Intro and Power Steering System Hydraulic Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Intro and Power Steering System Hydraulic Question

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueBest deals on Yukon Gears at JeepHut.comNeed Ace Engineering products? JeepHut has you covered.

Unread 07-15-2012, 05:10 PM   #1
ducboy
2003 WJ 

Wj Intro and Power Steering System Hydraulic Question

Hi everyone,

Been a long time lurker on here as my wife has had 2 WJs since 1999.
Her 2002 SE V8 was totaled about a year ago so she got a new WK2 and I got a 2003 Overland.

Been replacing the power steering system on my (Overland with 179k miles) with new hydraulic fan assembly, new Mopar steering box and a new pump (napa). Also new high pressure hoses. (2003 Overland V8 HO 4wd).

I have done this work before on my wife's 2002 with no issues.
Yesterday I started through the fluid bleeding process with no issues except the dreaded airbag light.

After some clockspring troubleshooting (another story) I put it all back together and now I have had the low pressure return hose from the fan motor to the pump blow off the fitting 3 times.

So the question is, has anyone run into this and/or any ideas of what might be going on here.

thanks in advance,
Ed

ducboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2012, 05:41 PM   #2
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

System overfilled? Sounds like it's building an abnormal amount of pressure in the reservoir for some reason. Is that the return connection (to reservoir) with the crimp-on fitting or the one with the constant tension clamp? I just had mine apart yesterday.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2012, 05:55 PM   #3
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

The crimp ring hose should be the return from the fan. Are you using a worm gear hose clamp on it?
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2012, 06:02 PM   #4
ducboy
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
System overfilled? Sounds like it's building an abnormal amount of pressure in the reservoir for some reason. Is that the return connection (to reservoir) with the crimp-on fitting or the one with the constant tension clamp? I just had mine apart yesterday.
This is the return from the fan to the bottom of the reservoir. It is the constant tension clamp return line. The original constant tension clamps are being used
and I even tried tightening the one up a bit.

I had not considered overfill, I suppose that is a possibility, not sure how that mechanism blows the return line off. I was also under the impression (perhaps wrong) that the connection to the reservoir has a relief port of sorts.

getting tired of cleaning power steering fluid. I am considering hose replacement and new clamps.

Thanks for the responses so far.
Unread 07-15-2012, 06:15 PM   #5
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

The fan return is a crimp ring. Not a spring clamp. I think that barrel it attaches to is a internal filter

The spring clamp belongs on the hose higher up the tank coming from the heat exchanger. How did you reuse the crimp ring hose clamp.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2012, 06:39 PM   #6
ducboy
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86cj74.2L View Post
The fan return is a crimp ring. Not a spring clamp. I think that barrel it attaches to is a internal filter

The spring clamp belongs on the hose higher up the tank coming from the heat exchanger. How did you reuse the crimp ring hose clamp.
Based on what I have seen with two different cars, the crimp clamp is the fluid cooler return to the reservoir, and the constant tension clamp is for the fan return to the reservoir port with the (as you mention) filter.

I did not reuse the crimp clamp, that is now a hose clamp.
The manual (although difficult to see supports this.
Unread 07-15-2012, 08:14 PM   #7
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Well, if overfilled, there won't be any ability to expand as the fluid heats. Note that the dipstick has an H and a C marking - the C is barely at the tip of the dipstick. The cap has a certain level of pressure relief I believe (based on the spring built into the cap) but do you think an oil-soaked hose with an original constant-tension clamp is going to hold up to whatever pressure it takes to pop the cap? Probably not. Hose replacement is probably the safest bet, to get a clean, non-oily mate between reservoir and hose, then with a new clamp. But first I would just be 100% sure that you aren't overfilling and building up too much pressure and popping the hose that way.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.