guys think its the battery, alternator or something else? I had both tested about 5 months ago.

I was having a problem with my auto headlights coming on randomly with no key in the WJ and it being locked for an hour or so. I have no idea if this is an electrical gremlin or something else. I also don't know if this is related. I am getting no codes, or warnings.

Any ideas? A huge thanks in advance.

Unread 09-23-2013, 12:35 PM   #2
MattJeep
Web Wheeler
2003 WJ 

Check battery connections. Clean and/or replace. Replace battery if suspect.
MattJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 05:05 PM   #3
scrambled
2006 LJ Wrangler 

connections are good, I need to check the battery.
Unread 09-24-2013, 10:41 PM   #4
miami5th
2001 WJ 

man I was chasing down strange electrical and no-start no crank no power nothing type issues for several months. Turned to be really bad battery cable connections and a crappy battery that was supposedly purchased last winter. I re-did the cable ends/adapters and I no longer have those sporadic no start/electrical problems.
miami5th is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 11:23 PM   #5
nolimitssjca
1999 WJ 

A loose or poorly connected battery is harder to diagnose than you might think. Frequently that negative can be on the post and appear tight, but there really isn't a connection. You may see dome lights come on but not have enough power to start it.

Clean the terminals then spray on some terminal lubricant. Lay the foundation to assure you have good connection. Then move on to the next trouble shooting step.
1970 Chevy C-20 350, 2002 Kawasaki Vulcan
nolimitssjca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2013, 12:42 PM   #6
new2site
2002 WJ 

If your WJ Limited has the 4.0 take the battery out of your Wrangler and try it out in WJ.

(**Make sure your Wrangler battery isn't on the tall side....or if it is...don't shut the hood on the WJ...the WJ's have barely any space between the battery terminals and the hood..don't want you to dent your hood....seen it done before.)

The PCM's are sensitive in the WJ's ..if the battery isn't spot-on with a full charge they'll do what yours is doing - start up but run sputtery...mine did it ...battery wasn't that low....replaced battery > problem solved!
Low voltage causes a glitch in the PCM on that individual startup...if you reset the PCM and get it to start up next time it might start/run fine...until next episode.

Your battery's resting voltage should be 12.6 or higher.
new2site is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2013, 12:13 PM   #7
new2site
2002 WJ 

Status? Update?
new2site is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.