Intermittent TPS problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Intermittent TPS problem

ENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTIEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippSmittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 12-11-2009, 10:17 AM   #1
slimjts
2003 WJ 

Intermittent TPS problem

New to the forums did some browsing & got some questions answered (thanks!) but still have issues.

2003 WJ 4.0 laredo. Got it used in 2007 now has 152,XXX on it.

Problem: CEL came on about a month ago w/ codes P0122 & P0123. Replaced the TPS & cleaned out the throttle body at the same time. Worked fine for all of a week then the same codes came on. Part came w/ a 2 year warranty so I returned it & replaced w/ new one & same thing.

95% of the time there is no problem. Other times the throttle will surge when cruising, but not during idle or acceleration. Surging happens when I go over a bump (RR tracks) sometimes and it needs more gas when in reverse or it will die out.

Figured it's a wiring issue, but played around with the wires at the throttle body and nothing changed with the idle until I had completely unplugged it. I do not have a voltmeter so I cannot comment on that, yet. This is where I'm at now, stuck.

thanks in advance!

slimjts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2009, 10:47 AM   #2
nicksmama

chek the PCM

I have a 2003 GC 4.0. Had problems last year with "hicupping" When I would go over bumps the speedo and tach would drop and then pop up. It would die when I shifted into reverse. Can't remember the codes I got, but I replaced the CPS, TPS, fuel pump, air idle control, O2 sensor. Finally unplugged the PCM and replugged it plugged it back in, and the problems went away. Do a search on how to do this properly. Hope this works for you.
nicksmama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2009, 08:43 AM   #3
slimjts
2003 WJ 

Thanks for the help. Had time over the weekend & did what you suggested. It ran fine while driving for all of 10 minutes. Stopped @ a stop light & the CEL came back on...

Throwing code P0122 now & still randomly surges when driving @ cruise speeds (55-60). Stalling in reverse not a problem now, but not enough driving to be sure. MAP sensor, IAC?

Last edited by slimjts; 12-14-2009 at 11:34 AM..
Unread 01-06-2010, 12:08 PM   #4
slimjts
2003 WJ 

An update of sorts.

I checked it out w/ a voltmeter & indeed the voltage was low (followed the guidelines in the Haynes book, voltmeter read 1.8)

Was still having problems & brought it to the dealer (at my wits ends) for them to check it out. They ran it through diagnostics (which only told them what I already knew) and then they said I had a bad TPS connector and they replaced it. They drove it & everything checked out fine.

I drove it to run some errands and it was fine on the highway (about 20 miles) and then, when sitting at an off ramp the CEL came back on w/ code P0122, but there was no issues with it running rough. On the way back home it began the surging while cruising issue again and I'm back at square one.

It is going down the same path as when I followed nicksmama suggestion. It will get progressively worse & over time it will begin to throw code p0123. Hoping not a PCM, but I don't know where else to turn right now.
Unread 01-06-2010, 12:26 PM   #5
ezflip

2002 WJ 

Check the connections on the PCM also check the soldier joints inside the PCM. If you are a decent soldierer, or know someone who is, they can be fixed. It would be my guess that a capacitor came loose in the PCM. Fairly common problem.

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread
ezflip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2010, 12:42 AM   #6
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

How are you checking the tps with the voltmeter?you need to check the sweep, not the voltage at one position.

At idle it should be .4-.8v and at WOT it should be about 4.5v. The voltage should increase smoothly from idle to wot with no dips or spikes. Sounds like you're not using a OEM sensor to me though and it's bad.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2010, 07:45 AM   #7
slimjts
2003 WJ 

I was following the Hayne's book. I don't have it in front of me in the moment, but the directions told me to test the voltage at the connector w/ it unplugged and the key turned to on, but with the engine off. Voltage should be around 5.0 at this point. That's what I did and I got a reading of 1.8.

I misplaced my pins to back-probe it, so I haven't gotten the chance to try the sweep, but if it's low right from the get-go & unplugged would it really be the tps? This is why I'm stumped.

You are correct though, it isn't a Mopar tps.
Unread 01-07-2010, 03:04 PM   #8
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

1 wire is 5v constant, 1 wire is sensor return, 1 wire is ground. doing it that way doesn't really tell you much of anything at all.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2010, 03:32 PM   #9
slimjts
2003 WJ 

Directly from the repair manual:

"3 Before checking the throttle position sensor, check the voltage supply and ground circuits from the PCM. Disconnect the electrical connector from the TPS. On all except 4.7L V8 models, connect the positive lead of a voltmeter to terminal number three and the negative lead to terminal number one of the harness connector... Turn the ignition key On - the voltage should read approximately 5.0 volts. If the voltage is incorrect, check the wiring from the TPS to the PCM. If the circuits are good, have the PCM checked at a dealer service department or other properly equipped repair facility."

Myself not being a master repair technician, I followed the above instructions and got a reading of 1.8 volts. This just so happens to coincide with the P0122 code - TPS voltage low. So, again not being a master repair technician, my thought is "crap in, crap out". If it's low before getting to the TPS, I'm led down the path it's not the TPS. And this is where I'm at now.
Unread 01-13-2010, 04:04 PM   #10
bigbill888
1996 ZJ 

did you figure this out?
All work well
bigbill888 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2010, 06:27 PM   #11
slimjts
2003 WJ 

Not yet. The connections to the PCM are good, but there is no way I'm going to open it up and take a look in there. I'm hoping it's not the PCM, but I don't really know where else to turn other than throwing money at it and replacing parts at will (MAP, IAC, anything else with the word "sensor" at the end, etc.). Probably going to end up back at the dealer and out of my hair. Another thought is that the PCM just needs to re-flashed(?).

Still stuck worse than Metro in a mud pit...
Unread 03-29-2010, 09:41 AM   #12
nicksmama

not again!!

I was just wondering if you ever found out what this was? I thought we solved the problem on my Jeep, but after 13 months it started doing it again. Needless to say, we are at a loss of what it could be. It is at the shop now and the mechanic says he wants to, at a cost of $550.00, replace all (4) oxygen sensors. However there is no check engine light so, even he agrees, that this may not be the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
nicksmama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2010, 10:34 AM   #13
slimjts
2003 WJ 

Thanks for bringing this back up, forgot to post the good news!

It has been fixed, but not after some digging. What ended up happening is that the wires from the PCM to the TPS were routed through too hot of an area and had their coatings melted together and that was causing the problem. New wires & moved to a less heat-prone place has fixed things.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.