Interesting observation: elect windows - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Interesting observation: elect windows

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 08-24-2014, 09:54 PM   #1
Rick14

Interesting observation: elect windows

About a year ago my '99 grand Cherokee would need the mirrors adjusted EVERY MORNING! I figured the truck was just getting old, the cables were getting worn out, etc, etc, I didn't think too much about it. But recently my Window regulator stopped working so I took off the side panel in order to inspect. After seeing the broken cable I decided to order a new regulator and figured I'd leave the door panel off until I received and installed the new part. So, after Fed-Ex lost the 1st one (long story) they send another one, meanwhile I've been without electric windows and the door panel for nearly 2 weeks now and much to my amazement the mirrors have stayed exactly in the same spot???
1. I'm glad to hear that the problem with my mirrors may not be as extensive as I originally thought but I can't for the life of me figure out what the problem could be. I know that I tried (in the past) leaving the L/R mirror selector in the R and/or middle position and that didn't seem to help. Has anyone else experienced the mysteriously moving mirror syndrome?

Rick14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2014, 10:27 PM   #2
SirSilvia
2002 WJ 

door panels off, the mirror doesn't sound like it's connected. the broken wiring probably touching itself and making the mirror move.
Unread 08-25-2014, 03:19 AM   #3
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Do you have a limited with the memory buttons on the driver side door panel?
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2014, 06:59 AM   #4
wxmanWJ
2000 WJ 

Mine was doing this. I couldn't for the life of me figure out what the problem was. I also had a problem with my driver window needing multiple presses of the button to get it to go down or up. Then one day, all my dome lights stayed on. I did some searching and figured out it was broken wiring in the boot going from the driver door to the cabin. There is a rubber boot holding the wire harness, and power and ground wires for the driver door module (DDM) tend to wear out and break off, causing a ground or a short.

I would pull back the boot and inspect your wiring. Here's a few threads about it:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...ector-1306958/

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/w...s-clip-554593/
Unread 08-25-2014, 08:33 PM   #5
Rick14

I know and appreciate your views but here is the deal. They won't need adjustments all day no matter how much the car is driven, turned on and off or how many times the doors are opened and closed. When I park the car in the evening the mirrors are still good. The next morning they need to be adjusted up/and in, the same amount each morning like clockwork. That's why I thought the cable was just stretching a little every night, but that's not the case. And a short would not be so predictable, again this needs to be adjusted the same amount EACH morning???
Unread 08-25-2014, 09:19 PM   #6
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick14 View Post
I know and appreciate your views but here is the deal. They won't need adjustments all day no matter how much the car is driven, turned on and off or how many times the doors are opened and closed. When I park the car in the evening the mirrors are still good. The next morning they need to be adjusted up/and in, the same amount each morning like clockwork. That's why I thought the cable was just stretching a little every night, but that's not the case. And a short would not be so predictable, again this needs to be adjusted the same amount EACH morning???
Are you sure you set the correct buttons? Set both buttons and see what happens. If it still does it, disable the memory function.

Sent from my iPad using Electrons
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2014, 09:27 PM   #7
Rick14

Done it all a thousand times. Thought I might hear from someone who may have the same problem.
Unread 08-27-2014, 02:25 PM   #8
Rick14

Anyone else having problems with their mirrors going out of adjustment each morning?
Unread 08-28-2014, 09:22 AM   #9
SirSilvia
2002 WJ 

That's most likely the wires going through the door by the hinge with exposed copper touching each other
Unread 08-29-2014, 08:26 PM   #10
Rick14

I thank you for your opinion but it seems strange to me that it would be so predictable each morning. If it were a short I'd think it would be random and more likely on days I drove more and opened the door more. You can bet I'll be checking the wires and dressing them with elect tape before I put the door panel back on but I'm more inclined to think it's something like the electronic window levers or switches.(still waiting for delivery of the window regulator before i put the panels back on, supposedly FedEx lost the 1st one, Haha been over 3 weeks now )
Unread 08-30-2014, 01:30 AM   #11
MadderThanMax

Here's how I cured mine... I changed the EVIC module (?) in the overhead console as I damaged mine trying to change to LEDs (Ham Fisted I Know.. laugh all you want ) But I ordered another and.. guess what? It stopped doing it, I can't explain why but it did.. needless to say I'm a happy bunny..
MadderThanMax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2014, 10:47 PM   #12
Rick14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadderThanMax View Post
Here's how I cured mine... I changed the EVIC module (?) in the overhead console as I damaged mine trying to change to LEDs (Ham Fisted I Know.. laugh all you want ) But I ordered another and.. guess what? It stopped doing it, I can't explain why but it did.. needless to say I'm a happy bunny..
This is very strange but explains why it isn't just a random occurrence. Got my window regulator today and will be installing it tomorrow, thinking about just not hooking up the elect for the driver side window?
Unread 09-02-2014, 09:33 AM   #13
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Quote:
This is very strange but explains why it isn't just a random occurrence. Got my window regulator today and will be installing it tomorrow, thinking about just not hooking up the elect for the driver side window?
Unhook your memory switches, see if that helps. I have also heard that cleaning the contacts, inside the mirror housing has helped some people.

Unread 09-03-2014, 11:07 AM   #14
Rick14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdkendrick View Post
Unhook your memory switches, see if that helps. I have also heard that cleaning the contacts, inside the mirror housing has helped some people.

Door panel is back on, I'll see what it does this morning. Unhooking the memory switches may have been a good idea but cleaning the mirror housing wouldn't make sense if the mirror stays in place when the door panel is off.
Thanks for the advice though!
EDIT: I may unhook my memory switches if the problem persist, that's the best idea I've heard of yet, LOL.
Unread 09-03-2014, 12:40 PM   #15
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Door panel is back on, I'll see what it does this morning. Unhooking the memory switches may have been a good idea but cleaning the mirror housing wouldn't make sense if the mirror stays in place when the door panel is off. Thanks for the advice though! EDIT: I may unhook my memory switches if the problem persist, that's the best idea I've heard of yet, LOL.
I got the idea from the Chrysler Mini-van site. My wife has a Town & Country AWD, and her mirrors don't stay memorized, either. Someone there said, also, to push the mirrors in all directions to clean the contacts, but that didn't work on her van.

Also, my youngest daughter got her license this summer and has been driving my Jeep. The rear passenger window regulator cable broke, and I have the regulator, now, it's just that she has volleyball and soccer practices and games to go to, or it's raining, so I still have not gotten the chance to replace it yet, kinda like your problem.
We need to get her a car. It's a good thing that I work from home.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.