IOWA - Idiots Out Wandering Around - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > IOWA - Idiots Out Wandering Around

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 12-13-2010, 01:54 AM   #1
towerdude
1980 CJ7 

Wj IOWA - Idiots Out Wandering Around

Hey Jeepers! I am on vacation this week and looking to take my WJ out to play in the snow. Any suggestions within 100-200 miles of Waterloo Iowa? Anyone wanna go? I am mainly wanting to go to get some sweet pics of the WJ in action. I have boatloads of pics of my CJ and very few of my DD

img_20101212_153300.jpg  

2004 WJ Limited - "Total Eclipse" - 4" RC Lift, 265/70/17 Cooper ST's, 4.7L, Huge stereo, Roof Rack, Smittybilt 98281 XRC 8 Comp Series Black Winch with Synthetic Rope and Aluminum Fairlead mounted on reciever plate.
towerdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2010, 11:35 AM   #2
towerdude
1980 CJ7 

Wj Nobody?!!!

Not one person here has a suggestion of where to go for some fun in the snow around the mid west?

2004 WJ Limited - "Total Eclipse" - 4" RC Lift, 265/70/17 Cooper ST's, 4.7L, Huge stereo, Roof Rack, Smittybilt 98281 XRC 8 Comp Series Black Winch with Synthetic Rope and Aluminum Fairlead mounted on reciever plate.
Unread 12-13-2010, 11:38 AM   #3
AustinCJer
u mad, bro?

1978 CJ7 

Youre in Iowa. Thats like asking wheres a good place to go snow skiing in Mexico.

Shameless plug: www.davidisabeersnob.com

My CJ7 Build Thread
AustinCJer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2010, 11:41 AM   #4
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Cliffs Insane Terrain is 240 some miles from Waterloo, but is closed until January 1. The Badlands Offroad Park is over 300 miles from Waterloo but is open 363 days a year.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2010, 11:58 AM   #5
nickc50310

There is nothing in the area unless you join a club. I used to have a few places I went around Des Moines but those are all blocked and gated off now.
nickc50310 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2010, 12:36 PM   #6
smunns

If you were closer, I'd say come wheeling with some of us out in Western Nebraska this weekend. That would be a long trip though!
smunns is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2010, 12:48 PM   #7
towerdude
1980 CJ7 

Wj Thanks guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickc50310 View Post
There is nothing in the area unless you join a club. I used to have a few places I went around Des Moines but those are all blocked and gated off now.
I have a spot 500 yards from my house and another about 12 miles away but both places require a second vehicle because you ARE gonna get stuck. Not buried but they have some tight spots where ya might need a tug to jump a rut or something. I am just looking for some place new to explore.

Unread 12-13-2010, 12:51 PM   #8
towerdude
1980 CJ7 

Wj Long Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by smunns View Post
If you were closer, I'd say come wheeling with some of us out in Western Nebraska this weekend. That would be a long trip though!
Yeah that is quite a haul. I may shoot ya a message in January over Martin Luther King weekend (3 day weekend for me) cause I am heading to Colorado. I will be back that way again over Easter also.

Unread 12-13-2010, 12:58 PM   #9
towerdude
1980 CJ7 

This is where having my front hitch installed would be really helpful. Then I could just use my winch front and rear.

Unread 12-13-2010, 01:01 PM   #10
smunns

Quote:
Originally Posted by towerdude View Post
Yeah that is quite a haul. I may shoot ya a message in January over Martin Luther King weekend (3 day weekend for me) cause I am heading to Colorado. I will be back that way again over Easter also.
Definitely. We have some private land to wheel on just outside of Lincoln that we've built a small rock garden on, and some other spots in the canyons out in western Nebraska. Private land is about all we have in NE.
Unread 12-14-2010, 04:41 PM   #11
wj4play
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Hey Jeepers! I am on vacation this week and looking to take my WJ out to play in the snow. Any suggestions within 100-200 miles of Waterloo Iowa? Anyone wanna go? I am mainly wanting to go to get some sweet pics of the WJ in action. I have boatloads of pics of my CJ and very few of my DD
Hey just saw this, I too have a hard time besides level B roads finding somewhere in Iowa. have you tried a group called mioabi or jocci They have land in Iowa.

My WJ is on blocks getting fenders trimmed right now and plow put back on.. U joints are next...

Nice ride you got there

Last edited by wj4play; 12-14-2010 at 04:48 PM.. Reason: wholly crap i cant speeelll
wj4play is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2010, 04:46 PM   #12
wj4play
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Ever think about going to GSW? or the Jeep Easter Weekend in Moab?? I think that would be fun. I also heard about a place up north/east Iowa. Private land but carter to offroading . If I run accross it I will let you know

James
Unread 12-14-2010, 05:01 PM   #13
smunns

Quote:
Originally Posted by wj4play View Post
Ever think about going to GSW? or the Jeep Easter Weekend in Moab?? I think that would be fun. I also heard about a place up north/east Iowa. Private land but carter to offroading . If I run accross it I will let you know

James
Easter Jeep Safari is THE event to go to. I will be making the trek with a couple other Jeeps again this year.
Unread 12-14-2010, 05:20 PM   #14
wj4play
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

I would LOVE to go with a few folks from around here, also have pre-approval from wify Just need to savew for the trip and breaking things. Maybe this year or next... Do you haul your rigs down? Camping?
Unread 12-14-2010, 05:29 PM   #15
smunns

In the past, I've rode along with some guys that tow their built Wranglers down. It's the way to go if you have the ability to tow your rig. I plan on driving my WJ this year since it's not too extremely built yet. I usually rent a condo, but there's some others in the group that camp at the local RV parks. If you plan on going this year, book a place to stay asap. It fills up fast! We booked our condo back in September. I'll be out there April 20/21-24th.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.