interior LED lights "ghosting" after install - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > interior LED lights "ghosting" after install

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 03-07-2014, 01:37 PM   #1
Goonie_JRK
2002 WJ 

interior LED lights "ghosting" after install

I swapped out the map lights floor lights about to do the doors and ashtray glove box too when I noticed my lights ghost when the vehicle is running and after i turn it off for a while. They still function perfectly normal otherwise. eventually they turn off and its not a timer thing they can stay on for a long time, its been -2 in the depth of winter here in NH sometimes and they do not seem to drain the battery any since it starts right up, anyone hear of this an idea of what the hell is going on with them?

Goonie_JRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2014, 02:09 PM   #2
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie_JRK View Post
I swapped out the map lights floor lights about to do the doors and ashtray glove box too when I noticed my lights ghost when the vehicle is running and after i turn it off for a while. They still function perfectly normal otherwise. eventually they turn off and its not a timer thing they can stay on for a long time, its been -2 in the depth of winter here in NH sometimes and they do not seem to drain the battery any since it starts right up, anyone hear of this an idea of what the hell is going on with them?
Never heard of that, though, I do have an LED in my gauge cluster ABS light that glows dimly. I will have to put the light bulb back in. Maybe it's a polarity issue? Try pulling it out, turn it around, and put it back in. LED's are diodes and they have a positive and negative side to them.

Sent from my iPad using electrons
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2014, 03:56 PM   #3
losttech

2000 WJ 

I had my overhead ones do this once when I left it pushed in and turned off the jeep it just had this little glow.
Pushed the overhead lights again to off and that was issue.
Don't know if that helps or not but that's the only time I have seen ghosting with mine.
losttech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2014, 03:59 PM   #4
imaguy3
2004 WJ 

I thought I read on here that if you change too many of your incandescent bulbs to LED then there isn't enough resistance in the line, and you get a constant glow through the LED's? I thought I've read it where people have just wired a simple resistor into the line to solve the problem. Or people leave the footwell lights incandescent.

Try putting your glove box and foot well back to incandescent and see if anything changes.
Unread 03-07-2014, 04:03 PM   #5
losttech

2000 WJ 

You know do you have the rear cargo light right above the rear door as a LED my lights would have issues with that one as a LED all other everywhere inside are LED except that one I left it regular due to it causing weird issues.
losttech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2014, 02:33 PM   #6
2000_limited
2000 WJ 

Quote:
My friend's Ford Ranger does the same thing when he put LED in the dome light. It turns off and just slightly glows for a few seconds, then comes back on.
2000_limited is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2014, 06:54 AM   #7
Goonie_JRK
2002 WJ 

I appreciate everyone's help on this It might just be the resistance issue. If memory serves me correctly they only stayed on after i changed out the floor lights. I might throw those back in and see what this does. After it snows that is...
Unread 03-10-2014, 07:04 AM   #8
2000_limited
2000 WJ 

Quote:
I appreciate everyone's help on this It might just be the resistance issue. If memory serves me correctly they only stayed on after i changed out the floor lights. I might throw those back in and see what this does. After it snows that is...
Let us know.

I know my friend has only changed his dome light and it does this. But as I said, that is in his Ranger.
2000_limited is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2014, 09:19 AM   #9
its-me-B
2002 WJ 

Mine did this also, but when I installed underbody leds with a three way switch they stopped. If I leave the switch to turn on the underbody lights with with domes it doesn't do it.
Zombie Outbreak Response Unit #396
its-me-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2014, 09:34 AM   #10
spud2388

It has to do with the resistance of the LEDs vs the standard bulbs. I know on my WJ, and many many others, there is a constant voltage going throughout the vehicle, even when certain circuits are "off". The small amount of voltage is low enough that it won't illuminate regular bulbs, but with LEDs being more sensitive, it turns them on slightly. If you search around, there are resistors that you can install that get rid of this, but I don't know which ones off hand.
spud2388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2014, 10:21 AM   #11
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Solid state switching is designed around an expected load. When you significantly reduce the load, unexpected things can happen (any two vehicles may not behave the same way) . Sometimes it's just a matter of a capacitor discharging, other times the switching circuit could be confused and not pull the voltage down.

I would add that it may be weird but you're probably not harming anything.

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2014, 02:31 PM   #12
Jer-Bear
2002 WJ 

I just had this problem and fixed it myself. The issue is actually a grounding problem. Since LED's are polarity sensitive, they ground completely different than normal incandescent bulbs. The reason I came to that conclusion was because the lights "ghost" when there is a missing bulb, telling you a bulb is burned out. The solution? I soldered a 100ohm 1/2 watt resistor into my cargo bay light and it fixed it! Basically, the resistor is a fake ground. It fools the system into thinking its grounded as well as an incandescent bulb. So go pick up a resistor, and just touch it to each little "clamp" in the cargo bay with all the LED bulbs IN. It should fix the problem. If you can't solder, just find a way to wiggle it into or beside the LED bulb so it stays. I literally solved this yesterday. Good luck to you!
Unread 03-12-2014, 07:03 AM   #13
Goonie_JRK
2002 WJ 

Jer-Bear any chance you could snap a shot of it. I can solder small stuff like this no problem just easier when i see it. If so thank you if not i'll attempt to figure it out. Now just to find a radio shack that isn't closing...
Unread 03-12-2014, 08:48 AM   #14
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer-Bear View Post
I just had this problem and fixed it myself. The issue is actually a grounding problem. Since LED's are polarity sensitive, they ground completely different than normal incandescent bulbs. The reason I came to that conclusion was because the lights "ghost" when there is a missing bulb, telling you a bulb is burned out. The solution? I soldered a 100ohm 1/2 watt resistor into my cargo bay light and it fixed it! Basically, the resistor is a fake ground. It fools the system into thinking its grounded as well as an incandescent bulb. So go pick up a resistor, and just touch it to each little "clamp" in the cargo bay with all the LED bulbs IN. It should fix the problem. If you can't solder, just find a way to wiggle it into or beside the LED bulb so it stays. I literally solved this yesterday. Good luck to you!
Yeah, I am a bit confused. Are you soldering, or fitting, the resistor across each end of the LED?

rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2014, 09:23 PM   #15
Jer-Bear
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdkendrick View Post

Yeah, I am a bit confused. Are you soldering, or fitting, the resistor across each end of the LED?

I'll get a picture up soon. I soldered a resistor onto the back side of the metal contacts at the end.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.