Issue after IRO install - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Issue after IRO install

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!

Unread 12-14-2013, 03:03 PM   #1
04WJSEV8

Issue after IRO install

Installed the IRO 3" probably a month ago. After a little over 100 miles i made sure everything was still tight and got an alignment. After the alignment i brought it home and made sure everything was tight again. Shortly after that i took the jeep to a little spot down the road to get her muddy. As soon as the jeep touched dirt it started clunking in the front. Back out on pavement it stopped. As the days went on it started doing it on pavement. Again i crawled under to make sure everything was tight. Sure enough, it was.

I had my brother crawl under and check everything while i moved the jeep around. What he found was the track bar moving on the frame end of it. The track bar is 100% tight and won't tighten at all, even with a impact gun.

How can i get this darn thing to stop moving on the bolt so this clunking stops?

04WJSEV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2013, 03:17 PM   #2
skain8
Under Construction

2002 WJ 

The hole is probably wallowed. Drill out to a larger size or washer weld it.

'02 WJ: 4.7L, 5", HP44/9", 231HD, tall & skinny KM2's
'99 XJ: stock
'99 XJ: stolen
'06 XK: sold
231HD build guide
skain8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2013, 03:43 PM   #3
04WJSEV8

its a brand new adjustable track bar from IRO. The bar is moving on the bolt. How would welding a washer in help anything?
Unread 12-14-2013, 04:47 PM   #4
its-me-B
2002 WJ 

It's not the bar its the brackets the bar mounts to that's what slaink8 suggesting....pull the bar off that side and look at the holes the bolt goes through chances are they are not circular anymore. If they are not you can weld the proper size washers on the outside of the brackets to stop the bolt from clunking. Or drill the hole out a size bigger and get a bigger bolt if you don't have access to a welder.
Zombie Outbreak Response Unit #396
its-me-B is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2013, 04:56 PM   #5
04WJSEV8

It's not the bolt moving though. It's the bar itself moving on the bolt
Unread 12-14-2013, 05:04 PM   #6
skain8
Under Construction

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04WJSEV8 View Post
It's not the bolt moving though. It's the bar itself moving on the bolt
Bushing deflection? You sure? Did you use an aftermarket or OE bolt? How much slop with the bolt in the sleeve?

231HD build guide
Unread 12-14-2013, 05:30 PM   #7
04WJSEV8

the OE bolt. the original. i thought they would've sent new hardware....but i thought wrong. i honestly don't know how much it moves. i can't move the jeep and look by myself. but i can lightly rock the jeep by grabbing the roof rack and it'll knock.
Unread 12-16-2013, 03:00 PM   #8
04WJSEV8

Nobody else?
Unread 12-16-2013, 06:06 PM   #9
skain8
Under Construction

2002 WJ 

If its the bolt, why can't you simply remove the OE bolt, and try a larger size? You'll have to drill out the welded nut to do this. If its a stock replacement, I don't understand why there is slop in the sleeve, as you're suggesting is the issue. Did you contact IRO? And why don't you lay underneath your jeep and your buddy can turn the wheel? See for yourself what is going on.

231HD build guide
Unread 12-18-2013, 08:29 PM   #10
04WJSEV8

I was trying to figure it out without contacting IRO. I'm kind of stubborn like that I guess. I crawled under it today and not a single thing moved. Not even the track bar like I had stated it was before. BUT, when I was taking it off the jack stands, one side compressed and the spring made a noise that sounded like it seated (was definitely already seated before). Put it on the ground, grabbed the rack and rocked it. No noise. Awesome right? WRONG! Now the noise is on slight bumps, like seams in the pavement, or sharp turns left and right.
Unread 12-19-2013, 02:36 AM   #11
Tollmtn
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04WJSEV8 View Post
I was trying to figure it out without contacting IRO. I'm kind of stubborn like that I guess. I crawled under it today and not a single thing moved. Not even the track bar like I had stated it was before. BUT, when I was taking it off the jack stands, one side compressed and the spring made a noise that sounded like it seated (was definitely already seated before). Put it on the ground, grabbed the rack and rocked it. No noise. Awesome right? WRONG! Now the noise is on slight bumps, like seams in the pavement, or sharp turns left and right.
Check the clearance between the track bar and the differential. IRO's track bars lacks the bend for differential clearance that your OEM bar had. Not to long ago there was a thread on here about an IRO track bar hitting the differential and clunking going over bumps. You will find it in the thread linked below, read post #7. Check post #11 for some pictures of the difference in the bends. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...ength-1570680/
Tollmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2013, 06:20 AM   #12
PeteYJTJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

FWIW, I found that my IRO adj track bar had movement on the frame end, and I could see the bushings move. I put in the KOR super-ultra-mega-whatever bushings, and I find the Jeep is more solid up front. I was having a hard time keeping grease in the bushings though, and was getting some stick-slip noises from the bushings -- the fit is so tight with the parts that when you grease it and put it together, it just wipes off the grease. :| But I've had it apart a few times now and it seems better, maybe it's settling in.

I think the IRO bushings are a bit too soft.

Good luck,
Pete
Unread 12-19-2013, 06:30 AM   #13
texlurch
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteYJTJ View Post
I think the IRO bushings are a bit too soft.

Good luck,
Pete
That seems to be the consensus over the years.
Colorado Jeep Club Member #383
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2013, 01:35 PM   #14
Notabene
2004 WJ 

Yes, I have firmer track bar bushings that require lube often. Or it squeaks a lot.

Might be the track bar squeaking.
Notabene is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2013, 01:51 PM   #15
veiri86

2003 WJ 

I think it is the front sway bar bushings, check them and make sure that they are greased very well

01' 4.7 Limited WJ 5" lifted, Rubicon Express 4.5" coil springs with IRO critical path setup and Bilstien 5100 shocks all around, JKS adjustable Trackbar (KOR bushings), JKS HD tie rod (MOOG problem solver Ends), JKS HD drag link (Moog Probel solver Ends), 4.56 Yukon ring and pinion, Moog HD SSD107 Steering Stabilizer, IRO Front drive shaft conversion, Stillen slotted rotors all around with Stillen brake pads, IRO adjustable A-Arm, 3" all the way Kolak Exhaust with High flow Magnaflow Cat. Converter and Flowmaster Super 50 Muffler, 285/70R17 AT Kumho (33") on 17" BlackWheel rims 909B, K&N Cold air intake, Four nozzles Bosch injectors, and Flashpaq 3780.

03' 4.7 H.O WJ 3" lifted, OME HD with 0.5" Coil spacers and Bilstien 5100 shocks all around, JKS adjustable Trackbar (KOR bushings), Moog Problem solver TRE's, IRO Front drive shaft conversion, IRO adjustable A-Arm, High flow magnaflow mini cats, high flow magnaflow cat, Flowmaster Super 44 muffler, 265/65R17 AT Yokohama on 17" Rays rims, and Flashpaq 3780
veiri86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.