IRO Critical Path install - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > IRO Critical Path install

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4

Unread 03-23-2013, 10:48 AM   #1
TheSiltSurfer
2012 WK 

Ill be getting this kit soon & have some questions.
1) it appears the control arm brackets attach on top of the crossmember? If this is true then the crossmember will now hang even lower
2) I'm contemplating getting the HD crossmember since it sits 2" higher and I'm hoping running it with the IRO kit.
3) IRO claims hd crossmember won't work with stock exhaust- BUT since I'm installing it with the IRO kit it should fit with stock exhaust since the control arm brackets will lower it some as well.
4) do I have to remove the coils for install? I'd rather not use the provided cylinder coil retainers but instead use the lower retainers IRO sells
Thanks Guys! Photos provided
http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch...egory_Code=PFW

image-1177644342.jpg   image-2213736881.jpg   image-3941985658.jpg   image-96785556.jpg   image-875187014.jpg  

image-1048067946.jpg   image-1913546193.jpg  
Unread 03-23-2013, 10:57 AM   #2
Umbrella
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSiltSurfer View Post
3) IRO claims hd crossmember won't work with stock exhaust- BUT since I'm installing it with the IRO kit it should fit with stock exhaust since the control arm brackets will lower it some as well.
From your link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRO Website
NOTE: This subframe does fit with all stock exhaust systems. Because the high clearance crossmember was designed from the ground up, and 2" of gain was the goal, slightly less exhaust clearance is available. Custom exhaust may or may not have to be modified, depending on where it is located, reletive to stock exhaust. Again, all stock exhaust will fit!!
You misread, it works fine with stock exhaust.

“If a little is great, and a lot is better, then way too much is just about right!” Mae West
Umbrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2013, 10:59 AM   #3
BLACK04WJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

1: yes by 1/4" the pic you posted has a TC drop kit installed.. dont use it!
2: is that a question? i say get it
3: exhaust should be fine
4: the retainers are for holding the spring in place when articulating. you dont have to remove the spring for install.

I can take pics later of anything you want, just let me know!
BLACK04WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2013, 11:00 AM   #4
TheSiltSurfer
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbrella

From your link.

NOTE: This subframe does fit with all stock exhaust systems. Because the high clearance crossmember was designed from the ground up, and 2" of gain was the goal, slightly less exhaust clearance is available. Custom exhaust may or may not have to be modified, depending on where it is located, reletive to stock exhaust. Again, all stock exhaust will fit!!

You misread, it works fine with stock exhaust.
Excellent! I enjoy being wrong on this stuff, as long as it works fine with this kit then awesome news I don't want my crossmember hanging so darn low
Unread 03-23-2013, 11:12 AM   #5
TheSiltSurfer
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK04WJ
1: yes by 1/4" the pic you posted has a TC drop kit installed.. dont use it!
2: is that a question? i say get it
3: exhaust should be fine
4: the retainers are for holding the spring in place when articulating. you dont have to remove the spring for install.

I can take pics later of anything you want, just let me know!
Awesome man thanks again, hopefully ill get it ordered by Monday and possibly so work next Sunday how long did it take you i will have a second hand when doing this. Can't wait to get it the highway speeds and around town are killing me on short arms at 4" up front, terrible alignment with caster and so bouncy around town. Just need it to be smooth
Unread 03-23-2013, 11:14 AM   #6
TheSiltSurfer
2012 WK 

Also at 4" up front do I even need the adjustable arms? I'm hoping the fixed ones with the caster adjustment will be enough to dial in alignment ect. Thanks
Unread 03-23-2013, 11:36 AM   #7
BLACK04WJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

install took about 7 hours with a post lift and all the power tools I could think of you should be fine with non-adjustable arms. the adjustable ones allow you to move the axle forward or back
Unread 03-23-2013, 12:13 PM   #8
TheSiltSurfer
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK04WJ
install took about 7 hours with a post lift and all the power tools I could think of you should be fine with non-adjustable arms. the adjustable ones allow you to move the axle forward or back
I'm doing just the front arms and brackets hopefully I can knock it out in less time but then again there's always the learning curve where one side takes longer
Unread 03-23-2013, 12:24 PM   #9
BLACK04WJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

just buy a really good drill bit and it will go fast
Unread 03-23-2013, 12:26 PM   #10
shockracer
14,000' WJ

2001 WJ 

Had taken me about 4 hours dealing a cheap drill bit and an underpowered drill.

FYI, don't lose the tapped inserts inside the frame rails, not fun trying to get it back.
5" hybrid lift, 265/70/17 Guard Dogs load E, bilsteins 5100's, addco sway bars, JKS front quick disco's, JKS adjustable track bar, KOR durometer track bar bushings, IRO crucial path front L.A.s, 1.25" Spidertrax spacers

Colorado Jeep Club Member #262
shockracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2013, 12:35 PM   #11
TheSiltSurfer
2012 WK 

Ok good 7/16 drill bit check! Please elaborate on the tape on frame rails?? Also I'm reading the instructions on 1/2-2.0 thread hand tape what's the all about? Thanks again I'm sure we will nail it
Also after reading instructions second time through it sounds like 13) bracket install inserting the nuts through the hole in frame rails is going to be a Beatrice how much room is there to deal with down there lining up the bolt and nuts & how do you torque them down with nuts being in frame rail? Can you fit a wrench in there? Thanks guys
Unread 03-23-2013, 03:12 PM   #12
perfeng702
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Ok good 7/16 drill bit check! Please elaborate on the tape on frame rails?? Also I'm reading the instructions on 1/2-2.0 thread hand tape what's the all about? Thanks again I'm sure we will nail it
Also after reading instructions second time through it sounds like 13) bracket install inserting the nuts through the hole in frame rails is going to be a Beatrice how much room is there to deal with down there lining up the bolt and nuts & how do you torque them down with nuts being in frame rail? Can you fit a wrench in there? Thanks guys
the hand tap is for tapping the upper perch to install the long tube spring retainers.

there are no nuts for the frame rail. it's actually a threaded plate. each plate has 2 holes. they are inserted into the rail and then the bolts screw into them.

watch this video for more info

Unread 03-23-2013, 03:46 PM   #13
shockracer
14,000' WJ

2001 WJ 

Quote:
What you referring to as "nuts" is what I'm talking about, they are a rectangular pieace of metal that have threaded holes on each end. The first one I pushed in the hole slide down past the cross member bolt holes.

The flanges that you mount between the cross member and frame is about a 1/4" thick so it will drop it down just a hair.
5" hybrid lift, 265/70/17 Guard Dogs load E, bilsteins 5100's, addco sway bars, JKS front quick disco's, JKS adjustable track bar, KOR durometer track bar bushings, IRO crucial path front L.A.s, 1.25" Spidertrax spacers

Colorado Jeep Club Member #262
shockracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2013, 03:46 PM   #14
TheSiltSurfer
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfeng702

the hand tap is for tapping the upper perch to install the long tube spring retainers.

there are no nuts for the frame rail. it's actually a threaded plate. each plate has 2 holes. they are inserted into the rail and then the bolts screw into them.

watch this video for more info

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baZcJ-2GsEE
Thanks for that link should help out for sure
Unread 03-23-2013, 03:47 PM   #15
TheSiltSurfer
2012 WK 

Just pulled the trigger on this kit!!! Big thanks to Kolak!!! Nick is the man

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.